Which RTA tank is the best for beginners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asmani

May 18, 2018
Iran
In this thread the following tanks were suggested and they are available in Iran for the following prices:

Wotofo Serpent SMM (50$)

OBS Crius II (38$)

OBS Engine II (42$)

Which of these tanks has the easiest setup? I'm also open to new suggestions.

P.S. Is there any MTL rta that's not tricky for a beginner?

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
OBS engine V2 is prolly more finicky on the coil fitting side of things than wicking (bad coil placement can make wicking finicky)

The SMM and Crius II (I have both) are pretty much identical when it comes to wicking as they use a "standard" GTA deck style for wicking, cotton measured to go down through the wick holes (and just enough to poke through, for me that's my preferred, and many others) - fold cotton over deck edge and cut level with underside of deck is pretty much how I do it...then fluffed out, and gently poked down the juices holes..

The only difference between the SMM and Crius II is the coil trapping method...the Crius is easier with the clamp, especially if you're using single (non-Clapton fancy schmantz clouds bro) coils

Btw none of the abovementioned tanks can be considered MTL in any way, they are DL or restricted DL (my style) only. SMM is more restrictive out if the box (airflow wide open on both) than the Crius II btw

Ive never done MTL, so no tank opinions from me there sorry

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!

mimöschen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 15, 2016
    I highly recommend the Crius II for DL, because it's easy to build and wick. Flavor is good as well.

For MTL the Vapefly Galaxies seems to be a very good tank, but I've got no personal experience with it. A lot of people seem to like it very much though and various reviewers are full of praise as well.

I don't like mesh at all in an RTA, and I think it's not worth the hassle. You have to wick it absolutely perfect, if not you'll be asking for the nastiest dryhit you can imagine. And even when you wick it properly, flavor isn't any better than a standard coil, but I admit that's a highly subjective observation and I can't speak explicitly for the Themis Mesh RTA, so take that with a grain of salt.

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 16, 2015
    Sydney, Australia
    I highly recommend the Crius II for DL, because it's easy to build and wick. Flavor is good as well.

For MTL the Vapefly Galaxies seems to be a very good tank, but I've got no personal experience with it. A lot of people seem to like it very much though and various reviewers are full of praise as well.

I don't like mesh at all in an RTA, and I think it's not worth the hassle. You have to wick it absolutely perfect, if not you'll be asking for the nastiest dryhit you can imagine. And even when you wick it properly, flavor isn't any better than a standard coil, but I admit that's a highly subjective observation and I can't speak explicitly for the Themis Mesh RTA, so take that with a grain of salt.
    I know someone who ordered a non-mesh Themis and got a mesh one and hated it. Luckily the Themis I ordered had a faulty topcap, so I sent him my non-mesh deck. Happy camper....

Mesh is a fricking waste of time in an RTA for all the fiddling involved....

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    The Ares is stupid easy (but to be fair, I "failed" a lot of tanks first). The doggy has great flavor and it's only a hard build (apparently) if you are me. The Siren V2 I love, but be warned there are various dissenting opinions about flavor and etc., but it's easy to build IMO.

Anna

Janusz

ECF Veteran
    Feb 22, 2018
    Illinois, USA
    I found that Vapefly Galaxies MTL RTA is also available. How is it?

It is nice looking tank... flavor is very good... securing coil is very easy...wicking is a little more challenging... not as easy like doggystyle or siren but after a while you will know how to do it so cotton is not compressed too much or too loose in wicking basins... draw is very similar to cigarettes...rather pretty tight... at biggest insert and biggest AF holes open is not more airy than SJMY Doggystyle...at smallest insert and smallest AF holes is probably tighter than berserker...

Top filling is easy...I have it just for a week and so far no leaks even if refilling with AF holes opened. One thing I do no like is gear wheel AF... it is hard for me to see which size holes are open and it is quite loose and easily can be pushed out from chosen position... but my vision is not so great... for person with great vision it should be no problem...

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    The Vandy Vape Berserker MTL RTA (available in 22mm Mini and 24mm reg.) are both great, IMO. They're both very easy to build on, provide wonderful flavor, have a variety of airflow hole sizes to choose from, and the vapor is extremely smooth, to me and quite a few others who really love them.

Mysteron

ECF Veteran
    May 23, 2018
    Land of Smiles
    In your other thread, the title of which is almost the same, you ask about RTAs but make no reference to MTL. Here you are talking about 3 tanks (2 are single coil and one is dual), none of which are MTL but ask with a 'PS' about MTL so it's kinda confusing and not easy to give advice as folks can't be sure what you actually want, single or dual coil, MTL or DTL with restrictive hit. None of the tanks in your other thread were MTL either, have you decided you now want MTL or is the MTL part a separate question?

There are several 'purpose specific' MTL tanks on the market, some of which have been mentioned, of those I have tried and like the Berserker and the Ares but you make reference to 'simulating smoking'. There are many tanks out there that also offer a more restrictive draw by having smaller chimneys combined with tighter airflows that can be closed right down but are not MTL specific (MTL specific tanks are too tight for me) so it depends on how close to 'simulating smoking' you want to get. Several of the non specific MTL tanks are easy to build, the Serpent SMM and Ammit 25 can be closed quite a way down. I'm reluctant to list and go into detail about others in case the requirements change again.

As (it seems) that you might be exploring what might work for you, if you don't mind dripping you might also want to consider a single coil RDA (there are also RDTAs, RDAs with a small tank, but personally I don't like them) which can also be bought in MTL (such as the Berserker, there a 3 Berserker versions), wide open and restrictive DTL styles. While some of the RTAs are very good these days the flavour for me of RDAs is night and day different, even the small Recurve RDA blows any tank I own out of the water on flavour (including the Serpent SMM and the Ammit 25). In many cases (like the Recurve and Nudge 22) they are super easy to build and wick. If over time you find dripping a pain you could in the future pick up a squonk mod like the Pulse 80 which have a juice bottle fitted, needing just an occasional squeeze to shoot juice up into the tank. Another option to consider, especially if flavour is a concern.

Everyone will have their own preference and there are variations of 'easy', there are dozens of reviewers on YouTube (Vaping with Vic, Legion, Suck My Mod, The Vapor Chronicles, Jai Haze and Vapn Fagan to name just a few of, IMO, the better ones - hopefully there is no restriction on viewing these vids where you are). If you haven't done it already I'd suggest pulling up the videos from 4-5 of them for each tank you have an interest in, watch them all through, then maybe ask questions once you are sure what it is exactly you want and have narrowed the list down. You can then see quite easily how easy they look to build and whether they offer a vape style you think you might like when the reviewer vapes them (I also prefer a slightly restrictive DTL hit vs some of the big, open, airy RDAs but am not keen on MTL), most reviewers will make mention of MTL capabilities or how much the airflow can be closed down on non-specific MTL tanks. You can then ask further fine-tuning questions against a more certain shortlist.

Last edited:

Mysteron

ECF Veteran
    May 23, 2018
    Land of Smiles
    No need to apologise, it can be a real maze when trying to fathom through what you want and communities like this can help avoid expensive mistakes. I think I edited the post above after you read it, so check out the added paragraph about RDAs, another (and IMO excellent) option that you might enjoy even more. Happy hunting and good luck :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread