• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Which stereotypes fit you and which do not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxfur

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 3, 2012
Portland, Oregon
Stereotypical:
I love musicals and the theatre. I wear my silver rings, bracelets, and necklaces everywhere. My favorite sweats are rather shiny with pink stripes and yes, I wear them to pick up my mail in the s**tkicker sawmill town where my PO box is. Cry at movies, books, songs. Love mah kittehs. I'm a lover not a fighter. Can't stand sports (except gymnastics, love!). NPR member.

Atypical:
Former soldier - US army - field artillery. Gunsmith and avid gun collector. Build and fire my own fireworks. Do all of my own vehicle wrenching. Prefer hanging out with my girlfriends (girl-friends?). Live in the middle of the forest far from nightclubs, danceclubs, bars. Don't / won't dance. Married for 15 years (to a girl!). NRA member.

Let's see umm Stereotypical I talk I guess kinda gay and when I drink I turn into a black woman, I love getting flowers to put into the nice vase we have in the kitchen, I wear flipflops whenever I can even if it's raining, I gesture with my hands a lot when I talk, I say gurl a lot, lol that's about it. My bf on the other hand is a construction worker and whenever he tries to queen out it hurts my uterus. It just doesn't fit him. Whenever he tells somebody he's gay they are always shocked. I've noticed that stereotypes do come from some truth but of course not everybody is the same.

SilverBear

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2009
Haha my bf is installing a roof today and tomorrow, I'll try and get a pic of his ... up there. Haha or I could just take a video of him trying to be all gay and saying Oh Gurl.

Well, it's kind of chilly in IN today, so a nice shirtless nip shot would suffice!!! :D

j/k !!!

.... ummm, no... I'm not j/k !!!

pinezy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2011
Texas, US
Interesting topic! And funny as hell to boot =)

I think I'm stereotypical in the fact that I have a negative sense of fashion. For me, dressing up is asking my wife if my t-shirt matches my jeans. It usually doesn't. I love grilling outdoors. I fix things that are broken because my wife's voice gets unnaturally high pitched when something doesn't work right and she starts saying things like "if that doesn't get fixed somebody is sleepin' on the couch!!". So I google it to death and do the best I can. LOL. And I believe that if I can't fix it, Duct Tape surely will. I have been to Lillith Fair. I often get called "sir" on the phone.

Non-stereotypical - hmmm...I hate sports. I only watch softball because our son plays. I've never gone hunting. I have very long hair. I don't like taking things apart or tinkering with them, because I will break it and then I will have to buy a new one because I won't be able to fix it. Or I'll have to come up with a really, really good reason why it just fell apart all on it's own without any help from me. I'm not into Ani DiFranco. I find Birkenstocks uncomfortable. I am an unrepentant carnivore. I love electronics and computers. We don't own a truck. We don't own a vehicle that I'll have to spend hours in the hot sun staring at the engine of pretending that I know wtf I'm looking at. I can't tell you the difference between 10w40 and 5w40 (i'm not even sure I wrote that right). When the car makes a noise, I call my very straight baby sister and ask her to listen to it and let me know if its about to blow up. We own no pets. I am majorly domestic. I do the cooking and cleaning. I'm extremely retentive about how the laundry is washed, dried and folded. Incense makes me sneeze and I absolutely abhor plaid. LOL.

I think that's about it. =)

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
Interesting topic! And funny as hell to boot =)

I think I'm stereotypical in the fact that I have a negative sense of fashion. For me, dressing up is asking my wife if my t-shirt matches my jeans. It usually doesn't. I love grilling outdoors. I fix things that are broken because my wife's voice gets unnaturally high pitched when something doesn't work right and she starts saying things like "if that doesn't get fixed somebody is sleepin' on the couch!!". So I google it to death and do the best I can. LOL. And I believe that if I can't fix it, Duct Tape surely will. I have been to Lillith Fair. I often get called "sir" on the phone.

Non-stereotypical - hmmm...I hate sports. I only watch softball because our son plays. I've never gone hunting. I have very long hair. I don't like taking things apart or tinkering with them, because I will break it and then I will have to buy a new one because I won't be able to fix it. Or I'll have to come up with a really, really good reason why it just fell apart all on it's own without any help from me. I'm not into Ani DiFranco. I find Birkenstocks uncomfortable. I am an unrepentant carnivore. I love electronics and computers. We don't own a truck. We don't own a vehicle that I'll have to spend hours in the hot sun staring at the engine of pretending that I know wtf I'm looking at. I can't tell you the difference between 10w40 and 5w40 (i'm not even sure I wrote that right). When the car makes a noise, I call my very straight baby sister and ask her to listen to it and let me know if its about to blow up. We own no pets. I am majorly domestic. I do the cooking and cleaning. I'm extremely retentive about how the laundry is washed, dried and folded. Incense makes me sneeze and I absolutely abhor plaid. LOL.

I think that's about it. =)

:lol: Great post Pinezy! :)

ScottinSoCal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
ProVari Nirvana
I can't tell you the difference between 10w40 and 5w40

The first number is the viscosity (how thick it is) at ambient temperature, and the second number is the thickness at engine operating temperature. A lower number is thinner. So 5w40 is thinner at cold temperatures than 10w40. Both of them are the same thickness at engine operating temperature. It's important that it be thinner when cold, so it will flow and lubricate the engine properly before everything has heated up. Most modern engines spec 5w40, or even 5w30, because the build tolerances are incredibly tight, and it takes a thin liquid to squeeze into the tiny gaps.

And that's my non-stereotypical contribution for the day. And a good part of the reason I keep getting told I'm a straight man trapped in a gay man's body.

pinezy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2011
Texas, US
The first number is the viscosity (how thick it is) at ambient temperature, and the second number is the thickness at engine operating temperature. A lower number is thinner. So 5w40 is thinner at cold temperatures than 10w40. Both of them are the same thickness at engine operating temperature. It's important that it be thinner when cold, so it will flow and lubricate the engine properly before everything has heated up. Most modern engines spec 5w40, or even 5w30, because the build tolerances are incredibly tight, and it takes a thin liquid to squeeze into the tiny gaps.

And that's my non-stereotypical contribution for the day. And a good part of the reason I keep getting told I'm a straight man trapped in a gay man's body.

Whoa. I actually understood that. But, if my wife asks I'm still going to shrug my shoulders and say "I dunno babe". LOL. Or she'll be expecting me to be able to do complicated things like tune ups. Although, I did watch a friend change the wheel bearings on our previous car. I even stood there and looked interested for the first 5 minutes. Maybe a lil less.

Thanks for explaining that =)

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011

Well in my stereotypical way, I had no idea!! Might need to know this some day! :)

a9pzlu.jpg

...... :D :D :D :D

pringles13

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2011
jaw-juh

So is it non-stereotypical that I didn't know this?

pinezy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2011
Texas, US
So is it non-stereotypical that I didn't know this?

It's entirely possible. LOL. Much in the same way other people of Hispanic descent start speaking to me in Spanish thinking I'll understand, all the car people I associate with, once they find out I'm gay, start talking to me like I should know what they're talking about. Unfortunately, most of the Spanish I know I learned when I was 7 (a very very very long time ago) and on Sesame Street (abierto...cerrado...abierto....cerrado). The same way that most of what I know about cars came from watching Starsky and Hutch and the OG Knight Rider. I kind of subscribe to the Ronco Showtime Rotisserie school of vehicular knowledge....set it and forget it.

pringles13

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2011
jaw-juh
I know that when gauges don't read right, something needs to be done or when it makes weird noises, something needs to be looked at, and I know when to change the oil. I do know HOW to change a tire, HOW to change the oil, but I just don't do those things myself. I will check the oil and tire pressure though.. and replace the wiper fluid and add AC coolant and change the air filter.. but that's about it.

ScottinSoCal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
ProVari Nirvana
Whoa. I actually understood that. But, if my wife asks I'm still going to shrug my shoulders and say "I dunno babe". LOL. Or she'll be expecting me to be able to do complicated things like tune ups.

If your car was made after about 2000, tune ups are a breeze. At somewhere between 80 and 100 thousand miles you change the spark plugs, you change the distributor cap (if it has one) and check the spark plug cables and replace them if they need it. Everything else is handled by the computer. Not like the old days when you had to do it every 25,000 miles and you had points, plugs, condensor, rotor, cables, carburetor adjustment, timing, and all that happy crap. Although I still like working on old cars, I've always hated adjusting points and timing.

A coworker is selling an old 72 Beetle, and I'm considering picking it up to rebuild the engine and get it working properly. I played with it a little bit one day when he brought it in to work and he's decided he wants something he can just drive. I think working on it and making it right is a lot more fun than driving it.

pinezy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2011
Texas, US
If your car was made after about 2000, tune ups are a breeze. At somewhere between 80 and 100 thousand miles you change the spark plugs, you change the distributor cap (if it has one) and check the spark plug cables and replace them if they need it. Everything else is handled by the computer. Not like the old days when you had to do it every 25,000 miles and you had points, plugs, condensor, rotor, cables, carburetor adjustment, timing, and all that happy crap. Although I still like working on old cars, I've always hated adjusting points and timing.

A coworker is selling an old 72 Beetle, and I'm considering picking it up to rebuild the engine and get it working properly. I played with it a little bit one day when he brought it in to work and he's decided he wants something he can just drive. I think working on it and making it right is a lot more fun than driving it.

Phew. I may be safe. '99 Buick Century. LOL. Our prior car was a '97 Ford Explorer. And even the mechanic had a hell of a time getting the last spark plug and plug wire on. Had to remove the front passenger side tire and then do about an hour of fiddling and cussing. Granted, as it turned out he seriously sucked as a mechanic. As we left the shop the car was driving like it was a 90-year old asthmatic with pneumonia and the speedometer/odometer and cruise control no longer functioned. We went right back, popped the hood, started the car...and sparks everywhere. Right where he didn't put one of the plug wires back on properly. Speedometer/odometer/cruise control never worked again. Of course, the mechanic denied all responsibility. Needless to say, we sold it and got the "new" car. And we saw the shop had closed down about a month later.

Oh! I can squeeze the trigger on the R-134a can thingy all by myself =) I'm too short to attach the hose thingy to the other thingy on the car, without having to climb up on the running engine and possibly roasting something sensitive or getting caught. But I did google the recharging thingy and showed my wife where to put that hose thingy. Well...I showed her the picture of it and she found it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread