Which Vendor for Premade Clapton Wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoLeak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Dec 8, 2009
    USA
    I recently jumped back into RTA's after years of using tanks with premade coils. I tried a bunch of the latest RTAs and found my favorites. I bought SS 316L wire in all sizes and learned the latest coil-making techniques. Turns out I like simple claptons as much as the more complex wire types and it's been my go-to for a while.

I've had my fill of winding clapton so I'm looking for recommendations on where to buy spools of quality premade clapton in SS 316L. I usually make 26/32 or 26/38 100% SS 316L.

What brands of premade clapton do you all recommend and where can I buy it? I'm not looking for premade coils, just raw clapton wire on spools.

Reactions: stols001

NoLeak

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Dec 8, 2009
    USA
    My understanding is clapton wire is something of a cottage industry. Dozens of companies make it. The question becomes what kind of Clapton to you want?

I don't know yet. I'm asking for recommendations on the brand of clapton wire. Then I need to know which shops carry that brand of wire.

252chevyboyz

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 10, 2012
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Totally agree on Advanced Vape Supply. I have a few different kinds from them and they seem to make some good quality stuff. I found out quickly I didn't have the time make anything other standard clapton wire so I just order a bit at a time from them

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

PJReid

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 2, 2013
    Virginia
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I went with AVS.
    Great choice and I don't think you will be sorry. I love the fact that they post a resistance chart for each wire for the number of wraps. That makes is very simple to decide what I will like best. When I was looking for wire, that chart made my decisions easy.

Reactions: Letitia

PJReid

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 2, 2013
    Virginia
    I saw AVS has premade 430 SS clapton. First time I've seen premade 430 SS clapton for sale. I would have snagged a roll but I already have a pile of new vaping gear to mess around with. Trying a new alloy will have to wait.
    I bought a spool of the 430 SS Clapton wire. I haven't made any coils with it yet but will post a report once I do. Since that wire is TC only and I have had dreadful luck with TC, I hope that is my answer.

Reactions: Letitia

NoLeak

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Dec 8, 2009
    USA
    I've found that TC depends a lot on the RTA. Some are flawless for TC, others work sometimes, some aren't worth a damn.

I follow a couple princials for TC builds. First, I use the highest resistance that's practical, usually 0.30-0.50 for dual coil. Higher resistance results in a bigger change in resistance when the coil heats. That makes it eaiser for the mod to sense temperature. You're less likely to get kicked out of TC mode that way.

For dual coil builds, I make absolutely identical coils. They're as uniform as I can possibly make them. That includes the length of the wire that goes from the end of the coil into the posts. If I dry fire and the coils don't heat uniformly, I work with them until they do.

I get bulletproof TC on TC-friendly RTA's when I build like that. Even with exotic wire types.

PJReid

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 2, 2013
    Virginia
    Thanks, @NoLeak. I will keep that in mind. My RTAs are single coil, except for the RBA deck of the Big Baby Beast which I hardly ever use. I think I was turned off to TC when I had bad luck with a Coolfire IV TC 100. Silly me, I thought that was what it was designed for. Those are packed away now as I prefer changeable battery mods. It is time to try again. What RTAs do you use. I have OBS Engine Nanos and am looking at a GeekVape Avacado 24.

NoLeak

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Dec 8, 2009
    USA
    The Big Baby Beast and TFV4 fall into my "not worth a damn" category for TC.

My current favorites based on TC and overall performance are Aromamizer (Plus, Supreme V2), OBS Engine, OBS Engine Nano, and the Modfather. The Merlin Mini and Griffin 25 work well for TC but aren't on my favorites list for other reasons.

I couldn't get TC to work reliably on the Big Baby Beast or TFV4. In my experience, any tank that uses premade coils and needs a special "RBA deck" to be rebuildable isn't a good choice for TC.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread