Whistle after drilling out Steam Turbine clone...

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Ricky~

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2013
Enterprise, Alabama
So I decided to buy a fasttech genesis steam turbine to see if I might like moving away from my Protanks without dropping a lot of cash, but the four little air holes weren't cutting it (or at least not with any wick/coil combos that I tried)...so I drilled out one of the two holes on each side to 3/32 or so. Now I am getting a TON of airflow and I think the thing is now going to be vapable...except for the irritating rape whistle sound it makes. I can't even use it in the house when the family is home, lol.

Any ideas on a solution? Drill the holes bigger? Drill out the other two tiny holes? Drill one hole a different size? Ditch the while darned thing and start over?? :oops:

~Ricky~

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2013
Enterprise, Alabama
Well...I'm not sure I follow you exactly. Here is the model I have: $14.80 Steam Turbine Genesis Style Rebuildable Atomizer (3.0mL) - w/ stainless steel drip tip at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

If you look at the main picture, you'll see two little holes in the side in the top section. There are also two of these holes on the other side that you cannot see. I drilled the top hole on each side. The air goes in there, right next to the coil(s), and then out of the drip tube. Are you asking if I drilled out the driptip too? If so, no I didn't, but I didn't think that would help since it whistles even if I draw on it without the driptip inserted, which would give it a pretty huge hole on that end to start with.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

~Ricky~

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2013
Enterprise, Alabama
I smoothed both the outside and inside of both holes, so I don't think that burrs or rough edges are the culprit.

I was doing some more 'sperimenting with it t'nite...If I take a rapid draw off of it it stops whistling...but I have to do a rapid lung hit. There is only a whistle at the beginning and end as I stop drawing. I'm thinking that maybe I'll enlarge the holes a bit at a time and see if that helps the issue. It's cheap enough that if I end up trashing it I can order another one and use the cover from that and have a spare tank, deck, and drip tube I suppose, but there has to be some way of fixing it I would imagine.

Anyone with an authentic Genesis Steam Turbine that can tell me the diameter of the air holes on the original?

silber

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
You missed the other, more important part of rat6fink's post, you need to chamfer the holes you drilled or else it will whistle. Chamfering is basically cutting the hole into a cone shape instead of a cylinder shape, and it will get rid of your whistling. You can do it with a chamfering bit (recommended if you are using a hand drill) or a larger drill bit. Basically the outside of the air hole should be larger diameter than the inside or you will get rape whistle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread