Who do I have to kill to get a Kayfun or Russian 91 (or decent facsimile)

Status
Not open for further replies.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
I was watching a video with pbusardo and he mentioned that his go to topper was a kayfun. I did some research and I think I'm interested in getting one.

First of all, let me state. I am typically a mini protank 2 type of guy. I dry burn my coils to clean them and replace the wicking material, but as far as rebuilding the head completely, I suck, and suck bad. My fingers just aren't up to the task.

I hear that the Kayfun and Russians have a bit more room to work with and are basically a bit more user friendly because you don't have the small confines you have to work with when dealing with rebuilding a Kanger head.

I also like the fact that they are "tank" systems because I really have no desire to drip, either in my home or out and about.

So now that I'm looking to get one, I can't find them anywhere. It's like they are permanently out of stock.

Sure, I could go to fasttech, and get a cheap clone. But I have a bit of a beef with fasttech over some "mislabeled" Kanger Mini Protanks, and I'm not really into getting some sort of mystery metal with cheap plating on it.

Does anyone know where I can find a Kayfun, Russian 91 or quality clone. I can spend between 60 to 100 bucks because I know that it will last. I'm looking into this because as I lower my nic concentration, the throat hit is diminishing, and I really want to substitute the lack of throat hit with flavor, and I'm told these devices are flavor monsters.

Any suggestions?

vdaedalus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
I ordered a Kayfun Lite Plus just over 24 hours ago from Intaste in Germany, and it's scheduled to be delivered by noon tomorrow (I'm in Canada). If you take a look at their site and get scared away by the price, keep in mind there's 19% tax added that will be subtracted when you use a North American address.

And even if you decide rebuildables aren't for you, you should be able to sell it and not lose much at all.

jpcwon

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
North Easton, MA
I am an ebay guy....I got all four of my Kayfuns (authentic and clones) on Ebay for good prices. The clones are a bit easier to find than the originals, but if you keep looking then they pop up from time to time...HCigar and EHPro make very nice clones...

I say go for it...I too was hesitant as to whether I wanted to get into building coils, but I quickly caught the bug....it is a lot of fun IMO!!

Sent from my SCH-i705 using Tapatalk

cantstopwontstop

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2013
cary,nc,usa
I have two clones and both function very well, they're pretty much the same thing and more affordable. But if you have the fund go ahead and get a Russian 91% I just looked at vapor kings website and they have them in stock for 92.50$. As soon as I go back to work and have the cash I'll be buying one myself. Just FYI the clones I have are a Kayfun 3.1 clone by Hcigar - very nice as well as the KFL+ clone from Ehpro, you'll be able to get either of these for under 50$. Good luck they're worth it!!

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
Thanks for all the quick replies.

One thing that turned me off of RBA's was my really crappy experience with my attempt at rebuilding my Mini PT2 heads. I can rewick fine, but getting I have a hard time getting the coils right and fitting them into the head body.

The only reason I'm considering this is that pbusardo says he wants the best flavor for the least work, and that is my sentiment exactly. However some have said that building on a kayfun is EASIER than a PT and others said it is harder. Also do you NEED a torch to torch the coil and prep the ecowool?

I guess I'm wondering, what am I getting into. Something that I'm gonna say eff it, and get frustrated and requires a lot of practice, or is there enough room for my fat fingers and failing eyes to actually be able to perform....

Thanks again.

cantstopwontstop

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2013
cary,nc,usa
Thanks for all the quick replies.

One thing that turned me off of RBA's was my really crappy experience with my attempt at rebuilding my Mini PT2 heads. I can rewick fine, but getting I have a hard time getting the coils right and fitting them into the head body.

The only reason I'm considering this is that pbusardo says he wants the best flavor for the least work, and that is my sentiment exactly. However some have said that building on a kayfun is EASIER than a PT and others said it is harder. Also do you NEED a torch to torch the coil and prep the ecowool?

I guess I'm wondering, what am I getting into. Something that I'm gonna say eff it, and get frustrated and requires a lot of practice, or is there enough room for my fat fingers and failing eyes to actually be able to perform....

Thanks again.
Nah don't need a torch it just helps get rid of any residual stuff left on your Ekowool. You might get an off flavor for a little while but it'll go away. Kayfuns are much easier than rebuilding those tiny PT heads. Honestly probably easier than any other RBA I own.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
i hear good things about the black edition available on ebay. there are a few members that have 4 or 5 versions and seem to like the black edition. mine just came in today, so haven't built on it yet. have lots and lots of new goodies to play around with. though, the build quality looks fantastic.

for perfect coils, check out the coiling gizmo being discussed here... http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ncrease-vapor-flavor-th-240.html#post12142855

jchamb2

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Cleburne, tx
I have about 4 clones and 1 SvoeMesto Kayfun Lite, the clones are from EHpro, Tobeco and Hcigar. All mine came from Ebay, and I love them. I have 2 Kayfun 3.1s, a Kayfun Line and 2 Kayfun Lite Plus RBAs. My favorite of them all is an EHpro Kayfun Lite Plus clone, and it costs about $40 from Ebay (and most all of the good sellers ship really fast).

I just use 2 or 3mm silica and 32 gauge kanthal, and they work great for me. I started using Kanger Protank IIs and the mini IIs, and have rebuilt a few. I ALWAYS have problems rebuilding those. The space is very small, it's hard to get the coils small enough to fit into the little space, and then when you do the top "chimney" portion will short it out. I still rebuild them, but I usually have to make 2 coils to get one good one.

The Kayfuns are much more forgiving, as you have lots more space to work with. Oh, and my "torch" is a bic lighter...

cantstopwontstop

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2013
cary,nc,usa
Ehh, I don't know, I have an easier time with the pro tank 2 coils than my RDA's :?:

The kayfun/russian isnt an RDA. RDA's (drippers) are a little harder to build, but the kayfun involves wrapping a coil around some ekowool and wrapping the ends of a wire around 2 screws. It couldn't be easier it they built it for you....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread