Who has the IPV4 that actually likes it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
IPV 4 1.jpg

IPV 4 3.jpg

OK I took it apart its just the 2 screws in the battery cover it takes a H 2 driver the back comes off easily no worries about the board or buttons falling out. I used a pencil eraser to remove some of the sliver from the screen. This is a big improvement IMO but it dose leave a black area where the screen is so some people might not like that.

Reactions: smacksy

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
Its not that bad...least it's not for me..
This pic is of the displays lit up in sunlight on my window sill..very readable and they of course get a little brighter when the fire button is pushed.
They are readable driving around town in my truck.. Very seldom do I even have to adjust them in direct sunlight, but I could if needed..works for me! Lol
b1106be16c307b43084aab92218a5a9c.jpg

sent from my XT1080 via Tapatalk

Your screen is more than double the brightness of my screen. Outdoors, I can't see anything on the screen at all.

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
View attachment 458728
View attachment 458729

OK I took it apart its just the 2 screws in the battery cover it takes a H 2 driver the back comes off easily no worries about the board or buttons falling out. I used a pencil eraser to remove some of the sliver from the screen. This is a big improvement IMO but it dose leave a black area where the screen is so some people might not like that.

Thanks for the tip. I just did the same and it is much better. With the mirror coating removed, it is now as bright as the screen on the SX Mini.

Reactions: SissySpike

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
That's odd..they should be about the same I would think..

I think it is a manufacturing variance. I suspect that the screen on mine had a much thicker mirror coating on the backside. It took a considerable amount of erasing to remove the mirror coating.

Reactions: smacksy

smacksy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2014
Alexandria, Louisiana USA
I think it is a manufacturing variance. I suspect that the screen on mine had a much thicker mirror coating on the backside. It took a considerable amount of erasing to remove the mirror coating.
Glad you got it squared away[emoji4]

smacksy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2014
Now I got the bug Im going to disassemble it and maybe paint it green or possibly a swirl paint job with neon colors
Remember if the paint gets scratched the stainless will show through.. I hear stainless is hard to paint and stay scratch/wear free.. Just sayin

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
Remember if the paint gets scratched the stainless will show through.. I hear stainless is hard to paint and stay scratch/wear free.. Just sayin

Its Aluminum if you make a borax dip solution and paint it that way then give it a clear coat its fairly durable. If the mod were stainless I would not paint it Id give it a nice brush finish

smacksy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2014
Its Aluminum if you make a borax dip solution and paint it that way then give it a clear coat its fairly durable. If the Mod were stainless I would not paint it Id give it a nice brush finish
Oh..I thought you were talking about painting the stainless IPV4...my bad! Lol Now my IPV3 is aluminum but not my IPV4..

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
Oh..I thought you were talking about painting the stainless IPV4...my bad! Lol Now my IPV3 is aluminum but not my IPV4..

Unless you have one different from the rest of us its anodized aluminum.

If it were stainless it would be pretty heavy also if you dont believe me take the battery door off and scratch it with a knife You would not be able to that to SS.

smacksy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2014
Unless you have one different from the rest of us its anodized aluminum.

If it were stainless it would be pretty heavy also if you dont believe me take the battery door off and scratch it with a knife You would not be able to that to SS.
I take your word for it... But it is alot heavier than my aluminum IPV3, and its more scratch resistant around the 510 pad... I cut the battery band inside the case and put a little scratch in it... So I guess it is anodised AL .. Learn something new every day on these forums.. Lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread