Why are atlantis coils tasting burnt after 2 days on a 3mg 20/80 mix

Status
Not open for further replies.
0.5- 0.6 ohm, and to me the burnt taste comes from the juice not flowing properly to the middle of the coil. This leads to the inner cotton layer burning. I run 35W on an IPV2, and every couple of hits I'm banging the mod against my palm to make sure the juice flows right, since I see air bubbles float up when I hit it. I ran 25W or less on past coils, but wasn't checking the air bubble situation, and was left with the same problem or burnt taste, but now I am careful and pushing the higher wattage is no problem at all. Which is funny, since it says right on the coil 20W-30W. ;)

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
I had a similar issue with my subtank. It was caused by two different issues.

The first was for some reason the pin on the bottom of the tank was not making good contact with the 510 pin of my mod. This made the resistance jump around and my APV pumped in way too much voltage for the resistance I was using and cause a fierce burnt taste. I replaced the 510 pin in the mod and this fixed this issue. I had to replace the coil too as once they are burnt, they are pretty much done.

Second was poor wicking. Even with those big holes in the head, they just weren't keeping up. I thinned my liquid with a few drops of vodka and it started wicking much better. I now use max VG with about 5% vodka or about 7-10% distilled water. I'm slowly weaning down my VG anyway due to other issues, but if your liquid is not wicking well for you, try thinning it out a little.

Finally, if you've already burnt any of the filler material, I wouldn't continue to use the coil head. I know they are expensive, but maybe consider rewicking it yourself or just replacing it with a new one. There is a very interesting read over in the General Vaping section about the coil heads on the Atlantis - check it out, then replace your coil head if you had any doubts before.

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
I run 20pg/80vg in my Atlantis and have no burnt taste what so ever. I try to make sure the tank is not too cold to allow liquid to flow to the coil. I run my box at 35 watts all day. Hope this helps

You know this is a great point - air temp has a lot to do with how well my devices wick with higher VG ratios being particularly sensitive to cold weather. More reason to add PGA like vodka or even bourbon.

I lived in Manchester England, it's cold there this time of year, that might be part of the problem for sure.

Oh, and I bet it's raining too :D

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
hmmmm day 9 on my original coil, at times running 100% unflavored Vg through it. It still takes on a bit of the residual flavor of whatever I was vaping. I mostly vape custards and vanillas, but they seem to gunk up my RDA pretty horribly. So far no problems in the Atlantis tank. Every other day I also vape a tank of plain PG through it just for kicks. Hopefully this isn't one of those aspire sucker punches where it is great to start and then coil quality gets spotty down the road. Seems as though QC will be a higher priority with a sub ohm coil?

It will be interesting when this coil does conk out to try and rebuild it. The coil is massive should be easy enough.

Edit - and I vape pretty steady at 30w, occasionally smashing it with 40 or more.

It could be the coils, the mix, or the watts you are pushing them at. For me personally I always seemed to have bad experiences with aspire coils in the past. It could have been that I was using max VG or 80% VG juice with their BDC coils. It ultimately led to me getting into rebuilding and changing to 50/50 juice. I heard their new BVC coils were better, but I decided to try out a Kanger Subtank and I have heard their coils are much better now in comparison to their protank coils. So far so good with the subtank. The vape is just as good if not better than my Lemos. Probably due to my building lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread