why are people saying 2x18650 mods have twice the run time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
Do not use series batteries in an e-cig mod without a protection circuit!!

The same is true for parallel also. One could easily argue that parallel should have each battery fused independent of the other. If one battery is weaker the stronger battery will initially take the full load along with helping its weaker partner.

In addition, if not fused independently and one battery fails the good battery will be pushing current into a bad battery. If these batteries are wired together you would need to pull a battery to stop it.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
Do not use series batteries in an e-cig mod without a protection circuit!!

The same is true for parallel also. One could easily argue that parallel should have each battery fused independent of the other. If one battery is weaker the stronger battery will initially take the full load along with helping its weaker partner.

In addition, if not fused independently and one battery fails the good battery will be pushing current into a bad battery. If these batteries are wired together you would need to pull a battery to stop it.

Not sure where you guys are coming from. It is very common practice using battery packs to wire multiple cells in series, parallel, or both (i.e. a 2S2P configuration, which is 4 batteries).

When using batteries in series, they need to be balanced when charging; in a battery pack this is handled by a set of "balancing" leads, which connect to the inner connections. If you're using separate batteries, just charge them in parallel (as a normal charger will do) and keep them in dedicated pairs. You may get slightly better performance if you rotate which battery is on top; this seems to be because heating from the atomizer affects the top battery, but not the bottom.

A protection circuit is never a bad idea, but I particularly don't understand Dougie's comment about them being required for batts in series.

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
Not sure where you guys are coming from. It is very common practice using battery packs to wire multiple cells in series, parallel, or both (i.e. a 2S2P configuration, which is 4 batteries).

When using batteries in series, they need to be balanced when charging; in a battery pack this is handled by a set of "balancing" leads, which connect to the inner connections. If you're using separate batteries, just charge them in parallel (as a normal charger will do) and keep them in dedicated pairs. You may get slightly better performance if you rotate which battery is on top; this seems to be because heating from the atomizer affects the top battery, but not the bottom.

A protection circuit is never a bad idea, but I particularly don't understand Dougie's comment about them being required for batts in series.

Battery packs assembled with matched batteries can not be compared to a device that an unknowing individual can insert two batteries laying around the house that happen to be the right size. These devices are sold to many that have absolutely zero knowledge of battery safety.

Dampmaskin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
Norway
www.steam-engine.org
Battery packs assembled with matched batteries can not be compared to a device that an unknowing individual can insert two batteries laying around the house that happen to be the right size. These devices are sold to many that have absolutely zero knowledge of battery safety.

Not long ago I watched a youtube video by a well known and respected vape gear reviewer. He inserted two 26650s in a regulated mod. When the mod failed to fire, he expressed some surprise, because he believed that both batteries were charged.

He took the batteries out. Then he became unsure if both batteries were indeed charged, or if maybe just one of them was charged. So he tried them in the mod again.

At no point did he pull forth a voltmeter, or comment on safety when using multiple batteries in a mod.

(Q.E.D.)

mrfixit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Akron, Ohio
This is where regulations come in. If we self regulated and the sellers of these devices educate the buyers we should have no problems down the road. Problem is someone sees the latest gadget and sees these giant flavorful clouds of tasty vapor being produced and they go wow I got to get this. They get it and have no clue what they should be doing with it out of the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread