Why do all the vape companies use the USPS instead of UPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
I've always thought Fedex was cheaper, I've shipped tons of stuff USPS back in the day with my eBay business I had and shipping was a nightmare (shipping speakers, receivers, turntables, etc) For my real jobs I've always worked shipping & receiving and most companies i was with used fedex. There was discounts given to the companies that dropped the shipping, but even their public price quotes seemed much lower than USPS.

Although, it could be related to the size of the shipment. USPS might be cheaper for small stuff, and fedex cheaper for big stuff. I just remember paying like 80 bucks to ship a pair of speakers USPS, and shipped much larger heavier boxes through fedex for way cheaper at jobs I've worked.

The last place i worked wasn't even that big, maybe shipped 20 packages a day or so and they still got great deals from Fedex. I wonder if some companies just haven't bothered trying to get a contract deal with fedex or something.

EvilZoe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
I've always thought Fedex was cheaper, I've shipped tons of stuff USPS back in the day with my eBay business I had and shipping was a nightmare (shipping speakers, receivers, turntables, etc) For my real jobs I've always worked shipping & receiving and most companies i was with used fedex. There was discounts given to the companies that dropped the shipping, but even their public price quotes seemed much lower than USPS.

Although, it could be related to the size of the shipment. USPS might be cheaper for small stuff, and fedex cheaper for big stuff. I just remember paying like 80 bucks to ship a pair of speakers USPS, and shipped much larger heavier boxes through fedex for way cheaper at jobs I've worked.

The last place i worked wasn't even that big, maybe shipped 20 packages a day or so and they still got great deals from Fedex. I wonder if some companies just haven't bothered trying to get a contract deal with fedex or something.
FedEx is cheaper (in general), USPS has more trucks on the ground....there are strong points in all the shipping companies. Companies just weigh out what works best for them.

It sucks when deliveries get screwed up, to be sure, but there's no one organization doing the screwing up. Stuff happens when a lot of stuff is happening....lol

jf.coffey

Verified Member
Oct 21, 2013
I quit using ups when I shipped a coffee maker with them INSURED. When the other person got it. It was damaged. They sent it back. When I got it back it gad quite obviously been run through with a fork lift. They refused the insurance claim saying it was improper packaging. I'm still not sure what packaging will properly stand up to someone running a forklift through it...
I for one will NEVER use UPS for anything again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Jawden

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2013
Hilo, HI
UPS has a contract with USPS so even an item was sent out by UPS theres a Chance it can get delivered by USPS. Fedex Also has a contract with USPS since USPS does not own any planes to ship out packages USPS uses Fedex planes for deliveries. just a fyi

How does USPS not have planes? Aren't they federally funded? It is a federal job, is it not?

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
How does USPS not have planes? Aren't they federally funded? It is a federal job, is it not?

What does any of that have to do with owning aircraft? I guess I don't understand the question?

USPS recevies no taxpayer money, they are funded entirely by revenues from postage......just like any other business would fund itself by "products and services" since Postal Reorganization Act of 1970.

However, unlike other businesses, they are set up to be revenue neutral, i.e, break even but not turn a profit.

It's really quite amazing what they do IMHO

Jawden

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2013
Hilo, HI
What does any of that have to do with owning aircraft? I guess I don't understand the question?

USPS recevies no taxpayer money, they are funded entirely by revenues from postage......just like any other business would fund itself by "products and services" since Postal Reorganization Act of 1970.

However, unlike other businesses, they are set up to be revenue neutral, i.e, break even but not turn a profit.

It's really quite amazing what they do IMHO

No, probably my fault. I'm running on two hours of sleep and looking at a 15 hour shift tomorrow. :banghead:

but I just didn't understand exactly how USPS operates. I should have used better wording.

Interesting facts tho!

now, please excuse me while I remove my foot from my mouth....:D

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
No, probably my fault. I'm running on two hours of sleep and looking at a 15 hour shift tomorrow.

You poor thing...........and losing sleep reading at ECF, not like none of us has ever done THAT before, right? :lol:

I hope that 15 hours goes by fast for you tomorrow (today). ;)

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
Well, that's always been the standard question in logistics : do you need it in a hurry or do you need it cheap ?

Usually you can't have both.

Had helicopters on stand-by for a carton weighing 10 lbs - had stuff moving so slow that it got overrun by a limping snail...

You can get your stuff pronto-presto, provided you're willing to pay some hefty shipping fees, or you trade patience for postage---

As I mentioned in another post, it's easy to tell where vapers live - there is a groove in the ground between porch and mailbox...

wheezal

Insane Halon
ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2013
Austin, Tx
for me it's a color preference, anytime i see the color brown, my brain enters a schizophrenic state that can only be abated by drinking human blood or eating way more gummi bears than is healthy for me.

so i'm glad most of these guys use USPS, cuz i'm sure as heck not gunna gorge myself on delicious gummi bears everyday, no matter how much those cute little fruity bears beg me to bite their heads off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread