Why do so many people like vaping at low ohms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

d3mon

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2012
san antonio
running two juices for a couple of weeks...and doing several rebuilds for both...i've discoved i do not enjoy the low ohms vape. big clouds...but COLD to me. every build i made that was sub-1.3 would be fine day one...but the clod vape would be harsh to my throat by day 2. i've built .65, .83 (only sub ohm i liked!), .88. .92, .95, 1.00...and every one got rebuilt the next day.

now both flavors are in the 1.4-1.5 and PERFECT to me.

icyice

ECF Veteran
May 31, 2013
Cali
Another factor that hasn't been discussed in this thread is the size of your air holes, air flow control. I find that vaping at super sub ohm builds, 0.3-0.4 ohm dual coils with 28ga can produce a harsh ... vape. But if you have proper air flow, that harsh vape will change to a much cooler vape, which I prefer. 2 3/32 holes on a dual coil build with 28ga kanthal and cotton wick is the way to go!

Kanj.nguyen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Princeton, NJ
Just more power. If nothing else is specified (how many coils, how many wraps each coil, contact between wick and wire etc. the whole deal) than it doesnt mean anything to your vape.

Saying "i run at this resistance (say, 0.5 ohm)" is just another way of saying "i run at this wattage (say 30 on a fresh battery)". Which, aubsequently, means nothing. How is that 30 watts being distributed? Between how many coils? Whats the mass being heated on each coil? With all that you still only know coil temperature. Theres still the question of how much of that heat is actually being used to vaporize juice.

Low ohm does not mean more vapor, no no. Low ohm means high power output. What you need to determine is heat input.

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
Lower ohms, higher wattages, higher amp draw, less battery life.

While that would be true, there are other factors to take into account. With my subohm setups with large airholes I take a drag that lasts about 3 seconds. When hitting other devices I usually take super long drags, a few warm up puffs, and usually vape for a longer period of time overall.

I get longer usable battery life at a given power with the same size battery with SLR coils than with a "normal" setup. It just depends on how you vape. A subohm setup with large airhole and short drags could be more efficient at delivering more nicotine per unit of energy put in. A few short high current bursts vs. tons and tons of long, drawn out, lengthy current draw at lower current.

DantesInferno

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2012
Central Illinois
I just recently went to sub ohm vaping. All I can say is what I've experienced. On a genesis style atomizer on a mech mod a sub ohm coil gets me more vapor and more flavor than everything else except dripping. If I take the same atty, wrap a 1.4 ohm coil and vape at say 5 volts to get around the equivalent 18 watts the results are not the same.

Sent from Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk 2.

PNW Rider

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
Mukilteo, Wa
With 28 gauge wire.

The wire gauge is a HUGE factor that most people never even consider.
i know im grave diggin' with this thread here, but i have to give ClippinWings props here. THANK YOU for proudly standing up for what you have found works. currently the tip of my tongue is raw from trying everythingi possibly could with 32awg kanthal and i was becoming fed up with everything i was reading, people talking about how they love the throat hit. UGHHH. i have some 30awg wire coming in the mail from Temco and i cant wait. i actually cannot vape with 32awg at 1.9 ohms/2.9 volts anymore because it is too hot. i have found, with your help, and countless rebuilds with 32awg, that i simply dont have the surface area(coil on wick) necessary to make plentiful, COLD vapor. also it seems that tiny little 32 gauge is very picky about being bent or slightly twisted cause "spots" of high resistance and VERY VERY VERY hot wire temps. i get NO flavor NO vapor and worst is im having a nicotine fit and cant vape. before this thread all i could find for achieving COOLER vapor was people .....ing about how their vape was TOO cold. :mad:
now i can (sorta) rest easily knowing that using 7 or so wraps of 30 gauge will at least make it so i can vape. my wire 3 days away in the mail. :facepalm:
when the 28 and 29 gauage kanthal are back in stock at Temco i will be picking those up as well. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

PNW Rider

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
Mukilteo, Wa
OH HECK NO! WattWick this thread needs to come back because there must others out there who had to stop vaping because it was too hot. im going to die before my 30 gauge gets here from california. does anybody want to share thier COOLER VAPE builds? it would be nice to hear somebody's kayfun build with 30gauge and thicker/low resistance coils! here is one video i found with excellent technique:
M3 MicroCoil with Cotton Wick on a Kayfun - In-depth Tutorial - YouTube

PNW Rider

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
Mukilteo, Wa
I just recently went to sub ohm vaping. All I can say is what I've experienced. On a genesis style atomizer on a mech mod a sub ohm coil gets me more vapor and more flavor than everything else except dripping. If I take the same atty, wrap a 1.4 ohm coil and vape at say 5 volts to get around the equivalent 18 watts the results are not the same.
have you ever build a bottom coil device? any idea for what is the best coil size/diameter for cotton wicking?

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
OH HECK NO! WattWick this thread needs to come back because there must others out there who had to stop vaping because it was too hot. im going to die before my 30 gauge gets here from california. does anybody want to share thier COOLER VAPE builds? it would be nice to hear somebody's kayfun build with 30gauge and thicker/low resistance coils! here is one video i found with excellent technique:
(snipped the video)

Had to take a couple of test puffs just to consider how hot it was. Not hot at all. No perceived temperature, really... so I'm guessing it's about body temperature. Mind you, it's 0.8 ohms on a mesh wick. I tried making the same coil on an ekowool wick in a KFL. Now that was hot! With the narrow KFL drip tip design it felt like a laser trying to cut my tongue in half.

PNW Rider

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
Mukilteo, Wa
If you wrap a fat wikicoil with wide spacing between wraps you can get the mellowest (although extremely full flavored and vaporlicious) vape you've ever had @ .8-1Ω.
sorry to pick you people who have found glory already, but do YOU have any thoughts to contribute about what kind of diameter or size of coil to make the cooolest vape possible? im going to be working with 30awg when it shows up but since i cant vape until i get my kanthal(tongue is EFFFD) it would be nice to know exactly what im building and how when it arrives.
i have bomb new DIY juice that i cant vape even at 80%VG because 32awg kanthal is killing my mouth.:mad:
i currently have 6/5 wrap of 32awg at 2.0ohm with two strands of cotton yard that are about 1-1.5mm each.

PNW Rider

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
Mukilteo, Wa
Had to take a couple of test puffs just to consider how hot it was. Not hot at all. No perceived temperature, really... so I'm guessing it's about body temperature. Mind you, it's 0.8 ohms on a mesh wick. I tried making the same coil on an ekowool wick in a KFL. Now that was hot! With the narrow KFL drip tip design it felt like a laser trying to cut my tongue in half.
sounds as if im really going to need that 28 gauge. Temco, come on! they dont have any 28 or 29. dont know if i could make enough wraps for my provari to fire 27gauge. although, even on a cooler vape, i dont think i will ever desire to exceed 5.5 watts, the amp draw is minimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread