Why do the Boge 510 cartos hate my juices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ipetbumblebees

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Chicago, IL
So I recently got some Boge 510's from Good Prophets and they seem to hate my juice. I usually fill my cartos just from dripping into the top with no problems. So far, the Boge's just will not take my juices. I tried the condom method with minor success, but when I try dripping directly onto the filler material, the liquid just doesn't absorb--3 or 4 drops, and they just sit at the top. I wait and wait, and the drops barely absorb, thus I'm unable to add anymore.

The juices I've tried: Bounty Hunter, VR Kentucky Premium, Prime vaping RY4, and Prime vaping Hypnotic Mist (for this one, on my first fill, the condom method did work fairly well).

Basically, I feel like I'm direct dripping with these cartos. I'm not a fan of direct dripping unless I'm testing flavors, so I'd like to actually be able to fill these things. Am I gonna need a syringe? Is that pretty much my only option here?

All of the juices I've tried are 70PG/30VG, except Bounty Hunter, which is 65PG/35VG

They do perform well, by the way--if I only I could get them to fill up... :closedeyes:

Thanks in advance!
Dave

I'm not using Boges, but with the cartos I'm using (RN4081s from azsmokefree) I ran into a problem with one particular juice that's thicker than my others. As goodtimes mentioned, once you get it started it absorbs more quickly. What I ended up doing was adding a few drops of a thinner unflavored liquid (PG would work if you've got some, or maybe thin a small amount of your liquid with DW or PGA if you're into that) and once that soaked in, it absorbed easier. After that first dry-fill was done, no problems on refilling.

cruisedoc

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2009
Ocean Isle Beach, NC
Generally, the high the VG conc, the longer it takes to abosrb. I never had problems w/ Boge (until recently) cartos using VG/PG combos in any combination, or even VG based alone - but I usually thin VG down with a few drop of distilled water. That said, I read a complaint maybe 6 months ago on the forum about newer Boge cartos having a harder draw and not taking up liquid near as fast. I took the complaint with a grain of salt. Then next time I ordered I found him/her to be correct. Bad batch? So, I ordered from a different vender. Same thing, and the difference was big. I then went back to my few remaining 'older' supply of Boges - they were perfect, easy draw and took up liquid rapidly. So, I think Boge has changed their filler material in some way, and NOT for the better. The old ones rapidly absorb. The new ones - the liquid just sits on top of the filler. It eventually absorbs, but the draw is too hard. Who else noticed this?

ipetbumblebees

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Chicago, IL
Do 4-5 drops than do a super thermometer shake, 5 more, shake, etc. Even try the Taryn spin.

When you do the condom method, do you push the battery side into the juice or the open end?

The thermometer shake is the first thing I tried. When I do that, the juice starts leaking out the bottom end of the carto :sigh:

With the condom method, I haven't tried pushing from the battery side. Seems like it would be problematic. Should I try it that way?

ipetbumblebees

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Chicago, IL
Break a toothpick in half. Take one half in hand. Gently lodge the pointed end into the airhole until it's snug but don't force it. Now start dripping juice until it reaches the top. I've had a few in the past that want to be fussy like this. The weight of the juice will push it into the filler.

I'm gonna try this now; it's my last hope. I'll let it sit there and report back.

ipetbumblebees

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Chicago, IL
Generally, the high the VG conc, the longer it takes to abosrb. I never had problems w/ Boge (until recently) cartos using VG/PG combos in any combination, or even VG based alone - but I usually thin VG down with a few drop of distilled water. That said, I read a complaint maybe 6 months ago on the forum about newer Boge cartos having a harder draw and not taking up liquid near as fast. I took the complaint with a grain of salt. Then next time I ordered I found him/her to be correct. Bad batch? So, I ordered from a different vender. Same thing, and the difference was big. I then went back to my few remaining 'older' supply of Boges - they were perfect, easy draw and took up liquid rapidly. So, I think Boge has changed their filler material in some way, and NOT for the better. The old ones rapidly absorb. The new ones - the liquid just sits on top of the filler. It eventually absorbs, but the draw is too hard. Who else noticed this?

I'm definitely noticing it. I stuck a toothpick down the center hole, filled the polyfill to the top with liquid, it's been sitting there about 20 minutes so far and is NOT absorbing! I'm using 65PG/35VG Bounty Hunter. Yeah, there's some VG in there, but it's far from 100VG. It acts the same way with my Prime Vaping RY4 that was originally 70PG/30VG, but I just added some unflavored PG to the bottle in hopes that it would absorb. Right now, it's at about 85PG/15VG and still won't absorb.

:drives car into a brick wall:

texasgranny

ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2010
Texas

I totally agree. I thought it was just me, or a bad batch, but new ones just came in and the same thing!
Draw is much tighter and I'm using the same juice mix that I have for a long time.
I use to get 4 days almost to the minute on one and I would toss it, due to hard draw..
.now I am lucky to get 3!
I think you are on to something.

exodus454

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2011
Western Connecticut
I've noticed the most recent boge's I've gotten from liberty flights have done this too. Out of the 30 or so I had bought before from vapor kings, they would always wick the juice in right away and without having to force the liquid in. The hit and draw has also been different, I feel like I'm topping them off compulsively now.

I'm glad someone else noticed this because I thought I might be crazy, but I guess they changed the filler material or something. Not exactly happy about that, they were PERFECT before. I can't say they look more tightly packed, they feel just about as dense if you poke the filler. If you look at a brand new carto though, it seems like the current filler is a bit shinier than before.

Usually before I'd use the condom method to fill the stubborn ones but that doesn't work anymore with these. The juice will just sit on top for hours. Now I'll put 3-4 drops in and do the thermometer shake - keep shaking every 3-4 drops until I can get 25 in. Works every time but damn is it annoying!

ipetbumblebees

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Chicago, IL
I've noticed the most recent boge's I've gotten from liberty flights have done this too. Out of the 30 or so I had bought before from vapor kings, they would always wick the juice in right away and without having to force the liquid in. The hit and draw has also been different, I feel like I'm topping them off compulsively now.

I'm glad someone else noticed this because I thought I might be crazy, but I guess they changed the filler material or something. Not exactly happy about that, they were PERFECT before. I can't say they look more tightly packed, they feel just about as dense if you poke the filler. If you look at a brand new carto though, it seems like the current filler is a bit shinier than before.

Usually before I'd use the condom method to fill the stubborn ones but that doesn't work anymore with these. The juice will just sit on top for hours. Now I'll put 3-4 drops in and do the thermometer shake - keep shaking every 3-4 drops until I can get 25 in. Works every time but damn is it annoying!

Yeah, only 1 of the 5 I got will actually absorb liquid. I'm ordering a syringe from Madvapes tonight. It's either that, or throw these out, which I don't wanna do. Time to start looking for a new brand carto though... sucks because they're such a good deal! Or were a good deal.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
After adding some to the top, you can also blow gently into the open mouth end with a tissue held over the connector. You're applying a bit of positive pressure to help get the liquid to start wetting the filler. A bit will almost certainly come out the battery end (use a tissue), but once the initial wetting has occurred things go much better.

Once I've done an initial fill, things look good, I'll normally take one or two puffs, then finish topping the carto off.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
I have a new batch of Boges I just got .. have not noticed the absorbing issue ..

Have you tried heating your liquid up slightly before dripping .. ?? A few seconds in a microwave will make it more viscous ..

On using a pointed item to pierce the filler top, a sewing needle is a good tool ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread