Not open for further replies.

ClippinWings

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
The OC
Yeah, that coil looks crazy SLR... you said it's 1.8 on 32 Kanthal:

32 kanthal wire, i measured the resistance made a 1.8ohm not much vapor, strong TH. I'm using mechanical and vv mod..

But I don't see how that's possible with the 3 wraps you have pictured.

I mean, see this post... with a 2.0 Ohm 32 Kanthal coil... I figure 1.8 might be one less wrap.

Also, When you say you have the air hole lined up properly... are you sure? I mean, could the wick be blocking it?
Also, how close is your coil to the side of the cap?

Last edited:

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Bydus, +1 on all posts above this. May I suggest making the diameter of your coils about 1/2 of what they are, shoot for about 8 wraps, and scrunch the coils together so they are touching. See the pix I posted above. That coil is very small diameter (like 1/16 outside diameter) and I think it is like 1.5 ohms with about 10 or 11 wraps. Flavor machine it is.

I also now prefer to enlarge the air hole. They are all enlarged with a 1/16" drill bit. This does increase TH though and makes the draw nice and loose.

StaircaseWit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
The Pit of Despair
Bydus, +1 on all posts above this. May I suggest making the diameter of your coils about 1/2 of what they are, shoot for about 8 wraps, and scrunch the coils together so they are touching. See the pix I posted above. That coil is very small diameter (like 1/16 outside diameter) and I think it is like 1.5 ohms with about 10 or 11 wraps. Flavor machine it is.

That type of tight coil works well for cotton; not so much for silica. It tends to choke on tight coils like that, and you can't really insert silica into a pre-wrapped coil -- you have to wrap on the silica, not too tight, not too loose.

I agree with everyone else -- you need more wraps on that coil. There's no way that's 1.8ohms.

Satava

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
If it is reading at 1.8ohms there's a good possibility one of the screws is loose.

Assuming you're using 3mm silica-

For VV-
Double up the wick and coil before installing. Trim one piece close to the coil as a sort of resivoir then trim the other two pieces to fit nicely in the basin coiled around it all the way to soak up any juice down there.

Try a 6 wrap of the 32g, keep the coils about 1mm spaced with a safety pin or sewing needle shoved in as a support/spacer. Don't wrap too tight or you'll choke the wick.

For Mechanical-
Similar instructions apply but use a 5 wrap of 28g for lower ohms.

Edit: Check out the PBusardo review of the IGO-L on YouTube. He has a pretty good setup method that's easy to duplicate and will yield good results.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM2tSa7zjeE

Last edited:

thxone

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2013
Concord, NC
I hope this picture will help some...

I am using 1.5mm silica folded in half and then a 5/4 coil of 32awg Kanthal and my VAMO say 2ohms dead on. It is a zoomed in pic but the coil is pretty tight as far as spacing. I used a lighter slowly down the length of the wire making it glow. I also torch the silica with my butane torch completely... careful, it does get hot. I use the blue part of the flame. From the picture I saw it looked like you used a 3/2 wrap... that's going to be pretty low ohms and will get very hot, very quickly. When I did a 4/3 I think it was at 2.4ohm. But that was on a 3mm silica wick doubled over for a 6mm total size. I am sure a thicker wick will increase the length of wire affecting the resistance which is why this picture (a 3mm total size wick) with a 5/4 wrap has lower resistance than my 4/3 did. Your wick looks thin and with that 3/2 wrap I am willing to bet you are sub 1ohm. Very hot, very fast tons of throat hit and most likely a burnt taste. It could be vaporizing the juice faster than it can wick... one way to find out is to hold the fire button for less time and see if the flavor is different.

How thick is your silica?

CloudZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
just wanted to let you know that i managed to make a nice tasty coil :) thanks a lot for all the tips, you guys are awesome!

Please share the info on what was going on. If someone comes in here having the same problem, they can quickly try the same solution that did the trick for you. Remember that a forum isn't just a place to ask questions, its an archive of answers that will be around forever :)

0_0 *** Sent from my Droid Incredible 4G LTE *** 0_0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread