Why does extreme heat equal less vapor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarmeetsjake

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2011
Amory, MS
I usually leave my vaporizer in my car during classes, during which, it gets really hot in there this time of the year. The first thing I do when I get back into my car is blast the ac and grab my vaporizer and drag it. I feel the throat hit the same as I normally would, but only around a third of vapor is produced. There's no doubt that the extreme heat plays a major role here, but I was looking for more than just that. Does anyone have a more logical reason behind it other than, "there is less vape because it gets too hot"? I want to hear some science behind the matter.

SnowDragon

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Boise, Idaho
It basically comes down to nothing more that relative humidity. To test this vape inside a temp controlled room (a/c) then step outside on a typical summer day with low humidity take a draw, then step back inside and take another draw. You will instantly see a difference in the amount of vapor produced between outside and inside. It really is more of an illusion, you are still producing the same amount of vapor...it is just dissipating at an accelerated rate.

Do this same test on rainy day and you'll notice the amount of vapor produced outdoors is greater than it will be indoors.

JustaGuy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2011
Beyond The Sea
guitar, did you leave the carto(s) with the PV in the car? Different liquid evaporates at different temperatures and some juice in the carto may have "vaped" already. I'm no scientist, so it's a wild guess.

Reason for my post: I don't leave my PV in the car. It gets over 120 F in a car under the sun and extreme heat shortens batt life (and may cause it to explode, not sure if car's hot enough). Batts don't like it too hot, so I play it safe.

Edit: folks leave their cell phones in cars all the time, so who knows!

Last edited:

guitarmeetsjake

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2011
Amory, MS
JustaGuy, I prefer to use carts over cartos, but as far as evaporation, I doubt either of them would evaporate much differently. I ruled that out though, because as soon as things got cooled off a bit, the usual amount of vape was being produced. SnowDragon's reply explaining relative humidity is probably what's going on in my case. However, that does arouse my curiosity. Can e-liquid turn to vapor if the vaporizer is left in a vehicle on a hot, summer day? And, can the vehicle trap enough heat to actually cause the vaporizer's battery to explode? I say we call in the Mythbusters.

JustaGuy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2011
Beyond The Sea
JustaGuy, I prefer to use carts over cartos, but as far as evaporation, I doubt either of them would evaporate much differently. I ruled that out though, because as soon as things got cooled off a bit, the usual amount of vape was being produced. SnowDragon's reply explaining relative humidity is probably what's going on in my case. However, that does arouse my curiosity. Can e-liquid turn to vapor if the vaporizer is left in a vehicle on a hot, summer day? And, can the vehicle trap enough heat to actually cause the vaporizer's battery to explode? I say we call in the Mythbusters.

Yeah, SnowDragon is probably right. But like my edit said, folks leave their cells in the car and no explosion. I must be paranoid. Some Texas newscasters were baking cookies in cars 2 weeks ago. It gets pretty hot in a car. I don't know what's the evaporation point for PG & VG, but I just learned cooler batts last longer so I'll leave mine out of the car. I'll stop with my wild guesses before experts come along and beat me senseless. :laugh:

Astatine

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2011
USA
If I am too boring, just skip this post...

First let me clarify something: it's not vapor that you want. It's droplets of liquid (a cloud). Vapor is a gas and as such gives much less feel and hit than droplets of liquid.

The relative humidity that snow is referring to is a true effect. The higher the humidity, the less evaporation, the less droplets loss after you formed them. but I think that for your car question it's something else.

When you inhale what counts is a phenomenon called "radiative heat loss". In a nutshell, the coil on your atty will make a gas, and the body of the atty and the mouth piece will cool it to make the droplets. Aaaaahhhhh! The hotter they are (as in sitting in a hot car, or super hot atty from over use) the less droplets you form :( Keep in mind that the cooler the air is the better it is at cooling your system, so that you can keep on having the same result.

Next time you are in your hot car, place the business end of your PV in front of the AC vent for a while, and see if this improves your "vapor" production. As the car's interior cools down, you will get a cooler PV and a better cooling system and the droplets will come back :)

guitarmeetsjake

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2011
Amory, MS

First let me clarify something: it's not vapor that you want. It's droplets of liquid (a cloud). Vapor is a gas and as such gives much less feel and hit than droplets of liquid.

The relative humidity that snow is referring to is a true effect. The higher the humidity, the less evaporation, the less droplets loss after you formed them. but I think that for your car question it's something else.

When you inhale what counts is a phenomenon called "radiative heat loss". In a nutshell, the coil on your atty will make a gas, and the body of the atty and the mouth piece will cool it to make the droplets. Aaaaahhhhh! The hotter they are (as in sitting in a hot car, or super hot atty from over use) the less droplets you form :( Keep in mind that the cooler the air is the better it is at cooling your system, so that you can keep on having the same result.

Next time you are in your hot car, place the business end of your PV in front of the AC vent for a while, and see if this improves your "vapor" production. As the car's interior cools down, you will get a cooler PV and a better cooling system and the droplets will come back :)

Very informative! I never considered that. Many thanks!

ericdjobs

ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2011
Northern CA

I believe you are absolutely correct... this completely explains why whenever I vape, the first couple tokes are amazing throat hit/body wise.. but if I continue to vape and the cartomizer becomes hot, the quality noticeably decreases.. and this must be why.. as a small test I used some ice to cool the carto down and yep..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread