Why does the "for the children" argument work so well for politicians?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReigntheGamer

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2014
IMHO most people now days want everything done for them to make things as easy as possible. So once a politician drops "for the children" rather than research and make up their own mind most people just go with the flow cause so and so said they're protecting our kids. And protecting kids is good, +1 vote.

ETA: Once people needed protection in the form of a warning that a hot cup of coffee is hot, has been downhill since then.

Last edited:

WhiteHighlights

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
MetroWest Boston, MA, USA
just a couple of quick thoughts...

Because..
it sounds like you care about the future of 'merica and the world
parents may make sacrifices to take care of their children so it resonates if someone seems to share their concern and helps too
the view that children need protection from a dangerous world and if you're protecting kids you're a good guy
if gov't does it, I don't have to worry, right?

now go out and kiss those babies :laugh:

Amraann

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2011
Florida
because if you're against the children your a monster and probably a terrorist.

Well put! But to further build upon your statement.. it is also because people are sheep!

Notice that noone ever suggested banning flavored cigars or flavored vodka. The entire "it is dangerous for children" arguement is simply to illicit a shock reaction and promote negative press.
The reality is there are 100's of every day items in every home that are harmful to children, yet none of those are banned. Instead adults are warned of said dangers and are suppose to be responsible for the safety of the children in their homes. I have not once heard of a child dying from e-liquid.

RCHagy74

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2014
Niverville, NY, US
Emotional response - Short term predictable response, easily manipulated for a short (occasionally long) term gain.

Thoughtful, reasoned, educational, rational, here is my opinion, what is your opinion, find a common ground argument is well... dangerous. One who is not easily manipulated emotionally, in theory, will be able to plan and fight against the manipulation on the manipulators on terms. To see what is being done to us, is to be able to do something about it.
In other words, vote the buggers out.

An educated, thoughtful populace is dangerous.
Keep them fed, entertained and 'happy' chewing their cud and all will be well in the seats of government and certain businesses.

OK... rant over.

RC Hagy

ReigntheGamer

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2014
And even if we did hear about a child being harmed by e-liquid I can almost guarantee we would hear more about the dangers of e-liquid and not the dangers of parents leaving e-liquid where a child could get a hold of it. Simply because you can't ban bad parenting but you sure can e-liquid and politicians need issues to run for or against.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Children are heavily tax supported, ie public schools, those parents are easy to rally. For instance, in Michigan 2011 tobacco taxes were about $970 million, 2.7% of state and local taxes combined and 4% of State taxes. I believe the state gets another $25 million a year from the master settlement agreement. (Gas station cigalikes are not a threat because they are bought for indoor smoking, not quitting.) A significant part of the tobacco tax, 41.6%, is earmarked for education to create support for the tax.

Nobody should give anything to any kid if the parents might object but the kids and vaping thing is backwards. Nicotine is not addictive to never smokers. The evidence for that is abundant and I'd be glade to list my evidence. Kids who experiement with ecigs aren't going to get addicted. They will eventualy lose interest. The people who keep vaping, kids or adults, will be doing that because they are smokers trying to quit or avoiding relapse. I noticed a story from europe about a survey that found 30 million europeons are vaping. They are mostly aged 15-24 and the reason they vape is to quit smoking.

The people claiming to protect the kids are actually abusing the kids to protect their money.

My local vape shop owner says he starts 5-10 newbies a day and 75% become non smokers. My estimate is that every successful vape shop costs that Michigan $1.5-2 million in lost tobacco taxes every year plus a smilar amount added on for the smokers who quit the next year, etc. Vape shops are taking money away from the government and giving it back to the people. That's why all this is getting so nasty.

Last edited:

philoshop

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2014
geneva, ny, usa
Children are the universal symbol for 'that which needs to be protected'. As soon as a politician says "it's for the children" there is an immediate assumption that anyone who disagrees is somehow 'against the children'. A very powerful motivator for citizens who don't, or won't, take the time to determine whether or not there is an actual risk.

RipTodd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
Ripon, WI
www.rathkampdrums.com
because if you're against the children your a monster and probably a terrorist.

This is it in a nutshell. Very similar to using the race card in that it's not meant to offer an argument of substance, it's meant to shut your argument down.

Additionally, we're living in an age where kids are coddled to perilous levels. Child safety without critical thought is the norm, I.e., bike helmets.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
And even if we did hear about a child being harmed by e-liquid I can almost guarantee we would hear more about the dangers of e-liquid and not the dangers of parents leaving e-liquid where a child could get a hold of it. Simply because you can't ban bad parenting but you sure can e-liquid and politicians need issues to run for or against.

{OlderNDirt goes out to start his lockable E-liquid cabinet company!}

EDIT: Is the name "Juice B Gone" already taken?

Last edited:

Amraann

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2011
Florida
Although not vape related.... I remember back when Florida wanted to begin the Florida Lottery. How did they get that to pass? They claimed the revenue would go to improving education and bulding more schools etc.
In other words .. "it was for the children"

Please note that at last check barely any of the money has gone towards education.

On the same note the powers that be in Tallahassee that are always screaming "it is for the children" when it benefits them cannot give a rats .... about the children when distributing child support money that they have already garnered from the parents check.

My neighbors ex has the child support sent directly from his check to Tallahassee every single Friday. I cannot tell you how many times she has not recieved the payment until over a week or two later. Forget trying to call and talk to a real person.
Now she is in a postition where the money not being there doesn't mena the children are going without.. But many many are.
How is that for the children?

I know that the above is not about vaping but I think it illustrates how the "for the children" argument is used and then plays out.

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
They conjure up images of little kids because little kids are cute. Like puppies or kittens or panda bear cubs. They never show pictures of junior high kids when they talk about protecting the "kids" because junior high kids smell and are covered with acne volcanoes all over their faces and no one wants to be near them.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I have not once heard of a child dying from E-liquid.
There was one in Israel that MAY have been killed by eliquid a few years back.
Never confirmed.

And there was one recently that MAY have been killed as well.
Never confirmed.

But even if both deaths were the result of eliquid, does that make it right to deny access to all people?

But... but.......... but..... A CHILD!!!!

All this, while we send our children off to war where many die...
BUT MY PRECIOUS LITTLE BALL OF GOLD!!!

As a parent, it is your responsibility to protect that little nubbin.
It has nothing to do with me, or my access to vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread