Why is squonking so popular all of the sudden?

Status
Not open for further replies.

erictho

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2011
Edmonton
Performance of a dripper convenience of a tank?? answer squonk box and you favorite dripper

Fwiw squonker are not even new.... it's just taken this long for mod advancement to make them usable for new vapers.
Until recently squonking was for tootle puffers only.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
ahahahahha. i love this thread. i have been vaping for over 5 yrs and loved my bottom feeders! they were totally fine!
i find it hilarious to see everything come to a full 360.

Acer50

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2014
Duck River Tasmania
www.facebook.com
Perhaps it has more to do with a decrease in demand for other products? Anyone who wants a high power temp control mod has more than enough choice. There are plenty of reasonably priced, reasonably reliable mods in that sector. Its pretty much saturated. They have pretty much hit the limit in terms of what is possible and importantly what people are actually using. If you have a 200W box mod but find you are only actually vaping at 100W there is little incentive to buy a new 250W box mod. I suspect that the growth in new users is also slowing. My guess is they are not selling the volume of mods they were 6 or 12 months ago. Manufactures have been forced to explore the niche markets.

Until recently you had to be a pretty committed vaper to get into squonking, they just were not available to buy at your local B&M. Most of the manufactures were low volume and either American or European. The vast majority of sales of squonk mods were via forums, or facebook. In relative terms they were both more awkward and more expensive to buy than more standard gear. I have been squonking for a couple of years, I still visit my local vape store. The owner liked the idea of squonking he could see the advantages in terms of ease of build and use. But he also new he would have a hard time selling them because of the relative cost difference.

Companies like Kanger have some major advantages over companies like REO, they have the economy of scale, and advantages in terms of labour costs and taxation. They can simply produce the mods cheaper in the first place. They also already supply to 1000's of B&M stores and have an established brand name, they sell in high volume so they can afford to take less profit per mod. For consumers this removes the two big barriers to squonking, they are more easily available and cheaper, more in line with other gear that was available.

I think this works out nicely for everyone, more people have access to squonking, at a price they can afford to give it a try. The higher end mod makers will also have a much bigger pool of potential customers, at least some of them will make the leap to a more expensive device.

@muzichead
&
@herb

What mod you end up buying is personal preference, it depends on what you feel is important and striking a balance between quality, performance, reliability and price. Slating what somebody else chooses to buy or not is just pointless. We all have different priorities.
In total agreement. Kangar has hit the lead with their 160 watter. The only con I will give it is as I said before the tank that came with it suxs.

Now Kangar lighten up put on a decent velocity style tank with your mod that is easy to build on and you will IMHO have a real winner. Love the mod....hated the tank. The mod super cool with my tsunami 24 and the Vaporesso Neo. No issues with the mod at all.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
I'm a gamer... and if there is one thing I despise and I see it all over their forums... is elitists. I've never heard of 99% of those squonkers, yep not even the REO. i'll probably never own one and don't really care too... I'm more concerned with not smoking, taste, and availability.

what got me into squonking? a guy showing me the dripbox 160 he was using and actually finding a 60 locally that I could see and touch. I didn't buy it locally, but I got one after researching it. after I learned about it, I knew I wanted one to hopefully solve the issues my hubby was having with vaping and I liked the idea of not having to refill as much. I talk about kangers a lot, because they are what I am familiar with the most... they are cheap and easy to get as well as a good intro, and well made if they can survive my mechanic hubby's abuse. local BMs only carry them for squonkers and starters the most in my area, they are going to be popular.

so rather than playing the elistist game, how about we play a new one?

squonking is the best of both worlds when it comes to rda and rdta... flavour, rebuilding, a tank separate from the coil, and capacity all in one. oh and clouds...

I'd really love to make one of my 454's one, sadly I can't see how .
How exactly is it that someone talking about a device they like makes them "elitists"?
Some people like expensive devices, some like cheaper ones. ...we are all vaping. Why can't we all just get along? Your comments come off just as bad as those who degrade lower cost devices.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
I'm only just getting into squonking, the issue for me has been cost. I have a strict limit on what I'm prepared to pay for a mod which excluded a decent squonk box until now. I was dispointed by the Dripbox 60, I'm hoping the Coppervapes will make me happy.
I've read many good reviews on that mod, not as many good reviews on the rda it comes with.

Reactions: ThaFuzz

Andyhrn

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2011
TX
Ha! Thinking back on all the money I spent on the "latest this & latest that" tanks I tried (some of which worked half-decently & most not), I'm reminded of 3 things I hated about all tanks as opposed to bottom feeders:

(1) They all dribbled to some extent on the 510 connector, and/or out through the air intake. There's a reason P. Busardo calls paper towels 'vaper towels'.

(2) You fill a largish tank with some clearish e-liquid and have the pleasure of watching it turn browner and browner while the flavour (sic: Cdn spelling) gets worse and worse.

(3) Nearly all of them burble and gurgle, which I found really annoying, to put it mildly.

So thanks, OP, for asking that question. You brought back a lot of pleasant memories. ;)

Cheers!

p.s. Oops, almost forgot the pleasure of regularly getting e-liquid all over my fingers. Don't know about anyone else, but I hate the feel of it, much as I may like the taste.

This is exactly how I feel too. With the "bottom coil" design you have to fight against gravity and air pressure and that is a "rocket since" . Really. This is what NASA, Boeing,LM and other military companies do. They spent billions for a research. So there is no way $20-$100 RTA could replicate this technology.

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
Aug 13, 2016
Georgian Bay, Ontario
The 454 is a easy one to mod to BF. Just need a dremel to make groove into the pin up to the build area. I believe the Positive pin is press fit. just have to push it out the bottom and cut the groove.

I used a c clamp but if a vice is available it will be easier.

KRYP-454-3.jpg

HTB1BwHPFVXXXXaRXVXXq6xXFXXXY.jpg

considering the height of the positive post and all... I really cannot see how. to be able to build coils so nicely for it... i'll get there eventually!

Tagi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2014
Dallas Texas
KRYP-454-3.jpg

HTB1BwHPFVXXXXaRXVXXq6xXFXXXY.jpg

considering the height of the positive post and all... I really cannot see how. to be able to build coils so nicely for it... i'll get there eventually!
No special build techniques needed. The deck will flood with juice and sucked back into the bottle. Some will be left on the deck. Larger diameter coil for a horizontal build will help shorten the positive leg. And smaller will make the make the coil longer for verticals.

In the pic it looks like they pushed the coils up to compensate.

946462bbca2e521f309f9ceb4a14a71a.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Bolivar

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2014
Surrounded by cows and wheat
I've vaped for about 3 years. Always wanted to try a bottom feeder, but didn't want to pony up the $$$ for a mod. I had tried dripping and really enjoyed the flavor but not the hassle. I stuck to my kayfun clones and other tanks with their leaks, burnt wicks and filling hassles...and was fairly content.

Then I saw the Coppervape mod. I immediately ordered one, along with an Aspire quad. While the Coppervape was on the slow boat from China the quad arrived. I set it up as a genny and loved the flavor. I seriously considered stopping there and selling the Coppervape when it finally got here. It finally arrived and as soon as it was in my hand I had to try it. I reconfigured the quad for a BF, wrapped and wicked a couple coils for it and filled the bottle. WOW!!! I didn't put it down for about 3 days. THIS was what I had been looking for all along. Flavor, simplicity, easy to use, no mess, less nic needed...it had it all. My other mods languished while the squonker got used constantly. As soon as the Pico squeeze hit, I had one on order. It was almost as big a hit as the Coppervape, but not quite. The squeeze gets used, but it has a couple features I don't like as much.

A Reo or CC is next. My tanks are still getting a little use, primarily to use up the juice with more nic in it, but when the juice is gone, they go into the vapocalypse box.

A couple inexpensive bottom feeders made me a believer, and I'm not looking back. Now, I have to research toppers a little harder...

Tagi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2014
Dallas Texas
I'm still learning symmetry with my builds lol, that was a pic to show how sexy it could look with quads... I was more interested in making it into a BF... with the super tall positive post and a solid copper pin for the wires in it as a deliberate part of its makeup... how would you make it a BF?

The dark line going down the pin is a groove cut into it with a dremel. It goes all the way down and makes a channel for the juice to travel through. Its kinda hard to see in the pic as my phone does not take good closeups.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
I'm only just getting into squonking, the issue for me has been cost. I have a strict limit on what I'm prepared to pay for a mod which excluded a decent squonk box until now. I was dispointed by the Dripbox 60, I'm hoping the Coppervapes will make me happy.
Same here.

I am expecting good things from the 2 Coppervapes I bought (silver and black) but bought a REO from the classifieds as well. $90 isn't overboard for a mod that may outlast me IMO. Definitely not "elitist" as almost nobody will have a clue if I paid $5 or $5000.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Blind Owl

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2014
BC, Canada
I think you will Like your Coppervapes BF Mods.

I like my Coppervape right well—my LP Grand is parked for the time being—and my wife likes hers, although she's kind of attached to her red metalflake REO.

As far as 'elitism' is concerned: when we bought our REOs about a year and a half ago, it was the only squonker we knew of that was simple, sturdy, readily available, still in production, and that a lot of people were raving about. Had enough of P.I.T.A. tanks and fragile, unreliable mods & just wanted a no-trouble vape. We bought 'em despite the high price, not because of it, or for any feeling of superiority.

Except maybe this: when you finally find something that suits you to a 'T' (whatever it may be), it's natural to think everybody else should at least know about it. And to feel pretty good about having finally found what works for you.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I like my Coppervape right well—my LP Grand is parked for the time being—and my wife likes hers, although she's kind of attached to her red metalflake REO.

As far as 'elitism' is concerned: when we bought our REOs about a year and a half ago, it was the only squonker we knew of that was simple, sturdy, readily available, still in production, and that a lot of people were raving about. Had enough of P.I.T.A. tanks and fragile, unreliable mods & just wanted a no-trouble vape. We bought 'em despite the high price, not because of it, or for any feeling of superiority.

Except maybe this: when you finally find something that suits you to a 'T' (whatever it may be), it's natural to think everybody else should at least know about it. And to feel pretty good about having finally found what works for you.

Yeah... I own 3 Coppervape BF Mods. 2 of them are Backups. And the other splits time with my DripBox 60w.

It's a One Two Punch. Because I vape Basically 2 types of Hint of Flavor (HOF) e-Liquids. DIY Fruit Flavors and DIY TastyFinger Variants. So I run the DripBox 60w with Unflavored in the Bottle, and prime the wick of my RDA with Regular DIY Fruit. And the Coppervape runs Unflavored in the Bottle with Regular DIY Tastyfinger on the wick.

And since Both have only had Unflavored in their Bottles, I can Switch to Any Flavor I want by just Switch RDA's.

---

JFTR - I didn't Play the Elitist Card in this Thread. And believe that whatever a person likes to use, be it a $18 Pico Squeeze or a $250 Limited Run Handmade Mod, then that is what they should use.

I do think it is Tiresome to hear Some repeatedly wave their Pom Poms about a particular Mod while putting down another. But that is Forum Life. So Ca Sera Sera.

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
Same here.

I am expecting good things from the 2 Coppervapes I bought (silver and black) but bought a REO from the classifieds as well. $90 isn't overboard for a mod that may outlast me IMO. Definitely not "elitist" as almost nobody will have a clue if I paid $5 or $5000.
Nor will they care.....we like mods for their performance, reliability, etc...not their price tag.

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
Aug 13, 2016
Georgian Bay, Ontario
The dark line going down the pin is a groove cut into it with a dremel. It goes all the way down and makes a channel for the juice to travel through. Its kinda hard to see in the pic as my phone does not take good closeups.

yeah... can't see it.. damn it... why do you have to be so far away? I have 2 that need converting magic *sigh* .

and no, I don't trust my hubby to do it... fix cars fantastically (unless mine, then he ignores them... his pretty new truck is mine this week and my truck with the squealing drums is parked while he's off hunting) he's your mechanic! around the house and power tools... "oh what's that I hear?! we need groceries or I need to go to the library... something away from the house is calling my name!"

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
I only have one expensive mod.....a CC in brass. To be fair, it was a gift, so I didn't pay for it. But after using it, it became my all day every day vape, and I believe it to be worth the price tag (when I can afford one, I plan on getting a second in either stainless steel or titanium). Super compact, bullet proof, hits harder then any mech I've used before, battery swap and bottle refills are super simple. To me, it's the perfect mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread