Why is the 401 ignored?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wench

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
Pensacola, Fl.
The 401 is honestly a very good pv and not just for light or infrequent smokers, much better than the 510 and 801 imho. The 901 is close for flavors coming through and decent. The 510 is all about heat which makes for good throat hit but totally burns the flavor out and ruin's the flavor of juice.
I think ithe 401 is mainly over looked because those 3 are easy to make where as 401 is a bit harder ( ie. air flow counts) unlike the others where the connector can be sealed.

Luv2CUSmile

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
NC
Breakfastchef,
Thx for your insight-
However, I was a very heavy smoker of menthol 100's and the 401 is great for me! I haven't tried any other units but I haven't had the desire to- With what Wench mentioned... I chose the 401 based on so many reviews and comments here at ECF- Originally I found the Blucig board- I was elated and thought that was the one for me but, the person I am, I had to research... I found that along with the many issues the Blu has, there were also so many other e-cigs on the market and all with different features and qualities-
What I wanted most, the 401 offered... I had no desire to get high heat, strong TH and lose flavor, I didn't like that I read so many people reporting leakage w/ the 801... and the 901 was a whistle tip that I didn't see as many bad comments on but not enough good comments either and with the whistle tip, I didn't think it would be ideal for my first PV- The cartomizer models were first more expensive (or so, at the time I was looking) and I didn't like the idea of having to use only the carts provided from one supplier (again at the time I looked, I still hadn't found EVERYTHING)
Thus, the 401 w/ longer battery life for a mini, great flavor, great vape production (I still think this has more to do with liquid type) and an e-cig that has enough throat hit, for me anyway... and is light to hold, dimensions similar to an analog- which resembled my habit... -
I don't want to get in a back and forth over what is the "better" atomizer/e-cig - Just... If there is a market for 510's, 901's, 801's- do any modders not feel that there is a market for 401 mods also? At least a connector that would allow a 401 to be used in conjunction with... (and excuse because I am also learning the terms associated w/ mods) -
I have never heard of the 306- or maybe that is not accurate, I may have seen one or two on one of the various supplier sites I have looked at... But, I have no idea what it is- (reg mini, similar to 401, pen style, etc)
& I appreciate your input in pointing me towards that, epipeman...
But, that helps my point in... a 103... I don't see much reference to a 103 on this site or others, yet a mod can be used w/ a 103...
401 talk is all over the site and a modder hasn't thought to go the route of a 401 when thinking of compatible atty's?
Breakfastchef, again, I appreciate the point you made- The long drawn out explanation not intended to do anything more than explain my previous habit as a heavy smoker. In the process it turned into a frustrated vaper looking for a mod with which I can use my current equipment that I also enjoy very much... I apologize if it appears I got combative w/ my wordiness- not intentional at all-
epipeman- also thx for the suggestion... I don't know enough about the 103 to determine if I would prefer that to a 510... I know i would probably go with a 901 if I went with anything but I don't feel the atty is as strong on a 901... I am quite torn at this point... & then, I am happy with my 401- I don't NEED a mod at all- my husband has inquired and is interested, I became interested as well- Even if I don't get one for myself, I will for him... & it won't be a 510 type at this time... (never say never)-
If anyone that does make mods and for a particular reason chose not to make one w/ a 401, could you explain what the reason is...
& if anyone else that has a mod and uses a 401... can you tell me how? (other than Houdini, I have seen his- LOL - very nice but looks as though it requires a bit of mechanics along with having a 510 to alter)
Thx for the responses- I welcome any continuing discussion-

Luv2CUSmile

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
NC
Wench,
I am still trying to understand these- What do you mean by "the connector can be sealed"? I am not sure what that means... the connector is a piece that connects the "mod" to the atomizer?
Could the atomizer just connect directly to a "mod"- IF it could be done...?
Does a 510 connect directly to a mod? a 901? 801?
Please help me understand- Thx- as always

Wench

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
Pensacola, Fl.
Take your 401 batt and look at the connector. There is 1 big hole in the middle ( this is where the other models usually either have a drop of soldier or are 1 solid piece) on the 401 there is also another smaller hole on the side. On a 401 if you block either it affects the airflow and makes for a hard-nonexistent pull. ( I found out by experimenting with my soldiering iron and attempting some adapters lol)
With the 510, it has 2 holes on either side of the atty threads and slots in the battery connector for air, 901 has a small hole in the side of the atty and the 801 has 2-4 on the outer band. That hole in teh middle of the battery isn't critical for them to get air through to work.
For a 401 mod it would have to be open or some sort of airflow implemented ( much like m201's need airholes and don't like to work on mods)m201 is a penstyle like the 801.

Hope I explained that ok, I stink at describing stuff sometimes lol

breakfastchef

Moved On
Feb 12, 2009
Luv, I quit analogs with an NJOY penstlye device. I was a heavy smoker of analogs. What keeps me off analogs is a 6 volt device running a penstlye atomizer. Everyone has their own taste and preference. I could never go ack to a 3.7 volts device, ever. I own a 401 and it is a nice little device, the cartridge is way to small and the throat hit is less than I can accept. I keep my 401 and a 901 devices for emergencies. Assuming nothing ever goes wrong, I could not currently survive without my 6 volt Super-T1 with a BE112 atomizer and my DIY Passthrough with an 801 atomizer.

Luv2CUSmile

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
NC
in response to Wench...

So, in order for them to allow the 401 atty to be used, a piece would have to be made w/ another hole for airflow that the atty would connect to the mod with... and the mod itself would have to continue that airflow hole? & w/o the additional airhole the atty would not work properly? So if the other models don't have that hole... how do some people manage to get liquid in the battery? OR do people w/ the other models not worry about liquid in the battery? (I hadn't noticed It has not happened to me so it confused me to first read that it even happened until I noticed the hole and if the atty let liquid drip through)...

I was wondering what breakfastchef meant when he said robust... I took it to mean the amount of use it could take and maybe he was speaking of something else entirely...
Is the way the atty would perform, different on a mod than it is on a regular PV? What I mean to ask is, Where a 510 is very hot and has loss of flavor on a 510 batt... on a mod does it have high heat but no loss of flavor? I have seen reports by several people of losing 510 atty's seemingly sooner when used w/ a mod... Am I wrong? Or rather was the info I have seen wrong?
Thx again, any feedback to help me understand the world of mods...

Last edited:

Luv2CUSmile

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
NC
Luv, I quit analogs with an NJOY penstlye device. I was a heavy smoker of analogs. What keeps me off analogs is a 6 volt device running a penstlye atomizer. Everyone has their own taste and preference. I could never go ack to a 3.7 volts device, ever. I own a 401 and it is a nice little device, the cartridge is way to small and the throat hit is less than I can accept. I keep my 401 and a 901 devices for emergencies. Assuming nothing ever goes wrong, I could not currently survive without my 6 volt Super-T1 with a BE112 atomizer and my DIY Passthrough with an 801 atomizer.

So, in using a penstyle, a 901, and 401... how did you then determine that the 801 is what you wanted with a mod (6v)- which by the way... I would still only need a 3.7 mod myself... I am not sure why I want to try one, I think for my husband it is just to have a device that has "power"- a man thing, I guess...
Why do you not use the 901 w/ a mod? & yes, the mention of the cart size... I will say it would be ideal if every time Ipicked up my 401 I didn't need to worry if I was soon needing to refill or change carts... Mine do seem to last longer than others report but again, I think it is due to my vape style- (I am not a puff, puff, puff, inhale, puff again, inhale and then exhale...- rather I draw a nice long easy draw, don't even hit the 401 cut off, and then I inhale, then exhale...) so the amount of liquid being vaped in that instance may be less than a multiple puffer/inhaler before exhale... (Did I even explain that right?) LOL
This is giving me some good information but needing to understand the relation between the atty type performance to mod and the difference from the regular e-cig...
I can accept if the 401 is not ideal for a mod due to the amount of liquid needed to really enjoy it, or the airflow issue preventing it from working w/o a total revamp of a mod, or the power of the battery causing the 401 to burn out quickly versus another atty able to handle the power more easily...
Just needing to know why and what the differences are...
Again, you chose the 801 even after having the other models... What was your reason behind your choice?
Thx so much-

mickeyxxx

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2009
Nottingham UK
Basically, the 401 atomizer is not very robust. As such, it is not a primary target for modifications as vapor and throat hit performance pales to atomizers like the 510, 901 and 801. The 401 atomizer is better suited to the infrequent or light analog smoker.

You gotta be joking!!!! :confused:

I've been vaping for over a year now and tried nearly all the e-cigs out there

and the Evo/(401), IMO, is the most reliable and durable atomiser of all. :thumb:

Btw I'm a very heavy vapour.

Last edited:

Arkayne

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Omaha, NE
I've only been vaping a short while, and so far, the only e-cigs I've tried are the 401 on a passthrough and my joy 510 w/ it's battery-in-place passthrough. While not a truely fair comparison since my experience with the 510 is still limited to 3.7V, I much prefer my 401 for throat/lung hit. The 510 does seem to produce more vapor, but it doesn't seem to hit nearly as hard. I use 35mg/ml e-juice (vtvapor) with direct dripping (the 401 almost demands it, since the cart is so small) the 401 always has the better hit.

Aside from the obvious capacity advantage of the 501 here is what I've noticed so far:
Lots of vapor
Lots of heat
Very free draw (mine are all 4 hole)
Does well with tobacco flavors
Subtle flavors get washed out
Generally a very robust atomizer with consistent performance

Very efficient (good vapor for the quantity of juice consumed)
Produces a relatively low temperature vapor
Works best with longer, slower draws
Better flavor with sweeter flavors

Maybe the 510 would really perk-up on 5V. I look forward to finding out, but right now, my wish list includes a long life 5V battery mod and some kind of auto-drip for my 401.

..Oh, and maybe a ceramic tip to avoid the plastic-y taste that all e-cigs seem to suffer from in some fashion.

Wench

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
Pensacola, Fl.
in response to Wench...

So, in order for them to allow the 401 atty to be used, a piece would have to be made w/ another hole for airflow that the atty would connect to the mod with... and the mod itself would have to continue that airflow hole? & w/o the additional airhole the atty would not work properly? So if the other models don't have that hole... how do some people manage to get liquid in the battery? OR do people w/ the other models not worry about liquid in the battery? (I hadn't noticed It has not happened to me so it confused me to first read that it even happened until I noticed the hole and if the atty let liquid drip through)...

I was wondering what breakfastchef meant when he said robust... I took it to mean the amount of use it could take and maybe he was speaking of something else entirely...
Is the way the atty would perform, different on a mod than it is on a regular PV? What I mean to ask is, Where a 510 is very hot and has loss of flavor on a 510 batt... on a mod does it have high heat but no loss of flavor? I have seen reports by several people of losing 510 atty's seemingly sooner when used w/ a mod... Am I wrong? Or rather was the info I have seen wrong?
Thx again, any feedback to help me understand the world of mods...
Yep they would need to leave holes some how. Maybe cut some grooves? Maybe someone with a rare and elusive 401 prodigy adapter or chuck could post a pic...

Some mod's even though "sealed" at the battery aren't completely leak proof into the unit depending on how made.hee hee And most auto batteries for these have the center hole open and liquid seeps in where as on the manual versions the battery is soldered closed. The 401 is the only manual I've seen that isn't and can't be due to airflow.

On mods running at 3.7v it's the same as a regular batt but it's like having a fresh one for much longer and without the swapping out hassle. I prefer this one , at home I can walk around and not change batt's.
I can't say about 5v as I haven't tried it. 6v is a hella throat hit and vapor but flavor is just ugh to me, seems the higher it goes the less taste there is. You have to watch them because the higher the voltage the more chance to run dry and kill the atty so they must be kept wet hence people frying them left and right and then thrown into the mix is chinese craftsmanship on these lol. Some atty's perform better at the higher voltages than others.

At 3.7 v most do just fine so it's really just what preference there is to which atty at that voltage which is the same as a standard batt..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread