Why is the PT so much better than a regular battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taryn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
Florida
Its not only higher voltage but also continuous high voltage, a battery wears down as you use it.
cats_3.gif

Blame catmommy, she got me wanting to use all the new kittys I found!

Adrenalynn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2009
Sacramento, CA, USA Area
Consider a light bulb. A 100 watt light bulb is brighter and hotter than a 60 watt light bulb.

Volts * Amps = Watts.

3.7v * 1 Amp = 3.7 watts
5v * 1 Amp = 5 watts

This is assuming that both modes will deliver 1A and that's all the device wants. Assuming that's true, you're going to get at least 35% more wattage (heat is a function there-of) from a device delivering 5v into a 1A load vs a device delivering 3.7v into a 1A load.

So the upshot: More wattage = more complete vaporizing.

Adrenalynn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2009
Sacramento, CA, USA Area
Ok, I'm using a Belkin power converter (wall power to USB)for my PT and I keep getting shocked! Not a huge - knock you over - shock, just enough to be annoying and a little... well.... shocking! What gives??

Sounds like bad isolation. That's not terribly safe. I wouldn't continue using it. One nice thing about the PC's port is better isolation. But technically, any electrical device you're sticking in your mouth (or attaching to your body in any way) should have absolute isolation (opto-isolation is the way I'd design it). If the adapter is not well isolated, stop using it.

CatMommy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
cats_3.gif

Blame catmommy, she got me wanting to use all the new kittys I found!
AWWWW...so cute!
I like this kitty much better Taryn...

Regarding Rockerella's problem, I don't think she was able to use the PT on the computer. Her USB port wouldn't supply enough power. That's why she bought the converter.

Last edited:

Rockerella

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2009
San Fernando Valley, CA
Regarding Rockerella's problem, I don't think she was able to use the PT on the computer. Her USB port wouldn't supply enough power. That's why she bought the converter.

Yes, that's true. My laptop is an older Mac and the USB ports don't seem to have enough juice to fire up the ol PT (or my digital camera or most other devices for that matter). And Leaford is correct, it's more like a static electricity charge than anything. I brought the PT to the office and it seems that it's fine plugged directly into my PC's USB port AND using the power converter here. I think the issue must be a bad power strip at home. I'll have to change that out, since my laptop is plugged into it, too! 8-o Or let it fry so that I can get a new one that I can use my PT with. :evil: J/K.

Thanks for all your help, guys!!

Sandi

calla2

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2009
Greater ATL
Yes, that's true. My laptop is an older Mac and the USB ports don't seem to have enough juice to fire up the ol PT (or my digital camera or most other devices for that matter).

That's odd. I vape on my 2000 Mac powerbook G3 (Pismo) with no problems, also no problem powering any of my other usb devices (phone, camera, card readers, flash drives, battery chargers, PCC, etc.). In fact, I'm having a great vape on it right now. Might be a problem with that specific computer, I don't think that the age or brand has anything to do with it.

calla2

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2009
Greater ATL
speaking of PTs not working in some ports, I bought this excellent USB adapter for my car (http://tinyurl.com/ygmmonu). It works great for charging my iPod and stuff, but it won't power my PTs. Any thoughts on that?

No product specs are provided by with tinyurl or bestbuy, but my guess is that it provides less than 1,000mA. Some folks have had luck getting their passthroughs to work with a usb adapter with as little as 800mA, but 1,000 is recommended for passthroughs to work properly (other devices requiring less power will work fine with it, as you have discovered). You can look at your adapter to see the actual mA rating.

Pawpaw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2009
North Texas
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread