Why is vaping industry flying below average smoker's radar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tckenno

ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2015
N. Michigan
I am really new to vaping but can tell already it's going to be a new habit/hobby. In a nutshell, I bought a couple disposable e-cigs last summer for those times and places I couldn't smoke. They were ok but not impressive. After Thanksgiving got Greensmoke starter kit and was impressed. Cost was major negative with those. My Apollo Endeavor starter kit arrived day after Christmas and after three days I can see lots to like. Yesterday for instance, I had a cigarette with my morning coffee. After that, vaped rest of day while the lone cigarette .... sat there all alone in the ashtray. Kinda felt sorry for it being all alone in a weird kinda way. Regardless, getting knowledgeable on vaping will be a challenge which is why I joined this forum. Wish I had discovered it years ago. So many positives and so few negatives. What's not to like? IMO, should be promoted to smokers way more than it is...

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Most vapor suppliers are small business owners who can not afford big budget advertising. Only Big Tobacco (Blu, Vantage, etc) can afford television, radio, and magazine advertising. The vaping industry, to this point, has depended upon word of mouth and Google.

Since you are "really new to vaping", take a look at my blogs: Baditude's Blogs

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Welcome @tckenno

The industry isn't really flying under people's radar... 95% of UK smokers know what e-cigs are and 2.6 million people use them.

Unfortunately, 1.4 million (of the 2.6 million) people still smoke.
Many still smoke because what they are exposed to is junk e-cigs..... made by companies that are either 1) tobacco companies or 2) rip-off junk brands.

Apollo sell some nice equipment further up the range, but the way they sell it leaves a lot to be desired. In the UK, the kit you bought is described as list price $100, you pay $70.
In reality, it is a $45 e-cig kit.

I can't live with that, but many people can. :(

Most of us felt Vaping was guaranteed to spread like wildfire and billions of people would quit smoking. It hasn't happened quite the way we hoped because the tobacco companies and rip-off brands steal the show with their $millions marketing budgets.

Thank goodness Apollo isn't a tobacco company... one bit of good news. :cool:

Makes them better than Blu... another bit of good news. :D

Reactions: Vaper Bob

KayP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2015
Gold Coast, QLD, AUS
Hi and welcome tckenno.

I live in Australia and we don't have any 'brick and mortar' shops. In addition, selling nicotine e-liquids is simply illegal here. One has to buy it from overseas in small quantities.

For me, I had to do a lot of research online. Online forums and Youtube were it. Whilst I did locate some local online based companies that sold hardwares, I did have to source my juices from overseas. It is a daunting task, especially when you try to make the transition from cigarettes to vaping in one go. Took me months to decide. It was worth it.

Now I am using knowledge, albeit limited, to help a friend and his girlfriend get into vaping and off the stinkies. Whilst I do not know the full ramifications of this habit, it is most certainly healthier than the alternative.

I have been vaping for about 8 days and have not a cigarette since, nor am I craving for it. I smoked for 14-15 years. Here's to a happy new year, and healthier lungs.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Welcome @tckenno

The industry isn't really flying under people's radar... 95% of UK smokers know what e-cigs are and 2.6 million people use them.

Many still smoke because what they are exposed to is junk e-cigs..... made by companies that are either 1) tobacco companies or 2) rip-off junk brands.

Apollo sell some nice equipment further up the range, but the way they sell it leaves a lot to be desired. In the UK, the kit you bought is described as list price $100, you pay $70.

Most of us felt Vaping was guaranteed to spread like wildfire and billions of people would quit smoking. It hasn't happened quite the way we hoped because the tobacco companies and rip-off brands steal the show with their $millions marketing budgets.

Funny as I was in Mexico this summer and the resort was at least 90% folks from the UK. I was still smoking at the time and was amazed at how many Brits were vaping. I thought they looked pretty strange actually... but amazing how things change!

I still get looks all the time when I vape. I honestly think the majority of people that see me vaping think I am smoking something else.

All about education and the big vape companies are insignificant and basically useless when it comes to the ability to advertise and increase public awareness IMO. It is absolutely a lack of financial means.

Reactions: djsvapour

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Hi and welcome. The state of vaping in the US is changing. Big Tobacco wants to put the fix in to stop their competition, and they are abetted by the kind of people who are annoyed at the thought of people doing what they want instead of what they're told. It isn't going to work, but they do appear to be trying.

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
Most vapor suppliers are small business owners who can not afford big budget advertising. Only Big Tobacco (Blu, Vantage, etc) can afford television, radio, and magazine advertising. The vaping industry, to this point, has depended upon word of mouth and Google.

And ECF..

Reactions: Baditude

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Happy holidays, welcome and glad you joined.

"Gosh, how does vaping industry fly below average person's radar?"
Big Tobacco,Pharma,and anti tobacco zealots hate vaping for many reasons. Now we have are own government on our backs-- Powerful enemies who quash a life saving industry.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Funny as I was in Mexico this summer and the resort was at least 90% folks from the UK. I was still smoking at the time and was amazed at how many Brits were vaping. I thought they looked pretty strange actually... but amazing how things change!

In the UK, vaping is almost normal in every context.

Something worrying though happened to me 3 days ago.

We have sales in the shops that start after/on Boxing Day. People flock to get bargains and the high ticket items from the high prices stores attract the folks that have lots of money.
So - I went to one of these sales. You can imagine the stress this causes, particularly for us men with their good ladies. I think I saw (easily) over 100 people smoking outside the stores. Not one vaper among them (apart from me).

I would say smoking is alive and those that can afford it ($12 a pack) are the least likely to switch to vaping. Or, maybe there's a different attitude for those with premium health care packages.

(I have one of them, but I still want to dodge my bullets... )

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
All about education and the big vape companies are insignificant and basically useless when it comes to the ability to advertise and increase public awareness IMO. It is absolutely a lack of financial means.

Yes. There is only one vaping co. that advertises in the UK.
The rest are tobacco companies selling $5,000 a-year-to-use systems, most of which don't help that well with stopping smoking.
The top 4 brands in the UK are also the most likely people use to dual fuel... most aren't choosing to dual fuel, they just don't find vaping satisfying.
I try not to get too 'conspiracy theory' about these products. :eek:

KayP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2015
Gold Coast, QLD, AUS
In Australia it is a little different I suppose; however, I am certain big tobacco still has a few pollies (politicians) in their pockets.

Australian law is going hard against the big tobacco by forcing them to sell their products in boring packaging which only advertises the harmful effects of smoking (in very big nasty ranked photographs of diseased "patients"), and taxing the hell out of them. A pack of cigarettes began costing me almost $30.

In turn, they have also made it illegal for local vendors to sell e-liquids containing nicotine, leaving Australian's little choice but to purchase and import from offshore websites. Apparently others are discreetly trading e-liquids in Australia; however, I have no intention of joining the band wagon and breaking the law. The pollies have also gone to the extent of including the vague term that only "3 months" supply may only be imported. No one is really sure what this term means. I personally have only imported only once, and it was an order of 229mls. As I said, it was daunting, especially when my package was held in customs for about 3 days. Mind you, it was during the lead up to Christmas so I believe they were just busy. I have read elsewhere of others successfully importing 1 to 1.5 litres in one order (a little overkill). I suppose the pollies are trying to demonstrate their firm stance on tobacco with this law. You be the judge.

P.S. I believe there is one state in Australia that has made it even illegal for the importation of nicotine e-liquids. Now that's sad.

Reactions: djsvapour

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
    Welcome to ECF!

There are a lot of laws coming in to effect in 2016 depending which Federal Govt, County, State and City you live in. Become as knowledgeable as you can as fast as you can about products that are covered here at ECF. Products and availability may change drastically, so pick and choose what you buy, with the intent it may have to last you a while, and stock up.

Reactions: tckenno

Robino1

Resting in Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 7, 2012
    Treasure Coast, Florida
    viannen_01.gif

Welcome to ECF!​

pJYvGY3.gif

As was mentioned, vaping is under fire from the FDA. We are currently waiting for them to deem them a tobacco product and all the regulations that will come under that deeming. We are fighting with all that we can.

In the meantime, read and learn as much as you can. The more knowledge you have, the better you will be prepared for whatever comes down.

A good website to get you started: CASAA - The Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Association
    Free to join and we need more voices. :)

A section of the forum that will help (try to not let your blood pressure rise) Electronic Cigarette News and Campaigning | E-Cigarette Forum

It is just an unsettled time in vaping. I have hope that we can prevail. :)

tckenno

ECF Veteran
    Dec 29, 2015
    N. Michigan

I did checkout your blog Baditude, lots of good info and well illustrated. A lot of info for sure. Have it bookmarked for future reference.

Reactions: Baditude

tckenno

ECF Veteran
    Dec 29, 2015
    N. Michigan
    Welcome @tckenno

Was wondering if vaping is regulated at all in the UK djsvapour. When your refer to junk e-cigs do you mean disposables? Here in Michigan they cost about four bucks, compared to a pack of cigarettes which are five to six dollars. For the money I would think they are fairly priced but hardly impressive. Thing is, the tobacco companies don't market their e-cigs as a smoking cessation product. Hardly in their best interest to do so. But the fact that Altria paid $110M to buy Green Smoke early in 2014 tells you they want their foot in the door...

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 4, 2015
    Northern Arizona
    I am really new to vaping but can tell already it's going to be a new habit/hobby. In a nutshell, I bought a couple disposable e-cigs last summer for those times and places I couldn't smoke. They were ok but not impressive. After Thanksgiving got Greensmoke starter kit and was impressed. Cost was major negative with those. My Apollo Endeavor starter kit arrived day after Christmas and after three days I can see lots to like. Yesterday for instance, I had a cigarette with my morning coffee. After that, vaped rest of day while the lone cigarette .... sat there all alone in the ashtray. Kinda felt sorry for it being all alone in a weird kinda way. Regardless, getting knowledgeable on vaping will be a challenge which is why I joined this forum. Wish I had discovered it years ago. So many positives and so few negatives. What's not to like? IMO, should be promoted to smokers way more than it is...

Well there are some real issues and a lot of lies about Vaping.

Real issues..

Some are allergic to the PG.

Vaping too low with Questionable batteries have blown up.

Now the lies.

On that's just as bad as smoking.
    Formaldehyde in the vapor
    Vaping set off my carbon monoxide detector
    Would love to vape but can't afford it.

Have heard all of those and more.

Then you have state legislators trying to tax vaping into oblivion.

So most vapers stick with the devil they know.

tckenno

ECF Veteran
    Dec 29, 2015
    N. Michigan
    Hi and welcome tckenno.

I live in Australia and we don't have any 'brick and mortar' shops. In addition, selling nicotine e-liquids is simply illegal here. One has to buy it from overseas in small quantities.

For me, I had to do a lot of research online. Online forums and Youtube were it. Whilst I did locate some local online based companies that sold hardwares, I did have to source my juices from overseas. It is a daunting task, especially when you try to make the transition from cigarettes to vaping in one go. Took me months to decide. It was worth it.

Now I am using knowledge, albeit limited, to help a friend and his girlfriend get into vaping and off the stinkies. Whilst I do not know the full ramifications of this habit, it is most certainly healthier than the alternative.

I have been vaping for about 8 days and have not a cigarette since, nor am I craving for it. I smoked for 14-15 years. Here's to a happy new year, and healthier lungs.
    Hi KayP. I don't really get the Aussie government stance on this issue. Would have thought them far more open-minded unless other interests such as djs mentioned are protecting their turf. My sense is more government regulation is coming to vaping. Just a matter of time and degree.

Reactions: EBates

tckenno

ECF Veteran
    Dec 29, 2015
    N. Michigan
    Well there are some real issues and a lot of lies about Vaping.

Real issues..

Some are allergic to the PG.

Vaping too low with Questionable batteries have blown up.

Now the lies.

On that's just as bad as smoking.
    Formaldehyde in the vapor
    Vaping set off my carbon monoxide detector
    Would love to vape but can't afford it.

Have heard all of those and more.

Then you have state legislators trying to tax vaping into oblivion.

So most vapers stick with the devil they know.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread