Why its important to have backups for your backups

Status
Not open for further replies.

StacyInOkla

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2013
Oklahoma
One of the most important things I've learned from ECF is rule #1 Always have backups for your backups backup. The reason for this was just illustrated for me. In the last 5 min I had three batteries die on me. Since I follow rule #1 I had just taken a fresh battery off the charger.
When I first started vaping I discovered waiting for an eGo to charge when having a bad craving can be the longest two hours of your life.
For me, I've learned the number of battery's needed to always have one charged. My rule of thumb is to have one more battery than tops. Since I like to rotate flavors I use 3 iClear 16s and have 4 battery's. This enables me to always have a battery charged. When I have them die at the same time (like now) I charge from shortest charge time to longest (might be a bit dorky but whenever I get a new battery I time how long it takes to charge. Usually I can charge two at a time but my other half took my spare charger to work). So I get battery's back in rotation quicker.
If you've made it this far thanks for reading my ramble :D

Amish Ed

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2010
Lake Forest, CA
amished.wordpress.com
I think you need a couple more batteries and another charger. I carry with me my Provari w/an extra battery, a Twist, an standard eGo, 3-4 carto tanks, and a T3. There was one day where I ended up resorting to the standard eGo and was very glad I had it. At home I keep an extra Twist and a couple more Standard eGos. 2 eGo chargers and my Lithium charger (still working on getting a spare one). Plus, numerous delivery devices.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Noob, in addition to backups for the backup, you also need to have a passthrough so you can vape while charging! ;)

Meh. Can't be bothered being tethered to a device because I didn't have the foresight to properly equip myself with the proper backups to the backups which also have backups to the backups. If you're so short sighted to have to revert to a pass through, you DESERVE the hassle involved with it. :p

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
I have too many 808 batteries to count, as well as a passthrough for the car (I disagree, retired1! passthroughs can solve a number of potential problems, but I think you know that, don't you?! ;), and I always carry 3 or 4 batteries (make sure they're all fully charged before leaving home) and double that number of carts and/or clearos. At home, I use 3 devices in rotation, so I always have 6 fully charged batteries waiting in the wings.

It's wise to remember that ecig devices are not immortal and can and do fail without warning! And not just ecigs. (My classic example is Thanksgiving a few years ago: family event; I cook dinner. While preparing everything, 1) the disposal went blooy, spewing crap all over the cabinet under the sink and resulting in 2) a total backup of the sink; and 3) the microwave died. All within an hour.)

I don't think we can stress enough to new vapers about the need for backups, especially when NOT having a backup could make the difference between successfully switching to ecigs or not.

chicknbemus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2013
SW NY
Noob, in addition to backups for the backup, you also need to have a passthrough so you can vape while charging! ;)

Unless of course you eat an extra bowl of wheaties for breakfast and develop "She-Ra Princess of Power" superpowers, and unscrew the top of your pass thru like I did :facepalm:
2013-07-22_15-57-48_286.jpg

mirth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2013
Oklahoma
I recently got my VAMO in and went a bit over board on the back up batteries. I bought 2 extra sets of 2 18650's with the 2 included in the kit I now have 6 18650s and only 1 device that uses them :?: Guess I now need to buy another 18650 device :mail:

I also have the MVP for both the long batt life and pass through capability, and eGos which havent seen the light of day since the switch but I'm glad they are there just in case :vapor:

StacyInOkla

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2013
Oklahoma
I think you need a couple more batteries and another charger. I carry with me my Provari w/an extra battery, a Twist, an standard eGo, 3-4 carto tanks, and a T3. There was one day where I ended up resorting to the standard eGo and was very glad I had it. At home I keep an extra Twist and a couple more Standard eGos. 2 eGo chargers and my Lithium charger (still working on getting a spare one). Plus, numerous delivery devices.
I'm working on building my collection. Every 2 weeks I'm getting more gear, my next purchase is going to be a Vamo. My SO cringes at the price of a ProVari, but I figure by Christmas I'll wear him down and have the Vamo and eGos until then. Eventually I get my way :D I have a feeling his main problem is he knows I want it and it makes Christmas shopping easy for him.
I've thought about passthroughs but my work is a lot of in and out of a newsroom (print). With the setup I have I always have something fully charged and get more than 4 hours vape time so I never out vape the charge time of my Twist.

CrimsonJack

Ursus Praedonum
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2013
The Vobbit Hole
I learned this lesson this week. I had an eGo battery stop working on me. Luckily the starter set I had gotten came with two batteries, so I wasn't COMPLETELY out of luck, but juggling the charging time with my one remaining battery sucked. Was still under warranty with Apollo, and they were pretty quick to send me a replacement battery, but I had a nervous few days there. I'm using my obvious need for more backup as an excuse to upgrade. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread