Why no temp control in threads (Valyrian Tank)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyVixen

Jul 13, 2018
hello

I'm new here but after reading reviews on a number of tanks namely the Valyrian which I own and love, one thing struck me as odd. People have commented requesting settings for power and despite the fact that some of the Valyrian uses stainless steel no one has suggested using Jules as opposed to Watts (temp control) maybe I'm a bit of a rarity in that I exclusively use mods with YiHi chipsets for their temperature control settings but I've never had the type of issues people complain about e.g. Getting a burnt taste after 3 days to a week. I was primarily an RDA user until I purchased my Valyrian tank but the coils I've used have lasted essentially the same amount of time my RDA coils do (2-4 weeks) and I go through around a tank and a half to two tank fills daily so it's not as if I'm a light user.

For any interested I run at 300 degrees Celsius with between 50-55 Jules depending on how much flavor I want.

Can anyone shed light on why I seem to be the odd person out or are there more temp control users and I'm just not reading the right reviews?

Reactions: stols001

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Most people use watts but there are several TC users around on the board. When the subject comes up it is mostly someone looking for help with it. I use on most tanks and run around 400F. Get a nice pleasant vape out of it and coil wick last a long time. 300 C is a very high temperature though.

Face it though a lot of people have tried it and didn't like it much. It can be finicky to get to work right with a lot of the mods out there. A lot of the problems also stem TC using spaced coils to work best with a lot of people building contact coils or using vendor drop in coils that don't work well usually. There are also a lot of MTL vapers using above 1 ohm coils that don't work well with TC or are of non tc compatible metals.

You need a decent TC mod for it to be usable and a lot of the inexpensive mods out there just don't work that well with TC. Good TC mods aren't usually cheap. DNA and Yihi chipsets are on the more expensive side and a lot of people don't want to spend that much on a mod.

LadyVixen

Jul 13, 2018
You're pretty much always going to find more about power mode than temp control on practically everything. It is a fact that there are more people out there that use power mode than people that use temp control.

Yeah I suppose that makes sense. Though it's interesting given the popularity behind the DNA chips and other temp control based chipsets like the YiHi I mentioned earlier. One of the things I've seen people complaining is that on some tanks they had the set their mod to higher wattage to get the desired amount of flavor which naturally makes the vapor warmer physically and they were somewhat irritated by this. I don't really have that issue. I guess what stumps me is temp control seems to fix every issue I've read about thus far. Is the lack of popularity due to major mod makers like Smok opting not to use these options in their chips?

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Lots of people just do not understand TC, they express anxiety about having to learn 'new' things or really just do not want to be bothered to learn anything about it. With power/watts there isn't really anything to learn, just set it up and vape. Most do not want to spend a lot of money and that is whom most of the mod makers target.

:)

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
I am numbered among those who have tried TC repeatedly-- some chipsets are now pretty good at it, unlike the first ones-- but keep going back to straight power settings... when I don't vape mechanicals anyway. FWIW, I use Stainless 316 wire in my coil builds pretty much exclusively. It can be, and often is, used in wattage mode and even in mechs. Stainless wire is one of those capable of TC work, but it is not exclusive to this regime.

And pardon me for channeling my inner techno-nerd: I hate YiHi using Joules for their boards, although I like the boards just fine. FYI, a "Joule" is a measure of work or energy, and it is equal to 1/3600th of a watt-hour, or one watt per second, or one watt-second. Watt, OTOH, is a measure of power (with it's own technical description I'll spare you) and has no time component, as in so much power applied over so much time. If your vape draw equaled exactly one second, at a 1-watt power setting it would produce 1 Joule of work or energy. If the draw lasted two seconds, the 1 watt setting would produce two Joules and so forth. The reason I don't like Joules used in that frame of reference is because vape draws are time variable and it is therefore an inappropriate unit of measure. Experience has shown me, even though YiHi uses Joules (I read somewhere they did it to avoid a lawsuit for patent infringement, which may or may not be true) they actually mean watts, and the two are identical in size, even though they measure different things. Finally, apologies for hijacking your thread to get that off my chest.

Vape happy, using TC or not, as best pleases you.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Yeah I suppose that makes sense. Though it's interesting given the popularity behind the DNA chips and other temp control based chipsets like the YiHi I mentioned earlier. One of the things I've seen people complaining is that on some tanks they had the set their mod to higher wattage to get the desired amount of flavor which naturally makes the vapor warmer physically and they were somewhat irritated by this. I don't really have that issue. I guess what stumps me is temp control seems to fix every issue I've read about thus far. Is the lack of popularity due to major mod makers like Smok opting not to use these options in their chips?
I am one of those people. The only regulated device I use has a DNA chip in it, but I never once used temp control on it. I do not like temp control wires, SS wire leaves a metallic taste in my mouth and I have zero interest in titanium, so I only use ni80 and sometimes kanthal. I run mechs almost exclusively except the DNA every once in a while, so it does not make sense to me to set up my DNA device to run a lot different than what I normally run, but rather set it up to run very similar to what I'm used to.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Temperature control is more about the mod than the tank.
It would be nice if reviewers of drop in tanks said what was available but many of them are hacks just out for free stuff. People in threads here can't be expected to talk about what they don't care about.
There is a TC sub-form for mods. Temperature Control

I don't think joule is accurate as far as the TC mods go that use it and you can substitute watts for the word as most mods do.

I use TC exclusively and have since it came out affordably with P4U YiHi mods. I only use rebuildables though.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014

I missed this question in my above post: I don't use TC because I don't need it. I started building my coils back when mechanical mods were the only way to get up above 15 watts of power and, over the years, I have learned how to build coils yielding exactly the vape I want at either a specific power setting on a regulated mod, or even straight battery power (declining over time) in a mechanical. That, basically, is what TC does for you: regulates (or rather posts a maximum limit, a "do-not-exceed" value) on the surface temperature of the coil wire. Coil surface temp is an important variable for maximum enjoyment, and particularly in juices with complex flavor profiles: too cool and some heavier flavor notes will not be present; too hot and the juice will burn or some of the more volatile flavor molecules will "flash" and not be tasted. The thing is, I can regulate wire temperature without a computer chip to mind it for me. So I don't use TC. Not everybody has this skill set, and a great many more aren't sufficiently interested to acquire it, but for as many of them who still want the control to gain the best flavor and temperature regimen from their juice,TC is a godsend.

ShamrockPat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 5, 2015
    Grand Forks, ND
    People have commented requesting settings for power and despite the fact that some of the Valyrian uses stainless steel
    Which coils would those be? Are there new coils, because I see only 1, and it's described by Uwell like this 'The 0.15 ohm Valyrian A1 Kanthal Quad Coils features a wattage range of 95-120 watts.'

LadyVixen

Jul 13, 2018
    I am numbered among those who have tried TC repeatedly-- some chipsets are now pretty good at it, unlike the first ones-- but keep going back to straight power settings... when I don't vape mechanicals anyway. FWIW, I use Stainless 316 wire in my coil builds pretty much exclusively. It can be, and often is, used in wattage mode and even in mechs. Stainless wire is one of those capable of TC work, but it is not exclusive to this regime.

And pardon me for channeling my inner techno-nerd: I hate YiHi using Joules for their boards, although I like the boards just fine. FYI, a "Joule" is a measure of work or energy, and it is equal to 1/3600th of a watt-hour, or one watt per second, or one watt-second. Watt, OTOH, is a measure of power (with it's own technical description I'll spare you) and has no time component, as in so much power applied over so much time. If your vape draw equaled exactly one second, at a 1-watt power setting it would produce 1 Joule of work or energy. If the draw lasted two seconds, the 1 watt setting would produce two Joules and so forth. The reason I don't like Joules used in that frame of reference is because vape draws are time variable and it is therefore an inappropriate unit of measure. Experience has shown me, even though YiHi uses Joules (I read somewhere they did it to avoid a lawsuit for patent infringement, which may or may not be true) they actually mean watts, and the two are identical in size, even though they measure different things. Finally, apologies for hijacking your thread to get that off my chest.

Vape happy, using TC or not, as best pleases you.

Excellent post! I've been trying to find an optimum setup for my own personal tastes. I pretty much abhor kanthal coils which prior to using nichrome I had no idea that the metals used would make a difference. Even the cotton made a huge difference. I like many I'm sure started on Smok and ignorantly thought it was "good" until I tried a friend's YiHi and I felt like my eyes had been opened. I tend to use iPV mods since they are cheaper but still have YiHi chips, sadly my favorite mod died on me which was a Sx Mini Q. The iPV mod was supposed to be a temporary replacement until I could find another but they are harder and harder to find meanwhile the quality of iPV mods has gotten better. What YiHi mods have you tried?

flavourchaser

ECF Veteran
    Jun 25, 2018
    Can anyone shed light on why I seem to be the odd person out or are there more temp control users and I'm just not reading the right reviews?

There's a lot of temp control guys here. I'm one of them. I use TC on my Pyro RDTA's and Single Coil builds. I plan to change out all my mods to temp control cause some of them are just not that good at it. I love TC. Once my mods die I'll replace them with more Pulse 80watt

Which coil are you using on the Valyrian, last time I used a Valyrian it was only a Kanthal coil, not stainless steel. IIRC

Last edited:

JimzDogz

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 1, 2013
    Pensacola, Florida, USA
    I believe it's an issue with the materials temp control coils have to be made from. Nichol and chromium in some coil material has caused many to have concerns about health issues. Stainless Steel is wildly inconsistent and unstable where resistance is concerned. Titanium on the other hand is stable, the taste from it is very good, but it requires cleaning before using and cannot be dry burned without possibly causing a toxic scale forming on the wire. I gave up on temp control years ago. But, I recently put Titanium single coil in my Entheon and Krma RDAs and was very pleased to find both worked great in temp control. I've been running them in TC for about 3 days now and the resistance is still reading 0.14 ohm just as it did when I installed them. I may stick with TC for a while.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2014
    Excellent post! I've been trying to find an optimum setup for my own personal tastes. I pretty much abhor kanthal coils which prior to using nichrome I had no idea that the metals used would make a difference. Even the cotton made a huge difference. I like many I'm sure started on Smok and ignorantly thought it was "good" until I tried a friend's YiHi and I felt like my eyes had been opened. I tend to use iPV mods since they are cheaper but still have YiHi chips, sadly my favorite mod died on me which was a Sx Mini Q. The iPV mod was supposed to be a temporary replacement until I could find another but they are harder and harder to find meanwhile the quality of iPV mods has gotten better. What YiHi mods have you tried?
    Lol, I doubt I can remember them all, and if I could it might be easier to list the ones I haven't tried. Also, YiHi makes their boards available in the market and I have built a few, mostly in wood although I have done a few 3D printed.

Yes, the metal makes a difference. I use Stainless because it's the best flavor I have found, although there are people who do not agree, and others who would award the title to titanium. If you have the option-- you're not a coil builder, right? you use drop in or pre-fab coils?-- try some with different metals to see what you like best. It might open your eyes.

I was an early adopter of TC-- I hate to think what I paid for that 200W Snow Wolf V1-- but the very first boards could only use nickel (Ni200) wire and it tasted so horrible I quit TC almost immediately and didn't try again until I bought a mod that could TC SS wire. I'm sure I still have several spools of Ni200 wire laying around somewhere-- doubt I used as much as 6 inches of the stuff-- which I would be happy to donate to the cause, but I honestly don't recommend it :)

I have an SX mini as well, and it's also one of my favorite mods. Don't remember what class. LMNOP maybe.

You might want to get verified on the classified ads board here. One occasionally sees an SX pop up in the classies. Also, thevapetrader.com list them from time to time. You can also find them on eBay, but that can be iffy unless from a verified seller.

Finally, I'm not an expert on this stuff, but the people I know who do use TC generally tell me they like the DNA boards better than YiHi: more stable TC and more bells and whistles to go along. They're not cheap, nor are mods containing them, but one of these days you might want to try one. Next time you visit your local vape emporium you might see somebody with one. Most people will let you hit their mod if you carry a spare drip tip in your pocket.

Hawise

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    I think there are a few factors. One is that TC just doesn't add much for some people. If you take shorter puffs, you can often get exactly what you want without it. I take longer puffs, so the consistency really matters for me. Then there's the intimidation factor of having to learn something new. Finally, I think a lot of people who might really like it are put off by the quality of TC on your average mod. It's true that they're improving, but the experience is still worlds apart from a DNA or Yihi. Even people who would be willing to buy a DNA or Yihi mod if they were sure they'd like it aren't likely to go for one if they've been disappointed with lower-end TC and can't be sure they'll like the higher-end mod.

flavourchaser

ECF Veteran
    Jun 25, 2018
    I use Stainless because it's the best flavor I have found, although there are people who do not agree, and others who would award the title to titanium..

Stainless Steel for the win :D. All jokes aside I love Stainless Steel, I lock in the resistance though in my mod

flavourchaser

ECF Veteran
    Jun 25, 2018
    Which coils would those be? Are there new coils, because I see only 1, and it's described by Uwell like this 'The 0.15 ohm Valyrian A1 Kanthal Quad Coils features a wattage range of 95-120 watts.'

Yeah that should answer the question why everyone is using wattage on the valyrian tank. lol :D

sdennislee

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2012
    Alaska
    I have the Valyrian too and my manual says the coil material is A1 which makes me think its Kanthal and not stainless. I have not yet found a credible source verifying that the Valyrian coils are stainless. I have seen a few reviews where the reviewer is guessing they are stainless.

Some sites even list them as Kanthal like this one Valyrian Replacement Coils.

If you found something verifying they are stainless please share a link

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread