Why no temp control in threads (Valyrian Tank)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
This is showing one reason I only do rebuildables. Never being sure what premade coils are. I've seen stainless steel (or SS as in SSOCC) and it's assumed it's the coil when they meant the body.

I don't understand why people are intimidated by TC. It's not hard to build for. Just wrap a stainless coil. The only problem I've run into is the room temperature they get locked in at.

Reactions: stols001

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Why ever did anybody here reply in this thread?

Just stop this!

When it comes to TC, this site has an own forum for it, right?

Have this thread transferred to the forum area for Temperature Control.
Ought to be quite easy.

That forum is in mods. I think this was about tanks with drop in coils.

mountainbikermark

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2014
central Virginia
Lol, I doubt I can remember them all, and if I could it might be easier to list the ones I haven't tried. Also, YiHi makes their boards available in the market and I have built a few, mostly in wood although I have done a few 3D printed.

Yes, the metal makes a difference. I use Stainless because it's the best flavor I have found, although there are people who do not agree, and others who would award the title to titanium. If you have the option-- you're not a coil builder, right? you use drop in or pre-fab coils?-- try some with different metals to see what you like best. It might open your eyes.

I was an early adopter of TC-- I hate to think what I paid for that 200W Snow Wolf V1-- but the very first boards could only use nickel (Ni200) wire and it tasted so horrible I quit TC almost immediately and didn't try again until I bought a mod that could TC SS wire. I'm sure I still have several spools of Ni200 wire laying around somewhere-- doubt I used as much as 6 inches of the stuff-- which I would be happy to donate to the cause, but I honestly don't recommend it :)

I have an SX mini as well, and it's also one of my favorite mods. Don't remember what class. LMNOP maybe.

You might want to get verified on the classified ads board here. One occasionally sees an SX pop up in the classies. Also, thevapetrader.com list them from time to time. You can also find them on eBay, but that can be iffy unless from a verified seller.

Finally, I'm not an expert on this stuff, but the people I know who do use TC generally tell me they like the DNA boards better than YiHi: more stable TC and more bells and whistles to go along. They're not cheap, nor are mods containing them, but one of these days you might want to try one. Next time you visit your local vape emporium you might see somebody with one. Most people will let you hit their mod if you carry a spare drip tip in your pocket.
I got hooked on tc with my old iStick 40. Nickel only but the wicks were so small and I was new to direct lung it was the only way i could use it effectively.
I fell off the vaping wagon for a few years but once I started vaping again I went back to the iStick 40 until doing some research on what's what now. I'm really liking stainless steel and use them on an eLeaf Aster, Aegis Legend and a Kanger Subox. I still use my old tanks with nickel coils when I want a tight draw as sometimes just the tight draw is enough to keep me smoke free.
Anyway I temp control from when it was new and plan on sticking with it.
I also understand why so many won't try it. With watts it's just plug and play. With tc it's find the right metal, make sure mod is set to match then find the right temperature. That's just too much work when the Marlboro man is whispering in your ear that just 1 won't hurt.
I also like the battery and juice savings of temperature control.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
According to Uwell's home site, the Valarian coils use Kanthal, so that tank would be incompatible for TC.

"The Valyrian coil system has been created to bring out the best flavor and vapor production. Adopting a Quad coil structure along with a wide hole for the base connection makes for a coil with big airflow and tons of flavor.

The 0.15 ohm Valyrian A1 Kanthal Quad Coils features a wattage range of 95-120 watts."

Coil Specifications:

• 2 Coils in each pack.
    • 0.15 ohm Coil
      • A1 Kanthal Quad Coil
      • 95 to 120W

Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The original Crown tank uses stainless steel which allows use either in wattage or TC, and also has a Ni200 coil for TC only. Original Uwell Crown Clearomizer Tank

1.2 ohm Single Stainless Steel Uwell Crown Coil - 10 to 30W
0.5 ohm Dual Stainless Steel Uwell Crown Sub-Ohm Coil - 30 to 80W
0.25 ohm Dual Stainless Steel Uwell Crown Sub-Ohm Coil - 80 to 120W
0.15 ohm Dual Ni200 Nickel Uwell Crown Sub-Ohm Coil - 400 to 600 Degrees Fahrenheit (temp control)
IMHO, the best tank Uwell has made. More options in coil selection for whatever wattage range you use. It seems Uwell took a backward step when designing their followup tanks and coils.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think some of it has to do with preferences, and also when someone has started vaping, as well as what they need from their vape. I started with SS wire when I started with rebuildable tanks, mainly because it's a versatile wire that can really vape in either mode pretty easily. I don't notice huge taste differences in wires, and I think that may be in part because I didn't develop a lengthy practice with vaping only one type of wire.

I use TC when I need it, if I am out and about with a few mods, and my other best practices in regard to TC mean that (and I have tested this out somewhat thoroughly) ensure that it's really rare for me to hit my temperature ceiling which is really on the puny side.

I do have some vape equipment as a MTL vaper that isn't TC and I'm not willing to give it up. When I do want to use a TC setting, out and about, it's generally those mods that I can do TC with that I bring with me.

But, I think TC overall can generally be suited to rebuildables, and often times wattage ranges that I think are on the mid- to high- side. I believe and agree that there may be times where unsafe temperatures can be reached in any tank.

But, doing things like adding a bit of distilled water, not chainvaping very small and kanthal only MTL tanks, rotating tanks, etc., can also make a fair difference in overall tank temperatures. When I was new my tanks certainly at times heated up noticeably to the touch, but I have a lot more setups now and a lot of variety.

TC does require some planning and experimenting but honestly I do think it may well be likely that more vapers will adopt it or something similar, IDK. There is certainly plenty of talk about TC and lots of vapers who love it.

I like it for when it's useful for me. Etc. I also don't think anyone who doesn't want to use TC should necessarily feel pressured to do so, although I do wonder at times why someone would buy a DNA device and then not use 90% of it's capacities, although I also think that as mods and etc. get more precise, it's easier to use TC mode overall. Etc.

Anan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread