Why so leaky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
I've been using 801 atty/cart systems for a long time and I love them!!
The only time I have problems with any leakage at all has been because I puff too hard, poor contact between battery/atomizer or not puffing long enough, diminishing battery power.
Totally opposite from cigarettes, too short a puff and puffing too hard main culprits of poor vapor production and excess liquid being pulled from the cart. If you hear a "gurgling" noise when you puff, your atomizer is flooded. Remove from the battery, yes, even with the Janty Stick, blow out the excess liquid from the thread end of the atomizer, make sure contact points between battery and atty are clean and dry and seated well together. Give that atomizer plenty of time to heat up, and with auto batteries do a short "pre-puff" and then a nice long gentle pull.
Also, watch the wick or "filler" material in the cartridge, it has to be just the exact right consistency to hold the proper amount of juice...if you have voids or bunched up areas in the wick, the heat from the atomizer can't properly make it leach out. No I didn't say leak out , I said leach out. If the wick is too dense it won't allow juice flow, not dense enough will not hold the juice. I use a needle-tip bottle to fill cart from the bottom up, nice and wet but never puddled on top.
Those three things should keep you happily vaping.
It's usually not an equipment failure, it's usually pilot error, sorry to have to say that.
With the high-bridge or low-bridge attys always keep the bridge and widest part of the cart aligned for proper fit, and never twist the cartridge in and out of the atty. Make sure the wet wicking is touching the bridge of the atty at all times.
I've used the pen-style 801's and now a Janty Stick, and I can say the most trouble I have with keeping atty/cart in proper position is with those darned high'bridge or tall V atomizers, those things be damned! I get the low-bridge ones from MyVaporStore, the Joye302 atomizers. Get the right cartridge to fit them as well. All 801's are not created equal. If you're still getting excess fluid on the outside of the cart, try snipping off about 1/8th of an inch off the cart, seems to make them vaporize more efficiently without too much condensation.

Last edited:

Quitter

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2009
Cleveland, OH
Kate - I don't doubt for a minute that it's operator error on my part. Seems like alot of folks have no issues with the 801's. But boy I can't find the secret! When I use the stock Janty carts & atomizer I get no wicking. Now you would think that the supplied peices would work without any intervention. That's why I keep trying different things to make it work. The supplied carts came per-loaded with RY4 high which I can't stand. But I've vaped a few of them till they tasted burnt, which was only about 10 hits or so. I'm doing all the right things like slow, easy pulls, giving time in between etc.

Do you recommend snipping of a little of the poly to create a little less dense material?

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
Kate - I don't doubt for a minute that it's operator error on my part. Seems like alot of folks have no issues with the 801's. But boy I can't find the secret! When I use the stock Janty carts & atomizer I get no wicking. Now you would think that the supplied peices would work without any intervention. That's why I keep trying different things to make it work. The supplied carts came per-loaded with RY4 high which I can't stand. But I've vaped a few of them till they tasted burnt, which was only about 10 hits or so. I'm doing all the right things like slow, easy pulls, giving time in between etc.

Do you recommend snipping of a little of the poly to create a little less dense material?
Try first to pull just a few fibers out of it, a little bit at a time, retry, if that works great! When you put the cart in, pull the fiber wick out past the edge of the cart just a bit. If it's too far the bridge should push it in to just the right depth. When you get it to wick right, pull it out one more time just to remember how far to pull it out, expose it more in other words. If the bridge pushes it inside the cart holder, the plastic part, then that means the cart itself is too long, snip off 1/8th inch from the plastic holder.
That may be where you're getting the burnt taste. I have to agree with those RY4 carts, the filler is very dense, so would be good to thin them out a bit, and wash that stuff out too!! A lot of people do like all the "RY#'s" I understand that.
I don't think most suppliers sell the right cart to co-ordinate with the atomizers, to be honest. I've bought attys where ever I could find a good deal, so the carts and attys aren't necessarily matching unit, so you have to improvise sometimes. Good luck.
I Keep getting bumped off here, sorry!

Last edited:

Closet Toker

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2009
Trempealeau, WI.
I can honestly say it took me about 5 weeks to "master" my technique.

I only drip my atomizer.

I used 901/4075 atty's before my 801.

Talk about night and day in difference.

It was a whole new ball game!

I have no more interests in "exploring" other atomizers.

I love the 801.... well, the SLB801 anyway.

I get my SLB atomizers at Rocky Mountain Vapor (RMV).... $7.00 apiece!

Last edited:

Closet Toker

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2009
Trempealeau, WI.
I bought 2 801 atty's from RMV and they're high bridge units. They don't seem as strong as the Janty Classic atty that came with my JS though. The high bridge is good for dripping but sticks up too far for carts. But the price was excellent!

Just my .02

I have not tried the Janty, but I have heard they are the best.

deewal

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2008
In a house.
Kate51. Where do you buy your carts for your Joye302 atomizers. I can't seem to find any blanks and the only ones in the UK i can find are filled with Tobacco taste nic which i hate. The Joye302's are actually the same ones that Janty use for their Kissbox and Tawa's but even Janty Carts don't fit Janty Attys or Joye302's properly either ! :confused:

I also find that the Janty's are the worst atty's to use with the JantyStick.
What do you use to "snip off 1/8th inch from the plastic holder" ?
Dee

MargotA575

Nov 7, 2009
New Mexico
Try first to pull just a few fibers out of it, a little bit at a time, retry, if that works great! When you put the cart in, pull the fiber wick out past the edge of the cart just a bit. If it's too far the bridge should push it in to just the right depth. When you get it to wick right, pull it out one more time just to remember how far to pull it out, expose it more in other words. If the bridge pushes it inside the cart holder, the plastic part, then that means the cart itself is too long, snip off 1/8th inch from the plastic holder.
That may be where you're getting the burnt taste. I have to agree with those RY4 carts, the filler is very dense, so would be good to thin them out a bit, and wash that stuff out too!! A lot of people do like all the "RY#'s" I understand that.
I don't think most suppliers sell the right cart to co-ordinate with the atomizers, to be honest. I've bought attys where ever I could find a good deal, so the carts and attys aren't necessarily matching unit, so you have to improvise sometimes. Good luck.
I Keep getting bumped off here, sorry!
I too go where I can get a good price. I've noticed something about different carts. Some have more "wool" than others (high vs low bridge) and had some with the filler either glued or have a caulk-like stuff that fills the little "cup" at the bottom of the cart. Usually fluffing the wool works but when there is that adhesive stuff on it, I either pull or trim it off, then refluff the wool. It seems to wick better. Also, the ejuice goes into that little cup easier; less topping off.

Nietzsc

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2009
México
I also find that the Janty's are the worst atty's to use with the JantyStick.
What do you use to "snip off 1/8th inch from the plastic holder" ?
Dee[/quote]

You can use a razor blade, you know those that have just one cutting side?
But don't just try to cut it if the holder is empty because when you push down with the blade it will squeeze and you would end up with a very un-even cut.

To get it right you can use a plastic holder from another cartridge, when you pull them out of the mouthpiece you realize that the bottom of that piece is "thinner", so that "thinner" part of the plastic holder will fit in to the other plastic holder so that way it wont be squeezed when doing the cut.

Then you make your measure and start to mark your cut all arround the plastic holder whit your blade, once you are sure about that mark you can take off the other plastic holder and make your cut.

Hope I explained myself...

MargotA575

Nov 7, 2009
New Mexico
I will get jusice in my mouth once in a while, and I agree that is likely from over filling. But I constantly, when I pop off my cart to top it off, have juice that runs down the outside of the white part of the cart and it runs down on the black mouthpiece where I ALWAYS have to wipe my mouthpiece off before using it again. Just frustrating, but perhaps if my filler was holding the juice better this wouldn't happen.
I had this issue with my 801. I live in the Chihuahuan Desert in New Mexico and most of the time the air is VERY dry. Never had a big problem with leaking until monsoon season came and it got humid. Then I got to thinking that maybe it wasn't leakage as much as excess condensation. Think for a minute. Fluid doesn't leak up (gravity) without a proper wick or unless it is a vapor first then condenses.

I switched to the Fluval white foam (which made the biggest difference), not try to squeeze that 1 or 2 last drops into the cart, regularly pull out the cart and wipe off the excess ejuice before it starts going into the mouthpiece. I don't get any ejuice in the mouthpiece this way.

I get more leakage from my 801 cart than any other that I have used. It always ends up saturating the outside of the mouthpiece, and sometimes I draw liquid thru it. Anyone else have this problem, or is it just me?:confused:

I noticed this too, (I use an 801 too? I discovered it's PG, it's thin, like water) then I switched to using VG, which is alot thicker than PG,

problem solved! .No more leaks! ever!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread