WI bill to increase smoke-free tax same as cigarettes? CASAA's Kristin Noll-Marsh exposes the lies on her blog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
The problem with that is tobacco is not the problem, it's smoking. Western smokeless tobacco, contrary to common myth, has the same low risk as vaping. Actually there is a lot more science behind smokeless tobacco then vaping with over 40 years of studies. Increasing taxes on ST works against public health as much as imposing taxes on e-liquid.

There is really no question that e-liquid will be classified as a tobacco product, and there is no reason it shouldn't be as the main (and only active ingredient) is extracted from tobacco. That is not the problem. The problem is that recreational use of tobacco/nicotine has been so demonized that even some in the electronic cigarette community are trying to run away from tobacco by making believe it really isn't. It is not going to work. The same people who are lying about the dangers of ST are the same people lying about the dangers of vaping.

My relatives are glad I vape instead of smoking, but they still ask me when I'm going to quit. I explain the logic and the extensive harm studies over and over and they still think nicotine kills. I see from the studies that caffeine and nicotine are about equal in harm level, but we all vape all day but usually restrict coffee to a morning activity. I can see the point that too much nic is a bad thing. That's why I'm slowly moving downward in nic percentage.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
It's obvious that we won't get out of life alive. If you want to enrage the masses, take away their coffee (or their nicotine source).

Suzi Gage: Can drinking too much coffee kill you? | Science | theguardian.com

Lots of headlines last week warned young people (those under 55) that drinking more than 28 cups of coffee a week – four cups a day – may lead to an increased risk of all cause mortality. In other words, too much coffee might be a potential killer.

The headlines are based on a study published in the Mayo Clinic Proceedings, and have been reported in the Guardian, Daily Mail and Telegraph, to name but three.

<snip>

The study takes account of some other potential differences between coffee drinkers and non coffee drinkers which could affect the relationship (what are known as confounders – people who drink coffee might also be more likely to smoke, or have higher blood pressure, for example). The differences this study controls for are: other hot drink use (caffeinated or not), physical activity, body mass index (a measure of weight taking height in to account), smoking, alcohol use, diabetes, hypertension, cholesterol level, and family history of cardiovascular disease.

Last edited:

Exhaler

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2013
Mountains of NC, USA
Once a local, state or federal government gets use to having a certain amount of tax funds, it will always find a way to justify raising taxes somewhere else if the primary taxes are reduced or ended. The people we have in power are rich and greedy and don't mind taxing middle and lower income groups no matter what they say. "I'm here to help the middle class" is just plain BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread