Status
Not open for further replies.

MortenOen

Nov 16, 2016
We have all done it wrong. Again. Well most of us, myself included.

According to Jurin's Law the capillary effect is stronger the tighter space you have to lead your fluid through. Gravity is not the biggest issue in vaping, but viscocity plays a role, so I wanted to test out this effect with vaping materials. I can confirm that Jurin's law applies to vaping. As a conclusion after making this video, I would say; don't fluff your cotton, and make your wick as hard as you dare. Make sure your coil is in the air flow path, and lower your watts by 20%, or add another wrap to the coil if you use mech mods.

I might come back to this one in a short while, because I still have unanswered questions. But I'm working on another experiment including heat, and I have a hypothesis.

Wick Hard!

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Personally I think one can do every test in the book and get no closer to knowing...imo, time and experience is the only way to know exactly how much is right. There are obvious results of too much or too little and once you know that, you adjust accordingly. Personally I have always found that slightly too much is better then slightly not enough and since using rayon, more is definitely better

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
We have all done it wrong. Again. Well most of us, myself included.

According to Jurin's Law the capillary effect is stronger the tighter space you have to lead your fluid through. Gravity is not the biggest issue in vaping, but viscocity plays a role, so I wanted to test out this effect with vaping materials. I can confirm that Jurin's law applies to vaping. As a conclusion after making this video, I would say; don't fluff your cotton, and make your wick as hard as you dare. Make sure your coil is in the air flow path, and lower your watts by 20%, or add another wrap to the coil if you use mech mods.

I might come back to this one in a short while, because I still have unanswered questions. But I'm working on another experiment including heat, and I have a hypothesis.

Wick Hard!

Not Disputing your Results, but I'm not sure Jurin's Law would be the best choice of Causality.

If I wanted to Describe the behavior of say an e-Liquid in a Squonk Feed Tube between the Bottle and the 510 Connector, Jurin's Law would be Highly Applicable.

Because the conditions I am trying to Describe can be Directly expressed as:

1b.png

where

This law is valid if the tube radius is smaller than the capillary length.

But when I try to Quantify Jurin's Law in terms of Wicking up to and Inside a Coil, things start to Fall Apart. The System goes from a Simple Parameter Set to a Complex System where all the Parameters can Not Easily be defined.

Like I said, I'm not Disputing your Results. Just question how Applicable Jurin's Law is to describe Wicking Performance when used in Coil?

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
You can never have too much cotton in your coils. They only get better
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, and sorry if I am, but are you actually saying, you cannot ever have too much cotton in coil?

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I think I like this post, I wish I had the background to fully understand it.

Not Disputing your Results, but I'm not sure Jurin's Law would be the best choice of Causality.

If I wanted to Describe the behavior of say an e-Liquid in a Squonk Feed Tube between the Bottle and the 510 Connector, Jurin's Law would be Highly Applicable.

Because the conditions I am trying to Describe can be Directly expressed as:

View attachment 702749

where

This law is valid if the tube radius is smaller than the capillary length.

But when I try to Quantify Jurin's Law in terms of Wicking up to and Inside a Coil, things start to Fall Apart. The System goes from a Simple Parameter Set to a Complex System where all the Parameters can Not Easily be defined.

Like I said, I'm not Disputing your Results. Just question how Applicable Jurin's Law is to describe Wicking Performance when used in Coil?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I think I like this post, I wish I had the background to fully understand it.

All I was really Trying to say is when you have this condition...

7n5kW.jpg

... a Fluid in a Smooth Walled tube, Jurin's Law can usually be used to make determinations about How High a Liquid can/will be displaced Vertically in the tube.

But when there is no Smooth Walled tube, and when the Liquid is Not in a continuous state, ie it is Saturated in Cotton or some other Fibrous Material, I'm not sure how applicable Jurin's Law really is?

And the Causality of the Results seen under One Type of System can't always be extend to Similar Result in a Different Type of System.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Helpful graph for us who are both scientifically and mathematically challenged.

All I was really Trying to say is when you have this condition...

7n5kW.jpg

... a Fluid in a Smooth Walled tube, Jurin's Law can usually be used to make determinations about How High a Liquid can/will be displaced Vertically in the tube.

But when there is no Smooth Walled tube, and when the Liquid is Not in a continuous state, ie it is Saturated in Cotton or some other Fibrous Material, I'm not sure how applicable Jurin's Law really is?

And the Causality of the Results seen under One Type of System can't always be extend to Similar Result in a Different Type of System.

Wraith504

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
New Orleans, LA
I have certainly over stuffed with cotton and choked coils causing dry hits. This is easily determined by pulling some of the cotton out then continuing to vape with no dry hits after the adjustment. Not a full re wick, just pulling some of the cotton out of the existing wicking. Rayon in the RTA for the win!

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia
Holy hell..
I have to take my shoes off to count my money and now there's complicated equations being used to describe my juices behavior when cotton is tight vs loose.

Guys, call me when this is figured out and explain it to me like I'm five.

No, wait, three.

MortenOen

Nov 16, 2016
If Jurin's law cant be applied (The tighter the space, the higher and faster the liquid goes), then this means that we have stumbled upon a new physical effect. Someone should try to calculate it and make a name for themselves:)
By the way, I have just made another experiment that shows the same results, but regarding fluffing... of cotton, that is:)

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
If Jurin's law cant be applied (The tighter the space, the higher and faster the liquid goes), then this means that we have stumbled upon a new physical effect. Someone should try to calculate it and make a name for themselves:)
By the way, I have just made another experiment that shows the same results, but regarding fluffing... of cotton, that is:)

Sorry, but I just don't see this being applicable...maybe if we vaped tanks that solely relied on 100 percent of capillary action with no help, and tanks that had no vapor, maybe, but imo there are a bunch of other factors that effect it. For one, if it is true that it's impossible to have to much in coil, well then what about the amount of wicking material in channels (rtas)? There is little doubt that you can block off juice flow by having too much their, so if one has to reduce tail amounts , let's say by half (if you go with your assumption, and stuff as much as you can) then how will this effect the vape? With above scenario, you now have to test a totally stuffed coil, like in your test, and see how they differ with different amount of tails. Also most of our vaping doesn't start out dry, a better test has to be, a totally saturated coil , and then sizzle that juice off to see which one recoups the fastest. Once that sort of test is done with various densities , not only in coil, but channel amounts, then and only can this be really linked to what's actually happening in our tanks in real time.. I honestly love what your doing, it shows such an appreciation and dedication to vaping that is needed, but I'm just not so sure if a simple test like that has a true bearing on it. Imo, you just need to have experience and in time, one will know the best amounts for their set up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread