The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Wick material experiment...

Discussion in 'Experiments With Equipment' started by Jaaxx, Dec 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Terraphon

Terraphon Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jan 12, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    I'm not sure how that would work. If the flow could be controlled it would be pretty nice...There'd be a LOT of vaping to be done per cartridge.

It's an interesting idea.

2. Cuando

Cuando Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Eerie. I went through a pretty nasty apartment fire a couple years ago, and inhaled more smoke than I'd like to mention trying to put it out.

Anyway, I was wondering what that 'familiar' taste was when vaping, especially when the cart begins to dry out.

IT'S THE DAMN COUCH/PILLOW STUFFING!!!

Damn, talk about a turn off. I was under the impression the carts used wool for the wicking material. I really don't like the idea of using anything non-organic. I wonder if wool would work in place of the batting...

Okay, from Wikipedia:

Hrmm, promising, right? Maybe not:

Not so sure if I'm reading this right. Any insight, guys? Could wool possibly be a good wicking alternative?

3. katink

katink Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Apr 24, 2008
    the Netherlands
    It has been tried for use and discarded I think (not by me, I just remember reading this - no idea where,sorry).

Otoh - if you keep your cartridge and the mesh bridge as wet as they should be, no cartfilling will melt or burn or anything (after all the shell of the cartridges is plastic also... nothing happens to them either, provided you don't allow your cart and mesh to go dry).

Perhaps changing to a pen-style would suit you better, if you tend to smoke your cig too dry regularly? I find those cartridges don't need half as much care as those tiny cartridges that dry out in two winks all the time. For me it was just about the same effect as going from always-needing-charging batteries to the passthrough... what a relief... :)

4. Kate

Kate Moved On

Jun 26, 2008
    UK
    What are your findings with the Kevlar Jaaxx, any good long term?

5. Figurehead

Figurehead Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jan 21, 2009
    Las Vegas Nevada

As I mentioned, I really don't think kevlar is the routte to go with this. It absorbes alot, but also depletes quickly.

6. Kate

Kate Moved On

Jun 26, 2008
    UK
    Sorry Figurehead, I didn't reread the thread before I bumped it.

7. Banqer

Banqer Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 10, 2009
    I have been thinking about how to mod a cart to make it better, specifically 901 carts. I was thinking a fabric plug, a few mm thick placed at the top of the cart after it is filled might do the trick. Anyone tried this?

8. Vageorge

Vageorge Full Member

Mar 4, 2009
    Australia
    3m nextel looks like the way to go if it is available in the right size.

www DOT thermostatic DOT com/rope DOT shtml

Request a sample from here

www DOT 3m DOT com/market/industrial/ceramics/misc/sample DOT html

9. kinabaloo

kinabaloo Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Just found this thread.

The better a meterial is as a wick, the less suitable it is for a cart. The material must be worse, capillary-action-wise, than the metal wicking of the atomiser. If the cart material is too attractive for liquids it will actually suck juice out of the atomiser! What looks like just a cheap, naff cart filling is in fact a carefully chosen tradeoff between holding the juice in place and giving it up when the atomiser needs more. To put it another way, the cart is not actually a wick, it is itself a reservoir.

10. Zaxx

Zaxx Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 4, 2009
    Ohio
    i bought a bag of poly batting from Walmart. Is that the same as what you are talking about? I just wondered because I used it once and it worked fine, but, it "frays" a lot.

11. e-pipeman

e-pipeman Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Brown Edge, England
    Terraphon has done some good work on this forum about cart stuffing and poly batting. Have a search. :)

12. paulhampson

paulhampson Senior Member ECF Veteran

Nov 6, 2008
    Has anyone tried the wool out of kitchen air vent filter. Would this be OK?

13. Kate

Kate Moved On

Jun 26, 2008
    UK
  14. Figurehead

Figurehead Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jan 21, 2009
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Kate, no problem hun. I wasn't slamming you for not seeing the thread, I just want to make sure no one tries the kevlar, it's kind of expensive, and if everyone starts using it for e-cigs I won't be able to get it for my torches! LOL!

15. Kate

Kate Moved On

Jun 26, 2008
    UK
    Ha, I bet your supplies are safe from us, I can't see there being much demand for all this fiddling around even if it did work :D

16. bri1270

bri1270 Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 26, 2009
    Massachusetts - USA
    I found the Fluval to work better than the poly fill. It's drains onto the atomizer and doesn't retain near as much liquid as the poly.

My method for re-stuffing:

First, I peel about a 1/4" layer then:

1. cut a 1/4" wide by 1 1/2" long piece

2. Garb center of piece with tweezers

3. Stuff center into cart all the way to the bottom

4. Cut ends

5. fill until the material is wet

6. insert paperclip and move the material until the liquid drains down towards the mouthpiece.

7. top off cart

8. vape

17. KoS

KoS Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 24, 2009
    VT, USA
    Gona have to try the Fluval. Batting frays too much and your Fluval method seams like it would spread like a V around the atom, like poking a hole in the batting. Like it would nestle the atom in jucey love ;)

18. daemonjax

daemonjax Full Member

Jan 19, 2010
    NJ
    fiberglass wool insulation

19. daemonjax

daemonjax Full Member

Jan 19, 2010
    NJ
    Nevermind, it's a bad idea. You don't want to breathe fiberglass particles into your lungs.

Anyways...

You're going to want a material that has these properties:

1) Very Non-absorbent: It shouldn't wick the juice away from the atomizer filament.

2) Very high melting and burning point: It must survive being in close contact with the filament when it inevitably gets too hot)

20. lilith79

lilith79 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 23, 2010
    MI
    I was wondering about cotton balls, would they work?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.