Wick material experiment...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuando

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2009
Living in a box of CelluCotton
Eerie. I went through a pretty nasty apartment fire a couple years ago, and inhaled more smoke than I'd like to mention trying to put it out.

Anyway, I was wondering what that 'familiar' taste was when vaping, especially when the cart begins to dry out.

IT'S THE DAMN COUCH/PILLOW STUFFING!!!

Damn, talk about a turn off. I was under the impression the carts used wool for the wicking material. I really don't like the idea of using anything non-organic. I wonder if wool would work in place of the batting...

Okay, from Wikipedia:

Wool fibers are hygroscopic. This means wool has the power to readily absorb and give off moisture. It can absorb moisture almost one-third of its own weight.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wool#cite_note-2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wool#cite_note-2

Hrmm, promising, right? Maybe not:

Wool fiber exteriors are hydrophobic (repel water) and the interior of the wool fiber is hygroscopic (attracts water; this makes a wool garment able to cover a wet diaper while inhibiting wicking so outer garments remain dry.

Not so sure if I'm reading this right. Any insight, guys? Could wool possibly be a good wicking alternative?

Last edited:

katink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2008
the Netherlands
It has been tried for use and discarded I think (not by me, I just remember reading this - no idea where,sorry).

Otoh - if you keep your cartridge and the mesh bridge as wet as they should be, no cartfilling will melt or burn or anything (after all the shell of the cartridges is plastic also... nothing happens to them either, provided you don't allow your cart and mesh to go dry).

Perhaps changing to a pen-style would suit you better, if you tend to smoke your cig too dry regularly? I find those cartridges don't need half as much care as those tiny cartridges that dry out in two winks all the time. For me it was just about the same effect as going from always-needing-charging batteries to the passthrough... what a relief... :)

Figurehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2009
Las Vegas Nevada
www.myspace.com
I use kevlar wick on my fire beathing torches. I don't think it would be suitible for e-juice. It is very absorbant. I use a ton of kerosene just to keep my torches burning good and after every 5 or so fire spits I have to resoak the torch kevlar.

As I mentioned, I really don't think kevlar is the routte to go with this. It absorbes alot, but also depletes quickly.

Just found this thread.

The better a meterial is as a wick, the less suitable it is for a cart. The material must be worse, capillary-action-wise, than the metal wicking of the atomiser. If the cart material is too attractive for liquids it will actually suck juice out of the atomiser! What looks like just a cheap, naff cart filling is in fact a carefully chosen tradeoff between holding the juice in place and giving it up when the atomiser needs more. To put it another way, the cart is not actually a wick, it is itself a reservoir.

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
i bought a bag of poly batting from Walmart. Is that the same as what you are talking about? I just wondered because I used it once and it worked fine, but, it "frays" a lot.

Terraphon has done some good work on this forum about cart stuffing and poly batting. Have a search. :)

bri1270

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2009
Massachusetts - USA
I found the Fluval to work better than the poly fill. It's drains onto the atomizer and doesn't retain near as much liquid as the poly.

My method for re-stuffing:

First, I peel about a 1/4" layer then:

1. cut a 1/4" wide by 1 1/2" long piece

2. Garb center of piece with tweezers

3. Stuff center into cart all the way to the bottom

4. Cut ends

5. fill until the material is wet

6. insert paperclip and move the material until the liquid drains down towards the mouthpiece.

7. top off cart

8. vape

daemonjax

Jan 19, 2010
NJ
fiberglass wool insulation

Nevermind, it's a bad idea. You don't want to breathe fiberglass particles into your lungs.

Anyways...

You're going to want a material that has these properties:

1) Very Non-absorbent: It shouldn't wick the juice away from the atomizer filament.

2) Very high melting and burning point: It must survive being in close contact with the filament when it inevitably gets too hot)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread