Wick materials. Safe vs dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

toadyfatz

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2010
NC
Well like I said - it's a damn shame that MOST vapers out there are using silica, because it's so common in the crapomizers that are sold everywhere. I'll be making a switch to SS mesh now that this has all been fleshed out for me. Even if I am inhaling only a little bit, that's still more than I want. And because silicosis takes 5-15 years to develop -- well that's just as scary as cancer from analogues to me. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the medical world discovers.

Just wondering where do you get this SS mesh that you speak of? Also, is it just used in Atomizer for dripping or can it be used in clearomizer in place of the wick? Thanks for any info!

jcarabelos

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2009
Colorado
Just wondering where do you get this SS mesh that you speak of? Also, is it just used in Atomizer for dripping or can it be used in clearomizer in place of the wick? Thanks for any info!

themeshcompany.com - just referred there recently by MrKV, but there are plenty of online retailers that sell SS mesh. Traditionally, SS mesh is used for genesis style RBAs. I'm using a fatty v2 which is a dripping rba. So not really for a standard clearomizer, unless it is rebuildable and you can get it in there properly.

Last edited:

TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA

jcarabelos

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2009
Colorado
Thanks for the info...since I posted earlier I did a little searching and found the SS mesh for sale etc...Looks like I'm going to have to try one of these RBA's....Looks interesting for sure!

If you haven't tried one then now's the time! RBA's are the way to go, no questions asked. Check out the RBA forum here: Rebuildable Atomizer Systems

Bourbonman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2012
Chicago burbs
Has anyone had success using SS mesh on a ViVi Nova ? would also like to see a few pic's of installation.

110454d1340250786-vivi-nova-modders-vivi-mesh-wick.jpg

It was a pain to get running, but worked oh so good.
Much more Vivi info at http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modding-forum/303173-vivi-nova-modders.html
(including how to open up that draw)

Bourbonman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2012
Chicago burbs

l3oertjie

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
South Africa

JazzyTech

ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
California
If I had known just how long I would be reading this one thread, I think I would have gave up! :) But I am glad I didn't. You guys are a real riot; it's rare that an educational experience can be so entertaining! I must thank all of you for your awesome "due dilligence" in your attempt to find better, safer ways to vape! If I had kept notes on my thoughts and responses to your ideas this post would take up multiple pages... I kept thinking I was only a few pages from the end..for days... heh.. It's nice to read a thread where you know the adults are speaking (no flaming etc.); teamwork and generosity on a level that's sadly not seen so much anymore.
I've only been vaping a few weeks and since my father has been vaping for a few years now, he showed me how to approach the vaping world without breaking the bank :) This thread has not only saved me money, but time and a lot of frustration. The Comedy was just a nice addition!
I'm a newb and this is my first vaping set:

1 vivi nova 2.5ml, 4 vivi nova Stardust 1.6ml, 4 eGo 510 3.7V passthroughs (900mah). I'm mixing my own "joose". I prefer 100%VG over PG. I've tried a few gauges of wire (34-32) and I am very pleased with Kanthral A-1 32awg. My resistance average is 1.8-2.0 ohms with 5 winds. I've tried various cottons (batten, gauze, etc.) and I have had the best results with #1/0 square-braided wick; boiled and dried works better for me as you guys know. I've ordered Aunt Lydia's bamboo thread and can't wait to give that a spin!
Now that I've basically written a chapter on my life story of vaping, I would like to add my two-cent suggestion if I may ;)

Some of the things you guys are building is far beyond the abilities of most "newbies". I've found that using square braid has been the easiest so far. However, I wind them a bit too tightly. I found a way to get some life out of them and keep them tasting great with a quick and easy fix: Cut a piece of your braid a bit more than 3/8in and fold in in a U shape. Then slip it over your wire wick so the ends extends down past the wick. I couldn't believe how smooth this vaped! Turned my cheap wrap into a silky smooth vape. I can't get it to dry burn at all and the taste is about as good as the "cotton on top" method that some of you use. It's a bit weak on the first drag, but then strong taste and Nic. Thanks for reading all this, and I promise to keep my comments shorter in the future ;)

And again Thank you all so much for all the great tips and tricks!!!! I'm hooked! :)

Bourbonman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2012
Chicago burbs
Sweet!! Thanks!, how did you isolate the SS so it wouldn't ground out and did you use cotton inside the SS for better wicking?
No need to insulate the SS if you oxidize properly. I used no cotton on it, just a rectangle of 400 mesh, cut on a diagonal to the weave for better flexibility to curve it. It still kinked a bit but worked fine anyway. Taste and vapor was outstanding, longevity incredible, and setup was an exercise in frustration over the course of several hours. I will most likely never do it again, because it's not significantly enough better than Aunt Lydia to justify the pain in the ... the setup was. However, that is only personal opinion, and I say it not to discourage you from trying it, but more to warn you it may not be a simple setup. Then again, it may have just been a bad day for me, you may have a better day or more skill than I (not hard to do!) and it may go together like magic.

Cheers! :toast:

Bourbonman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2012
Chicago burbs
@JazzyTech

This is one of those great drama-free threads I really enjoy. Yeah, we veer off topic from to time, and some people have really weird ideas about humor (I'm guilty), and some people post when they've had to much to drink (honestly, though, the really stupid posts I make are sober), but it's been a great constructive thread. About thread. Oh, fer chrissakes, I just realized I've been talking about friggin thread. On the internet. With a bunch of dudes. For months. :blink:

/pours bourbon down the drain

:laugh: :toast:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread