Wick testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tivaliman

Apr 9, 2016
Hey guys, wassup.
This will be familiar to the Ecf veterans.

So I was watching some testing done between four materials
Japanese cotton
Original cotton
Hemp cotton and
Rayon
After 3 tests, the original cotton came in last 3 times for wicking times. Japanes cotton came first. Then the test was left overnight one end soaking in typical e-liquid and the original cotton barely even got damp!
A pubsardor video - wick testing.

mauricem00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2015
carson city nevada
interesting but the results may vary depending on the material that was being wicked. was it PG or VG or a combination of both and at what ratios? I have found that rayon works very well in my RTAs with 50/50 PG/VG and silica wicks seem to work better in my protank 2s but I guess you just need to experiment to find what works best for you in your equipment.

Reactions: Tivaliman

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Op seems to have made the Same mistake in watching that Phil did in testing.

While Both the Japanese Cotton and Rayon almost Matched in Transfer, the assumption was Cotton was absorbing better.

We do not need Wicks Fattened by Absorbing excessive e-liquid. We need wicks that preform best at e-liquid Transfer.

Both Japanese cotton and Rayon transfer e-liquid well. However Rayon does so without absorbing large quantities within the fibers.
i.e. Rayon Transfers/Moves liquids better across its surfaces. better Capillary Action.

Tivaliman

Apr 9, 2016
In that experiment rayon came second and hemp in third place. From what it looked like, I think it was 100% vg. Not entirely sure but I know it wasn't 50/50. Also the guy mentioned that the organic cotton used might me defective. Idk, I just found it interesting. Maybe someone else conducted a better experiment, there might be different results

Reactions: mauricem00
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread