Wicking issue with chinese DID clone

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckone180

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I have 2 of the clone DID, and I have issues with wicking. Hopefully I can explain the issue in short order. I will also explain what I have tried and what seems to be working vs. not working.

I have 325 and 400 mesh. I also have 31ga Kanthal. Coils are usually 4 wraps. Currently using a Zmax.

I use the cigarette paper and cotton batten methods. I have rolled mesh wicks with and without the center hole. I do not have any issues now regarding hotspots and shorts since going to the 2 methods I mentioned, but used to because the seam of the mesh used to short to the coil.

I use Gorilla juice (all VG) and Pluid (50/50).

I have found the 400 mesh seems to wick better for me, but still no where near as well as Viva Novas stock or cotton rebuilds.

Gorilla juice worked extremely well on my first tank of 400 mesh, rolled tightly and lightly covered with cotton where the coil is, but after the first tank it seems I can not go more than 2-3 pulls of about 3 seconds each before it runs dry and serious burn flavor. Coil is 1.6 ohms, 3 watt setting on the Zmax.

Pluid was the hardest to get going in the first place. I continually had issues with 325 mesh, tightly rolled and with center hole. It never seemed to saturated the wick, so I moved to 400 mesh, tightly rolled, cigarette paper method. It now seems to saturate the wick, several fires of 3-4 seconds, no burnt flavor but little VP and flavor. Coil is 1.6 ohm and 3w on Zmax. If I raise it to 4 watts or higher I quickly get burnt flavor and harsh TH.

Anyone have any ideas here? Honestly I am a heavy vaper for periods of time. I do not always vape, but when I do I like to use it over and over in a short period of time. I also do not take 10 second pulls, more like 3 seconds. Vivi Nova's always have seemed to keep up, but I really want to get the nirvana feeling other SS mesh and RBA users seem to achieve. Any help is appreciated!

grruss

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids
www.mister-e-liquid.com
Wicking can be a bear, but if you've got a short-less wick/coil assembly, the hardest part is behind you. I am going to assume you are new to genesis devices. If not, my apologies.

When it comes to genesis devices, gravity is your friend. This is the way most do it. Line the air hole in the top cap with the wick. When you're vaping, make sure the wick =the air hole) is pointed down. Hold your Zmax at or near horizontal. Either size mesh should work.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ckone180

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2012
Charlotte, NC
you running with the fill hole screw in or out?

It is in, but I have them loosened so they are not completely tightened. I can try with it removed, but I change accessories often as I like to go between flavors and did not want to have them leak everywhere. Or when tilting, didn't want to have juice leaking out.

ckone180

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Yes, I am fairly new to genesis types. I am pretty handy, however, as I repair equipment for a living. I am very well educated with mechanical and electrical devices. That part seemed to be the easiest, but this wicking thing has me stumped.

If I simply take the wick and put the bottom tip in a glass of water, it wicks up to the top very fast. Just not with juice. I can see it climbing, but it is a slow process.

Wicking can be a bear, but if you've got a short-less wick/coil assembly, the hardest part is behind you. I am going to assume you are new to genesis devices. If not, my apologies.

When it comes to genesis devices, gravity is your friend. This is the way most do it. Line the air hole in the top cap with the wick. When you're vaping, make sure the wick =the air hole) is pointed down. Hold your Zmax at or near horizontal. Either size mesh should work.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

hippieben

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2012
Sarasota, FL
Try some 270 mesh. I haven't tried it myself, but I'm considering picking some up when I get my DUD in. Riptrippers (I think) has a video raving about it. You may also want to try the double wick method (one thinner wick placed down the hole of a thicker wick). You could also try putting a piece of yarn through the center of your wick (as long as the walls of your wick are thick enough the cotton shouldn't burn).

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008
I have 2 of the clone DID, and I have issues with wicking. Hopefully I can explain the issue in short order. I will also explain what I have tried and what seems to be working vs. not working.

I have 325 and 400 mesh. I also have 31ga Kanthal. Coils are usually 4 wraps. Currently using a Zmax.

I use the cigarette paper and cotton batten methods. I have rolled mesh wicks with and without the center hole. I do not have any issues now regarding hotspots and shorts since going to the 2 methods I mentioned, but used to because the seam of the mesh used to short to the coil.

I use Gorilla Juice (all VG) and Pluid (50/50).

I have found the 400 mesh seems to wick better for me, but still no where near as well as Viva Novas stock or cotton rebuilds.

Gorilla Juice worked extremely well on my first tank of 400 mesh, rolled tightly and lightly covered with cotton where the coil is, but after the first tank it seems I can not go more than 2-3 pulls of about 3 seconds each before it runs dry and serious burn flavor. Coil is 1.6 ohms, 3 watt setting on the Zmax.

Pluid was the hardest to get going in the first place. I continually had issues with 325 mesh, tightly rolled and with center hole. It never seemed to saturated the wick, so I moved to 400 mesh, tightly rolled, cigarette paper method. It now seems to saturate the wick, several fires of 3-4 seconds, no burnt flavor but little VP and flavor. Coil is 1.6 ohm and 3w on Zmax. If I raise it to 4 watts or higher I quickly get burnt flavor and harsh TH.

Anyone have any ideas here? Honestly I am a heavy vaper for periods of time. I do not always vape, but when I do I like to use it over and over in a short period of time. I also do not take 10 second pulls, more like 3 seconds. Vivi Nova's always have seemed to keep up, but I really want to get the nirvana feeling other SS mesh and RBA users seem to achieve. Any help is appreciated!

You can find a lot of info here on SS wick.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modding-forum/330407-500-ss-mesh-14.html#post7206311

spraintz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
I hear ya. However, when I got mine it was having wicking issues straight away, pulled the fill screw and now it's perfect. I can vape at just about any angle and it eve stay laying on it's side(air hole up) 100% of the time when not in use without any leaking. Only way I can get it to leak is holding it upside down or with the air hole facing down.

BTW, I'm running 400 mesh, tight roll with small tube hole.Cotton method. I use 34g nichrome with 4/5 wrap (bout 2.2ohms) at about 8.5watts.

ckone180

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I hear ya. However, when I got mine it was having wicking issues straight away, pulled the fill screw and now it's perfect. I can vape at just about any angle and it eve stay laying on it's side(air hole up) 100% of the time when not in use without any leaking. Only way I can get it to leak is holding it upside down or with the air hole facing down.

BTW, I'm running 400 mesh, tight roll with small tube hole.Cotton method. I use 34g nichrome with 4/5 wrap (bout 2.2ohms) at about 8.5watts.

I will try that today. Hopefully it does the trick!

ckone180

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Try some 270 mesh. I haven't tried it myself, but I'm considering picking some up when I get my DUD in. Riptrippers (I think) has a video raving about it. You may also want to try the double wick method (one thinner wick placed down the hole of a thicker wick). You could also try putting a piece of yarn through the center of your wick (as long as the walls of your wick are thick enough the cotton shouldn't burn).

I have watched several of his videos, including the one on 270 wick. I plan to get some, but others have had good experiences with the ones I have to. Trying to get it to work before committing to more mesh.

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modding-forum/330407-500-ss-mesh-66.html#post7322872

nz1001

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2012
NY
i have mine set up like this:
tigtly rolled ss wick w small center opening (niddle can fit in)
snug to tight fit (twist) through the wick hole
plug the refill hole

it is my current night-stand pv. vape it side ways and upside down while lying in the bed. This setup requires idled drag (suck without supplying power) between vapes, somewhat like when we use a carto tank - air movement in chamber reduces the pressure therefore liquid gets pushed through wick, and displacing air travels throught the wick wenter into tank. for me it's been easy to get used to, and a clear tank could help a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread