Not open for further replies.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
New to building coils and just wondered what everyone's thoughts were on wicking material? I have heard both organic cotton and rayon. So far I have only used organic cotton but I would like to know opinions or experiences with those that have used rayon.

I use both organic cotton (cotton balls) and cellucotton (rayon), as the spirit moves me. They're both good; rayon actually wicks up juice a little better, and used in an RDA, can really deliver the nic hit, though I don't notice much diff in the nic hit in a kayfun, between cotton and rayon. With cotton, if it looks like it might not be quite enough wick, it probably is. With rayon, if it looks like it might be too much wick, it's probably not -- with liquid absorption, cottons swells, rayon compresses.

Try both, see what you think. I don't really notice much difference in taste between them, other than in how dry hits from each of them taste -- the "metal" dry hit, from not enough wick, taste much the same, but the kind of dry hit you get from too much wick, or the wick not wicking up the juice fast enough, rayon's is far worse, it's very chemical. The cotton kind just taste like you set your jeans on fire and then sucked on them. :D

Andria

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
I was never a big fan of cotton balls but I didn't know it til I tried KGD style pads. Then I went on to try rayon, readyxwick and hemp. I went back to KGD. Here is a great site if you are interested in trying it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TCD51A/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=G88VJGFAO6B3&coliid=I51EUZ1HLSOF0&psc=1&tag=e04ed-20
JC_link.gif

Really good review also. Good luck to you.

EJAB

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2014
North Las Vegas, Nevada,U.S.A.
I use both organic cotton (cotton balls) and cellucotton (rayon), as the spirit moves me. They're both good; rayon actually wicks up juice a little better, and used in an RDA, can really deliver the nic hit, though I don't notice much diff in the nic hit in a kayfun, between cotton and rayon. With cotton, if it looks like it might not be quite enough wick, it probably is. With rayon, if it looks like it might be too much wick, it's probably not -- with liquid absorption, cottons swells, rayon compresses.

Try both, see what you think. I don't really notice much difference in taste between them, other than in how dry hits from each of them taste -- the "metal" dry hit, from not enough wick, taste much the same, but the kind of dry hit you get from too much wick, or the wick not wicking up the juice fast enough, rayon's is far worse, it's very chemical. The cotton kind just taste like you set your jeans on fire and then sucked on them. :D

Andria

You said that "cotton" swells and "rayon" compresses? That's not true. Cotton expands more as it absorbs liquid, in comparison to rayon. Rayon does not shrink or as you have stated "compress" as ejuice is being absorbed.

Last edited:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
You said that "cotton" swells and "rayon" compresses? That's not true. Cotton expands more as it absorbs liquid, in comparison to rayon. Rayon does not shrink or as you have stated "compress" as ejuice is being absorbed.

Have you actually looked at a primed rayon wick? When you put it in, dry, what seems like plenty of wick, after priming, no longer fills the coil.

Andria

MattyTny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
New York
I've used both Sally's box rayon and kogendo cotton. Both have been working well, cotton in the RDA, rayon in the RTA.

The cotton does expand as you add liquid, hence they whole "less is more saying". Rayon on the other hand acts a little differently. It can compress, but only if you use too much. This is noted by the rayon taste. I'm not as experienced with rayon as other, but I have a decent handle on it. Been using it in the Golbin, one wick I went a little heavy and the first tank fill had the rayon taste to it, but went away. Wicks looked good after heavy use too (50mls no dry hits). Next wick I went lighter on the density, the taste went away in about 10 hits and no dry hits so far. So the density has to be right for it work well from the get go.

When you insert rayon you want to push down on the tails to see if it exposes a gap, you don't want that. If you use the correct amount the wick stays uniform and won't collapse even with high power.

I've learned a lot from the rayon thread in the wick and wire forum. Here's an example of some good help I got from the thread.

The rayon will reduce in size as its used for a few hours. The wetness and compression in the coil will cause the fibers to come together closer as the air is eliminated. But when the density is right it will be good from the start. Even though it can be fatter then thinner. The factor is the outward pressure of the wick, when its just right the pressure will remain constant..

Rayon takes some getting used to, but it's a great wick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread