Will Batteries Be Next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slighter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 9, 2009
Chicago Illinois
Yesterday Lightning Vapes sent out an email informing customers of their impending business and website name change to - WIREOPTIM. Excerpt -
"We will continue to carry many of the products you have come to know and love, however e-liquid will soon be a thing of the past, and batteries are likely to be absent as well."

I'm going to call them and hope to chat about this tomorrow - the owner is quite up on battery tech. I don't recall the details or exactly when, but I do remember some condemnation and warnings and label changes concerning 18650 bat use in mods. A year or two, three... ago? Not sure.
As I DIY most of my lquids my largest concern in the past weeks has been nicotine availability and I'm adjusting my budget for a bulk purchase for frozen storage. I think/hope wire, cotton and PG/VG and flavorings will be somewhat safer from the insane one-sided ban happy wildfire sweeping the US.
The battery comment caught me a bit off-guard, and I'm not quite flush enough atm to stock up on those at the same time. Even less flush to find and buy some lost vape duos or other LI-PO pack mods if anyone still makes them. LI-Po's are used in RC hobbies and are available on ebay and from battery supliers - might be the way to go forward if I need to break out my soldering iron and relearn to mod hardware. I hope I'm overthinking this but if this is more about money and not the "Save the Children" BS I've been listening to for a decade, they won't stop at flavors.
I'll report back if I get any thoughts from LV.
Until then any thoughts here? Is Mooch still participating on this forum? Guess I'll be re-researching longevity and storage of those cells in the coming days.
I began vaping 10 years ago this month - after smoking for 30 years - I'm 57 - haven't had a smoke since and I'm seriously f***ing ...... off. But that's for another thread.
Cheers
Mike

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I can understand their getting the word Vapes out of their name, but the battery conspiracy is pretty new on the part of a vendor. The batteries we use are power for far more devices than just vape gear. I'm not sure how that would even work. Every 18650 flashlight suddenly has to be pulled from the market? I can see battery production shifting based on need, so if every device moved from say 18650 adopted 21700 as the standard, you would see fewer 18650s made. We already see that with the problems of finding old batteries like button tops which certain mods used. But outright battery bans? That's a new one for me to see happening.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
18650's other of our larger sizes are used in the flashlight afficianado's gizmos. I really don't think they will be a problem but they will be ordered from non vaping sources.

Which in the US means the reputable supplier list we already buy from as none identify as vaping specialty battery sites.

Infernal2

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2010
The Oil Coast, AL
Which in the US means the reputable supplier list we already buy from as none identify as vaping specialty battery sites.

Exactly. I've been buying 18650 batteries from reputable battery sources that specifically highlight their use in flashlights and other tactical gear. While I can't offer any definitive proof that batteries are immune from this type of legislative overreach, I can say with confidence that many of the best battery suppliers continue to association free when it comes to e-cigs.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I refuse to worry about BATTERIES. My son is the head corporate seller for Bulbs and Batteries (he is happy new position) but like, I'm fairly certain he can hook me up with what I need.) They are actually a terrible company but that is what they sell, including repairing your cellphones and whatever.

The kid could sell a dead mule to a petting zoo. It's the perfect position for him LOL.

Anna

Electrodave

LPV
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2015
Denver, CO
www.electrostring.com
18650 flashlights are widely used by campers and search and rescue volunteers. Not to mention law enforcement. They're also used in a lot of battery packs, including for notebooks.

Even if they were used for vaping only, they are beyond the purview of the FDA. Only the CPSC (Consumer Products Safety Commission) has the power to ban consumer goods. I don't know if any of this is on their plate right now.

Of course, with mechs, you have a wide variety of alternative battery types, of varying degrees of function and safety.

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
Im gonna play devils advocate a bit.

Look what happens and how fast the hysterics blow up ( lol, pun, hehe) when anti constitutionalists decide they have to save joe public from him/herself.

If they are sucessful with the flavors, there really is no telling where it will end.

Lot of batterys are sold in power packs (closed system). Lots of flashlights come with usb chraging (closed system). See what Im getting at?

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Yeah. What do they mean by "batteries"?

eGo batteries? Closed-system rechargeable vape-batteries? Or 18650's?

Sure, we could use one of those ground breaking major developments in battery-tech to come along for all sorts of devices. New, sure! Inevitable.

But unless we're all relegated to plug-in hookah devices, it's still battery driven.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
I remember that guy that had his mech wired into a 110v/low volt dc power supply. More I think about it, the cooler it sounds. Lol.
Back in the day "pass-throughs" were a thing. We'd have a kr808d1 format ecig with a USB connector on a cord to hook to a USB power supply.

Slighter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 9, 2009
Chicago Illinois
Im gonna play devils advocate a bit.

Look what happens and how fast the hysterics blow up ( lol, pun, hehe) when anti constitutionalists decide they have to save joe public from him/herself.

If they are sucessful with the flavors, there really is no telling where it will end.

Lot of batterys are sold in power packs (closed system). Lots of flashlights come with usb chraging (closed system). See what Im getting at?

This - why I started the thread. cheers

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Zero chance unless sold thru a vape store.

Can’t ban flashlights, rechargeable power tools or Tesla cars. All generally use 18650 batteries.
Of these, only flashlights use loose 18650s. Power tools and EVs use protected, sealed packs of batteries.

The CPSC could indeed decide that loose li-ion cells are too dangerous to sell to the public, but I don't see that happening imminently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread