Status
Not open for further replies.

realsis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2014
California
I think they might be harder to find but I'm not sure they will phase them out completely. not many people are using them anymore. you might not be able to find your specific brand but I doubt they will completely be gone. I don't think in my OPINION that they will be making a popular come back but you still should be able to find a few. best wishes.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I'm so sad because I absolutely love my ibtanked tanks but its really hard to find standard cartos (35mm). I'm ready to do a mass stock update but sadly ibtanked is out of stock. I tried boge and ikenvape and neither did i like.

I doubt cartos will make a comeback, but that's just my opinion. There is in any case better gear out there so no matter what happens you will have something good to vape.

Best of luck with it :thumb:

Reactions: Baditude

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
I doubt cartos will make a comeback, but that's just my opinion. There is in any case better gear out there so no matter what happens you will have something good to vape.

Best of luck with it :thumb:

Outside of drippers and Rbas youd be hard pressed to get more flavor than a carto tank IMO.

Ive yet to see a clearo even come close......maybe at sub ohms but not all of us like hot vapor.

For that reason alone, I think there will always be a market for them.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Considering the All the new subtanks are just mini cartos crossed with a clearomizer. I'd say yes cartos will make a come back. Not to mention the biggest killer of cartos was High power vaping. With TC I got to believe they will be coming back.

Boge does have Nickel coils for TC now-
    Protovapor Ni200 Nickel 510 Cartomizers — EXCLUSIVE! | Protovapor.com

Haha, it's funny people have the time for allowing a Naughty coil to soak well, but complained about the same thing with a carto.

I think the several months that Boge quality suffered was a major setback. I was lucky that I was stocked up and breezed thru that time.

I'm willing to move to clearo tanks but I like Compact setups, not 3in long tanks with 2ml capacity, lol.

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Why not a Diver or Sofia?

Because they're not a carto.
    Why not just buy a clearo tant if that's what you want instead of changing your carto tank into a clearo tank.

The main problem with cartos is that there isn't enough profit margin. Why would a shop want to sell you a one dollar carto when they can sell you a 50 dollar clearo tank.

Last edited:

zapped

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 30, 2009
    Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
    This is the TFV4 by Smok

That looks an awful lot like a carto with the cotton wrapped around the coil. Looks like 3 short cartos actually.

tfv4.jpg

The reason why cartotanks are superior to clearotanks in terms of wicking and flavor is because of the way its made. The wicking material in a carto has a larger surface area (sometimes 5 to 6 times larger) than the inadequate wicks seen in clearotanks like the Protank and even a Nautilus.

If you dont believe me, take all of them apart and see for yourselves.

The TFV4 tank, due to its construction might be able to provide a vape thats just as good, if not better, than a cartotank.

daveid777

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 17, 2014
    Baltimore, MD
    I'm so sad because I absolutely love my ibtanked tanks but its really hard to find standard cartos (35mm). I'm ready to do a mass stock update but sadly ibtanked is out of stock. I tried boge and ikenvape and neither did i like.
    Which resistance of the Smok carts do you prefer? I have a large stash of 2 ohm and a few 3ohm standard length double punched (almost 100) that I am no longer using. Pm me if you want some/all.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Although I'll agree that vaping gear tends to recycle as stated above, I doubt that cartos will make a noticeable comeback. I used cartotanks exclusively for over two years, and probably got more people on this forum to try a cartotank than anyone else here on ECF. More and more vape shops and online stores are discontinuing cartos and cartotanks, and its because they can't make money with them. They take up valuable display and storage space where other more profitable gear can be sold.

The main problem with cartotanks IMHO is cartomizer quality control. I never cared for Boge, could put up with Smoktech, and really liked Ikenvapes. However, Ikenvapes were always sketchy in their availability, and suffered from the same inconsistancy as Boge and Smoktech with bad batches from time to time. It's something that we carto users learned to put up with. Ikenvape had been dependent upon Chinese manufacturers, and after I switched to rebuildables he was looking into making his own cartos in the USA. I haven't followed up on this.

I worked at a vape shop in 2014. I was the only salesperson there who used cartotanks, the only one who knew anything about them, and the only one who sold any. There were many newer vapers who were disappointed with the clearomizers that they were using, and were not ready to purchase a mod or rebuildable yet. Cartotanks were an ideal intermediate step up for these folks still using eGo batteries or the lower wattage regulated mods.

Cartotanks were admittedly a tough sale in a vape shop. They have a higher learning curve and take longer to set up than a clearomizer, which seems like a big deal to someone used to "fill and vape" with a clearo. It's easier if you have a cartotank tool, but I couldn't convince the store managers to stock them. We also only sold the cheaply made Smoktech polycarbonate tanks and an over-priced pyrex tank for over $50. I got our store manager to talk with OCD at IBTanked, but a deal couldn't be arranged.

Cartotanks and cartos took up a lot of display space in the vape shop, and they weren't making a lot of money on them. Management decided to go in a different direction and push higher end clearomizers and rebuildables, which were bringing in more money to our stores.

I continued to use my cartotanks, but as I had to learn how to rebuild for our customers, I began using a Kayfun RTA and a rebuildable drip atomizer. The last time I attempted to setup a cartotank, I had five bad cartos in a row. I told myself, enough is enough. I'm done. I'm rebuilding exclusively now.

I'm no longer at the mercy of some Chinese factory worker's inconsistancy. I'm totally in charge of my vape. If it sucks, I have no one to blame but myself. I don't particularly like building coils, but I'm good at it and I only have to make them every few months. I don't have to worry about carto availability or bad batches any more. Plus, I'm saving a lot of money with wire and cotton.

I still believe cartotanks are a great option for those intermediate vapers caught between clearomizers and rebuildables, but the newer high end clearos with air control and hybrid wick/coil heads (BVC) are pushing cartotanks out of the market.

Last edited:

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 26, 2013
    God's Country
    5 bad cartos in a row.
    Horrible profit margin.
    Tethered customers.

THAT is why cartos will not make a comeback.

That is also why most people tend to
    Graduate from prebuilt
    Coils to rebuildables

It's a failed business model so any companies in all industries grasp at.

Attempting to tether your customers with replaceable disposable parts in order to "keep 'em comin' back" is ridiculous.

The only reason we were tethered to big tobacco was an addiction.

oplholik

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 22, 2011
    San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
    I still use cartos and tanks along with RTA's. I got into RTA's as a way to lessen my dependency on cartos. I still like cartos and tanks, and keep a pretty good stock going on them. I make sure I have enough to last for quite awhile. Mad Vapes seems to be a good place to get them now as far as availability goes. I use both Boge's, and ST.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Attempting to tether your customers with replaceable disposable parts in order to "keep 'em comin' back" is ridiculous.
    We do live in a disposable society, thanks in part to our dependence upon Chinese-made items across the spectrum of consumable products. There will always be that segment of vaping consumers not willing to make their own coils & wicks, for whatever reasons. Unfortunately for them, their options are declining.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread