WIP - 3x 18650 battery box from china -> DNA20 mod....hopefully

Status
Not open for further replies.

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
Not really worth taking another pic, as it won't even show up, but I got my window put in, so now I can take the premask off of the display. I used some unbelievably strong double-stick tape. I cut a piece, carefully applied it to the inside of the white case, and then cut through from the outside through the cutout to remove the tape from the window part. Then I put in a piece of 10 mil PET film. Perfectly clear, recessed, and it'll keep all the pocket lint out.

So far, using this exclusively with a 0.9 ohm kayfun 3.1 clone, I'm down to about 3/4 batt, at a guess.

Should I be going higher resistance with this thing? I've been out of the world of VV/VW for too long....What's better, more wraps of 28 ga, or going up to 30 awg?
30 gauge nichrome IMO is the best wire gauge.. The ohms are a hair higher than 28ga kanthal. 28ga kanthal 5.27Ohms/ft ,,,, 30ga Nichrome 6.68Ohms/ft

Last edited:

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
I'm confused, are you saying you think my ground connection IS a cold connection? It's not great, but it's better than it looks, and it's definitely flowed in......it was a 3 stage solder, and my iron was overloaded with solder to boot, so I got some funky peaks. I gave it some hard yanks though, it's solid.

No its awesome connections :vapor:

shortyjacobs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2012
Minneapolis
Welp, nearing the end of day one, status update.

This thing is pretty nice. Spent most of the day on my kayfun 3.1 ES clone, with a 0.9 ohm 10 wrap 28 ga contact coil, pushing around 18 watts. It performed nicely, but the kayfun was driving me nuts with either dry hits or gurgling, (I go a lot from 73 degree inside to -10 outside, and kayfuns hate huge temp swings).

So I started tinkering when I got home. Made an autodripper out of an AGA-T2 using XC-116, around 1.4 ohm with, er, 8 or 9 wraps of 28ga. Nice flavor, but the wicking of the XC-116 just couldn't keep up.

Switched to an AGA-T2 with 7x7 SS rope sleeved in XC-116 and, um, I think 7 wraps of 30 awg, coming in around 2.1 ohms. Now this works pretty damn nice.....think I'll stick with it for a little while. Would like to try out dual coils on it sooner or later on my Kraken clone, but I don't know what kind of performance I'll get out of them....right now it's set up at ~0.6 ohm on my Nemy clone, and that works fine....but the DNA20 won't even fire it.

One thing's for sure - this isn't a Weekender mod for me, at least. I'm down to only a few percent battery power, (granted, I'm firing the 2 ohm coil at 6.6 volts, 20 watts, and I think the DNA uses the current atty to determine battery remaining). But that's what I expected. I easily go through 2+ NCR18650PDs in a mech mod any given day, so burning through 2 in the DNA is reasonable. I think I'd need one of those 10,000+ mAh battery packs to pull off a weekend.

bapgood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2012
Utah
You should try lower mah and higher amp rated 18650's....I'm not sure what the specs are on the batteries you are using but in general the higher mah 18650's don't perform well in higher current vaping.

I had 6000mah 65c lipo DNA mod and it would last around 4 days vaping a lot at lower wattage and probably a day and a half at higher wattage.

If you checked vdrop on those batteries under load on a mech mod I think you would be surprised.

mamu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2009
IN USA
Cool mod, shorty!! Great job!

I have this case but with dual 18650 slots, not 3 18650 slots. Haven't done anything with it yet, but thanks for the tips for working with the case.

plan #1 won't work as drawn, will it? Here's what it looks like with one reversed batt:
JVVOZWy.png

What will happen here? I have a wire going from the neg of one batt to FET1 Gate, and from the positive of the other battery to FET2 Gate, but those wires are also connected to each other.....Do both FETs fire, does neither fire? does the whole thing melt down? I really don't know much about how FETs work.

I had breadboarded this a while back when I was tinkering with reverse polarity, and yes plan #1 works (I also used a fuse just prior to each FET).

One common fuse/FET when using dual parallel batts does not protect the batts when one is inserted backwards, but does protect the DNA.

With a fuse/FET combo wired to each batt, when one batt is inserted backwards and the other inserted correctly, the fuse of the batt that is inserted backwards trips and gets hot hot hot to the touch, but the entire circuit, including the batts, the FETs, and the DNA are protected.

Voltage drop difference with and without the fuse/FET combo on each batt was minimal - ranged from 0.03v (higher input voltage) to 0.06v (lower input voltage).

Both batts inserted correctly...
fet-test3.jpg

Both batts inserted backwards... both red LEDs are lit indicating both batts are inserted backwards...
fet-test4.jpg

One batt inserted backwards, the other batt inserted correctly...red LED is lit indicating which batt is inserted backwards... I had left it this way for about 3' (lol no I didn't press the fire button for 3' - only a couple of times - and to take this pic - to see how the DNA would handle firing when one batt is reversed), then pulled the batts. Then inserted both correctly and no damage done.
fet-test5.jpg

There's a third option too....go with my original idea, and put in hot springs for both batts. In the event of one batt installed backwards, the hot spring collapses and all is well....
HeliX hot spring - Avid Vaper

Using a hot spring is a great idea. I wish it came with a base though.

Did you use this hot spring in your mod? Did you test it to see how fast it collapses? Does the DNA still work or did it get fried?

bapgood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2012
Utah
Great info Mamu!!!

Luckily I have been fortunate enough not reverse a battery on a DNA, but if memory serves from talking to Brandon....A brief hit usually takes out a component used for the battery display, so I believe the screen still works but the battery level does not. I believe extended RP takes out the whole board.

shortyjacobs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2012
Minneapolis
Wow, awesome info mamu. I didn't have the patience, time, or guts to breadboard it, (only have one dna20, didn't want to risk frying it I'm an experiment). I ended up not using a protection circuit, which I'm still a bit iffy on. No hot springs either, but with the helix hot springs it'd be an easy modification to this mod. The hot springs wouldn't prevent DNA damage, but would stop a battery meltdown if only one batt was reversed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread