Wire for low watt TC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
I have just received iLeaf Pico with Melo 3 tank - overpaid $11 for the tank in hope to test TC and then through the tank away. Was disappointed - both coils for Melo are not for TC...

I chose Pico for small size, so I'd buy it anyway, but why not to try TC?

So, my question:
I definitely do not want to go to really high wattage, use as little as possible in TC. I would make coils for Kayfun/Taifun/Subtank. As I understand the material of choice now is SS 316L. But what gauge? Is 28 OK? For lower wattage should I go up to 1 ohm (it looks like a lot of wraps needed) or something like 0.5 ohm is good enough?
Thanks.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
All I know about SS and TC is it seems to be a PITA. If you really want to try TC get some 26awg Ti from Temco. Wrap a 3mm 6 wrap spaced coil it will be about .3ohms After all my tries with TC Ti is the best for me. Don't know what kind of mod you are using or if it has adjustable TCR or a Ti setting if it does then try the Ti setting if all it has is NI then you are still ok. Set it for about 290F and the Ti will work just fine. The Temco Ti is excellent easy to work with and lasts a long time. Ti to me has the best flavor of your juice. I have read too many post of people who try the SS and they seem to have nothing but problems getting it to work correctly I've never tried it, I was but after reading all the posts I decided against it. Here is a good thread if you have any questions.TC beyond Ni200: Nickel Purity, Dicodes; Ti, SS, Resistherm NiFe30; Coefficient of Resistance

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
Then you should be fine with Ti. Generally on my VTCmini and my RX200 I run them at 470F 30w in Ti mode those are Joyetech boards. On my SX's I run them at the correct temp between 415 and 420F. With an Eleaf you will have to experiment. After you get yours built start out at about 420 if you don't get much vapor then start increasing till you do. I'm not familiar with how those boards work but I know the Jtech at 480 I get about the same vape as 415 on my YiHi's. The YiHi is pretty accurate the only eleaf I have is the Istick TC40 and it doesn't have Ti mode just Ni but better to start out low and work your way up. You should be able to leave it on 30w and it should regulate. The Kanger Subtank mini works very good with TC it's all I use I have 14 of them. All I use is Ti. I've tried several brands and Temco after they finally came out with it has been the best by far. Don't fall for those expensive brands like Spider Silk.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
Any way that is how I do it Flaming Tutu told me to come over here to help you out. If you haven't done TC it's all I do but some don't care for it. I really like always getting the same vape and like I said Ti for me brings the flavor of the juice through the best. Read some of the precautions. I never dry burn it and when it is time to rewick I just pull the old wick out and wash the coil still attached with hot tap water and a denture brush. I'm getting about 3 weeks between rewicking and close to 3 months befor I replace the coil. If you want to talk more just PM me or I'm on the Older Folks and vaping back and front porch.

sucram

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2015
lower ohm is a warmer vape with longer ramp up

if you prefer a cooler vape on lower temp/watts aim for 1ohm

Its similar to building kanthal etc except everything shifts lower ohm by default, so if you like higher ohm on vw/vv you will prob prefer higher ohm on tc.

this is for SS, I havent bothered with Ti.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Also SS can be used in power mode pretty well I've heard.
Not a flame war, but why do you like Ti best? I've heard numerous others say they liked SS better with TC?
I'm just now getting into the realm of TC and have the Pico as well, so I'm trying to learn on the fly!
Thanks in advance.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I wanted to give good advice and help a fellow member............But all this FDA mess has caused my mind to Strip a Gear......
I cannot even think straight right now.

Please forgive. I will get the tool kit out and work in repairs ASAP.:oops:

ETA: Lower wattage - Thinner wire and higher ohms. ;)

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I wanted to give good advice and help a fellow member............But all this FDA mess has caused my mind to Strip a Gear......

ETA: Lower wattage - Thinner wire, quicker response. ;)

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas

ETA: Lower wattage - Thinner wire and higher ohms. ;)

I've been hearing it for years, I don't let it get me wound up. It's going to be what it's going to be.

Eitje

Sep 2, 2015
Then you should be fine with Ti. Generally on my VTCmini and my RX200 I run them at 470F 30w in Ti mode those are Joyetech boards. On my SX's I run them at the correct temp between 415 and 420F. With an Eleaf you will have to experiment. After you get yours built start out at about 420 if you don't get much vapor then start increasing till you do. I'm not familiar with how those boards work but I know the Jtech at 480 I get about the same vape as 415 on my YiHi's. The YiHi is pretty accurate the only eleaf I have is the Istick TC40 and it doesn't have Ti mode just Ni but better to start out low and work your way up. You should be able to leave it on 30w and it should regulate. The Kanger Subtank mini works very good with TC it's all I use I have 14 of them. All I use is Ti. I've tried several brands and Temco after they finally came out with it has been the best by far. Don't fall for those expensive brands like Spider Silk.
Just out of curiosity... What makes you think the yihi is more accurate temp wise?
Did you measure it?

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
I have just received iLeaf Pico with Melo 3 tank - overpaid $11 for the tank in hope to test TC and then through the tank away. Was disappointed - both coils for Melo are not for TC...

So, my question:
I definitely do not want to go to really high wattage, use as little as possible in TC. I would make coils for Kayfun/Taifun/Subtank. As I understand the material of choice now is SS 316L. But what gauge? Is 28 OK? For lower wattage should I go up to 1 ohm (it looks like a lot of wraps needed) or something like 0.5 ohm is good enough?
Thanks.

1) #14 Machinist Screw (especially with Ni200), keeps the uniform and spaced right for TC, TC works best with spaced coils, contact microcoils and such throws the TC readings off.
2) I have 2 Subtank Plus (1 ver1 deck, 1 ver2 deck), 1 with 28awg (ver1 deck) Ni200, 12wrap on the #14, about 0.2ish, 450F, about 30-40ish watts, 2nd with 28awg Ti1 (ver2 deck) about 8wraps on the #14, between 0.4 to 0.5ohms, again about 30-40ish watts, but ranges between 390F to 440F (tobacco flavor)

Mine I run on a Kbox 70watt, Evic VTC, or Kbox200watt, thus the ranges of settings I use, Ni200 coil is read most accurate by all 3 mods and runs the best, with the best flavor, but that is my opinion, haven't even begun delving into SS316 yet myself, but hopefully at least a road path to see, again you have to tweak with settings and coil types to find what you like. Going to bounce between TC and regular power mode, then SS316 makes more sense.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada

So, my question:
Thanks.

What wattage do you want to set up for AT?

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
Thanks a lot to everybody. Good info. Will try TC.

What wattage do you want to set up for AT?

And this is a tough part. I vape at 12-15W, sometimes go to 20-25W when I need a fast (a few draws) nicotine fix. I tried 0.5 ohm Subtank coils at 30W, hated it. Yesterday I tried 0.3 ohm Melo 3 coil at 30 and 60 W, hated it even more. Popping sounds, hot tank, hot mod, vape is harsher but not more satisfying... So, I'll try to build TC coil close to 1 ohm (I believe it is upper limit for TC mode). As I see there is no consensus on wire material, so I just use coil calculator to find what is best in resistance for me. Building single coil, 3 mm, 28 AVG, 1 ohm I need 73 (!) wraps of Ni wire, so no nickel; 14 wraps for Ti and 9 wraps for SS 316L. 9 wraps sounds much better than 14, so I'll try SS coils.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
Well to answer a few questions. #1 I think the YiHi is the most accurate board there is but I am a YiHi fanboy. I know that at 470-490F it will singe cotton 420 should e just right. I get the same vape at 470-490 with a Jtech board that I do with YiHi at 420. Also some of my fellow YiHi fanboys gave me the info that if you vape YiHi at 420 you have to go to like 490 with a Jtech board because I was wondering about the anemic vape I would get with my VTC at 420. #2 tastes is, forgive me I'm old and can't think of the word, but it is in the eye of the beholder. For me Ti works so well I just never tried SS. I'm happy and comfortable with Ti why change. I know several people who have changed over and love SS I just never had a reason to. I know others who have tried SS and said Ti is the way to go another thing that is up to the person. I'm sitting here with 6 box mods 4 YiHi 2Jtech all with Kanger STM with the exact same build all tasting great. Since Temco came out with the Ti I have become a fanboy of that too. Used to order from the UK and Germany but this stuff is way cleaner and actual 26awg. Plus it cleans up great.
Yeah this FDA thing has me worried. I'm pretty well stocked up and have a good 10 years of stuff. Might get a couple more mods. The new SXQ should be out soon but I get as good a vape from the Jtech mods and the RX200S is coming out for 1/5 the price. I just don't like tying up 6 batteries per mod. My VTCmini works great and it is a pleasure to change the battery on. They fixed the things I didn't like on the RX so I'm thinking if they have sales on the SXML I might get acouple more. I screwed up and a place had them for $100 and I only got 1. I have no use for anything above 50w never go that high. Well this is getting long will stop for now. I'sign off with eph the FDA.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
Thanks a lot to everybody. Good info. Will try TC.

And this is a tough part. I vape at 12-15W, sometimes go to 20-25W when I need a fast (a few draws) nicotine fix. I tried 0.5 ohm Subtank coils at 30W, hated it. Yesterday I tried 0.3 ohm Melo 3 coil at 30 and 60 W, hated it even more. Popping sounds, hot tank, hot mod, vape is harsher but not more satisfying... So, I'll try to build TC coil close to 1 ohm (I believe it is upper limit for TC mode). As I see there is no consensus on wire material, so I just use coil calculator to find what is best in resistance for me. Building single coil, 3 mm, 28 AVG, 1 ohm I need 73 (!) wraps of Ni wire, so no nickel; 14 wraps for Ti and 9 wraps for SS 316L. 9 wraps sounds much better than 14, so I'll try SS coils.
I think that Eleaf works similarly to the DNA in which even if you set it to 200w all you get is a faster ramp up and then it tries to regulate to what it need to maintain temp so you might have it set to 200 but it is only using 30.

rice721

1.21 GigaWatts!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2016
Shanghai
from my limited experience with SS wires and from my relatively better experience with various gauges, I think anything thinner than 26 gauge should be good for low wattage vaping. With 26 gauge dual coil sub ohm 0.3~0.5 range I find myself vaping those setups at around 30-35, which is what my setup was for the Pico paired with a goblin mini v2.

SS was actually pretty easy to build for TC. I didn't do spaced, just did regular 24 gauge dual contact coils, 7-8 wraps with a 3mm IAD. I actually found SS to be easier to manipulate than kanthal bc it was less springy also you can dry burn SS to remove impurities after installation and dry burn to remove gunk when changing wick. But maybe it was also b/c I was working with a 24 gauge which is pretty thick and doesn't break off easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread