The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Wire zapper

Discussion in 'The GG' started by FogNL, Apr 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. FogNL

FogNL Senior Member ECF Veteran

Nov 25, 2013
    Amsterdam
    Hi GG friends,

Where else could I get a better advise on a wire zapper than here in the GG community?.. :)

There's not much choice in wire welders. I'm looking at the TSAF VRD and the Joyner V2, both available from Guru. There is not a lot of difference in price and features so I which one should I choose??

Are there other zappers I should consider?

Thanks a lot for any help or insight!

2. imeothanasis

imeothanasis Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Feb 13, 2009
    Athens, Hellas
    tsaf was the first wire welder ever made and to my opinion its the best fog because its creator keeps it updated always

3. FogNL

Nov 25, 2013
    Amsterdam
    Thank you Imeo!

4. LongDraw

LongDraw Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 3, 2012
    Suburbs, IL
    I have had the TSAF + for a while now and it is great. I saw the updated TSAF on esmoke and would like to pick it up, the previous version is still going strong. Would be nice to have the ohm reader for the wire without having to make a build.

5. dutch onsea

dutch onsea Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    gent/Belgium
    Fog Mevsmods in the UK verkoopt de zapper. Goedkoper en sneller bij jou dan de andere. Keuze aan jou

6. ZeroOhms

ZeroOhms Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 9, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA, USA
    I have updated version and it is pretty damn nice. I actually use the resistance reader lot more than I expected to. It really makes cutting resistance wire into exact resistance you want to. And of course, wire welder works flawlessly. A bit pricey but gotta pay for the best.

7. Scott_Simpson

Scott_Simpson Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 7, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I've got the Spotty v1, which is a dandy little wire welder, but I've got a question about wire welders in general: how do you make a successful join using Kanthal for the R and .999 Silver for the NR? I can make good Kanthal/Nickel joins 'til the cows come home, but making Kanthal/Silver joins has been a disaster! I typically use (or try to use!) 30 gauge Kanthal A-1 and 30 gauge .999 dead-soft Silver. I assume I need to use lower voltages than when I'm using Nickel for the NR wire, but I can't seem to "dial in" the right settings. Either the joins don't work at all, or else they are very weak and break while I'm winding the coil ...

8. D Stanley Querfurth

D Stanley Querfurth Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    Hannover, Germany
    hi,

i know you all talking about the tsaf, but i got a Joyner V2 from esmoke and i have to tell you it works very easy and well .
    You can measure the ohm by just using a switch.
    i find it very easy to zap any wire i want....
    Its made in Greece !
    Here is a Video about it:

Stan

9. dutch onsea

dutch onsea Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    gent/Belgium
    Scott, much easier to wind your coil, cut the legs short and then join the wires (weld them)

10. imeothanasis

imeothanasis Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Feb 13, 2009
    Athens, Hellas
    joiner is one more great welder, I forgot that. Its made by Nikos that is a great guy too. Thanks Stan:)

11. Bishopheals

Bishopheals Reviewer / Blogger Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Staten Island
    I'm suppose to receive the Joyner v2 for review. See how it withstands my legendary coils to the test.

12. ZeroOhms

Jan 9, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA, USA
    I use this method for micro coils. Much easier to coil first and join them after. Only tricky part is hard to grab the R wire if the legs are very short.

13. ZeroOhms

Jan 9, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA, USA
    Not particularly with Silver but I have tried one method that creates a rock solid join. If I am having problem joining a pair, I take a pryer and crimp down the end of wires to create a flat surface area. It is tricky to weld them flush on the flat area but when they are welded, it is very strong. I only had to do this few times with a set of coils refusing to weld properly.

14. LongDraw

LongDraw Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 3, 2012
    Suburbs, IL

Never thought of that, need to weld some up this weekend and think I will try this out. Figure worth the extra time for a stronger connection. It doesn't happen often anymore, but would be nice to not worry about the connect breaking if to much tension is put on the weld.

15. FogNL

Nov 25, 2013
    Amsterdam
    I received my Tsaf VRD yesterday. I must say it looks & feels much, much better in the flesh than the pics on the ESG site suggest.
    Very well build with excellent components. Especially the inside clearly shows what a high quality product the Tsaf is.

Thank you for your advise Imeo!

Sent from Tapatalk for iPhone

16. hobbes4

hobbes4 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 23, 2009
    I know this thread is over a year old but didn't want to start a new one just to ask a simple question. Does anybody know where I can purchase the Joyner V2?

Thanks in advance.

17. upsetter21

upsetter21 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Alameda, CA
    I've been very happy with my Spotty V1. It's very easy to use and very consistent. I got it from Helex on Vaporwall, and it involved quite a bit of waiting, although well worth it. Not sure if they are still producing, but it may be worth asking.

18. hobbes4

hobbes4 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 23, 2009
    Thanks, i appreciate you responding. Luckily i already acquired a Joyner V2 from a member here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.