Wire zapper

Status
Not open for further replies.

FogNL

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2013
Amsterdam
Hi GG friends,

Where else could I get a better advise on a wire zapper than here in the GG community?.. :)

There's not much choice in wire welders. I'm looking at the TSAF VRD and the Joyner V2, both available from Guru. There is not a lot of difference in price and features so I which one should I choose??

Are there other zappers I should consider?

Thanks a lot for any help or insight!

ZeroOhms

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Los Angeles, CA, USA
I have had the TSAF + for a while now and it is great. I saw the updated TSAF on esmoke and would like to pick it up, the previous version is still going strong. Would be nice to have the ohm reader for the wire without having to make a build.

I have updated version and it is pretty damn nice. I actually use the resistance reader lot more than I expected to. It really makes cutting resistance wire into exact resistance you want to. And of course, wire welder works flawlessly. A bit pricey but gotta pay for the best.

Scott_Simpson

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2012
Fort Wayne, IN
I've got the Spotty v1, which is a dandy little wire welder, but I've got a question about wire welders in general: how do you make a successful join using Kanthal for the R and .999 Silver for the NR? I can make good Kanthal/Nickel joins 'til the cows come home, but making Kanthal/Silver joins has been a disaster! I typically use (or try to use!) 30 gauge Kanthal A-1 and 30 gauge .999 dead-soft Silver. I assume I need to use lower voltages than when I'm using Nickel for the NR wire, but I can't seem to "dial in" the right settings. Either the joins don't work at all, or else they are very weak and break while I'm winding the coil ...

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
joiner is one more great welder, I forgot that. Its made by Nikos that is a great guy too. Thanks Stan:)
hi,

i know you all talking about the tsaf, but i got a Joyner V2 from esmoke and i have to tell you it works very easy and well .
You can measure the ohm by just using a switch.
i find it very easy to zap any wire i want....
Its made in Greece !
Here is a Video about it:

Stan

ZeroOhms

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Los Angeles, CA, USA
I've got the Spotty v1, which is a dandy little wire welder, but I've got a question about wire welders in general: how do you make a successful join using Kanthal for the R and .999 Silver for the NR? I can make good Kanthal/Nickel joins 'til the cows come home, but making Kanthal/Silver joins has been a disaster! I typically use (or try to use!) 30 gauge Kanthal A-1 and 30 gauge .999 dead-soft Silver. I assume I need to use lower voltages than when I'm using Nickel for the NR wire, but I can't seem to "dial in" the right settings. Either the joins don't work at all, or else they are very weak and break while I'm winding the coil ...

Not particularly with Silver but I have tried one method that creates a rock solid join. If I am having problem joining a pair, I take a pryer and crimp down the end of wires to create a flat surface area. It is tricky to weld them flush on the flat area but when they are welded, it is very strong. I only had to do this few times with a set of coils refusing to weld properly.

LongDraw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2012
Suburbs, IL
Not particularly with Silver but I have tried one method that creates a rock solid join. If I am having problem joining a pair, I take a pryer and crimp down the end of wires to create a flat surface area. It is tricky to weld them flush on the flat area but when they are welded, it is very strong. I only had to do this few times with a set of coils refusing to weld properly.

Never thought of that, need to weld some up this weekend and think I will try this out. Figure worth the extra time for a stronger connection. It doesn't happen often anymore, but would be nice to not worry about the connect breaking if to much tension is put on the weld.

hobbes4

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2009
I've been very happy with my Spotty V1. It's very easy to use and very consistent. I got it from Helex on Vaporwall, and it involved quite a bit of waiting, although well worth it. Not sure if they are still producing, but it may be worth asking.

Thanks, i appreciate you responding. Luckily i already acquired a Joyner V2 from a member here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread