jamie

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2008
USA
New Questions About Safety of E-Cigarettes|ABC 7 News

Owners of this Smoking Everywhere franchise at Tysons Corner bailed on interview, so with hidden camera rolling we get the sales pitch.

ABC 7 News - FDA Statement on Electronic Cigarettes

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has reviewed several electronic cigarettes, cigars, and pipes, and refused these products at the United States border. The agency has acted because these products offered for import appear to require FDA approval to be legally marketed in the U.S and have not been reviewed by the agency.

These products consist of devices that turn nicotine and other chemicals into a vapor to be inhaled by the user. They are typically designed to look like conventional cigarettes, cigars, and pipes, and to be used the same way.

The FDA is concerned about the potential for addiction to and abuse of these products. They may also be perceived as safer alternatives to conventional tobacco use and possibly initiate nicotine use among those who have never smoked, or among former smokers. The agency is also concerned that this could lead to an increase in the use of conventional tobacco products by young people, with well-known adverse health consequences.

As of March 1, 2009, the FDA has refused 17 shipments of various brands of these "electronic" cigarettes, cigars, and pipes, and their components. The agency will continue to evaluate these products on a case-by-case basis.

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
Interesting how one kiosk sells it one way and another sells it another. This brings up a topic for the association to conquer and that is the responsibility of the supplier to the reseller for proper education on marketing/selling standards and techniques.

Also interesting how after how many years of cigarettes and testing done on those "I'm not sure we have any data that tell us what happens with chronic inhalation of nicotine". Really? Why is that?

Also interesting how Oviedo "Likes smoking but knows it is bad for him". Nice to hear others say that out loud :)

Chevron07

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2009
This is the funniest part:

The agency is also concerned that this could lead to an increase in the use of conventional tobacco products by young people, with well-known adverse health consequences.

So e-cigs should not be legal because they are a gateway drug to the legal cig.

edit: Watched the video...(paraphrasing)"e-cigs don't have the cancer causing CO2, carcinogens, or thousands of other chemicals, but they have been found to containPropylene Glycolwhich could be an irritant.

Last edited:

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
This is the funniest part:

So e-cigs should not be legal because they are a gateway drug to the legal cig.

edit: Watched the video...(paraphrasing)"e-cigs don't have the cancer causing CO2, carcinogens, or thousands of other chemicals, but they have been found to containPropylene Glycolwhich could be an irritant.

I think the argument against the ecig might just be falling apart. Logic simply does not allow for the connection to be made.

On one hand you have a product that has hundreds, if not thousands of chemicals that are irritants or carcinogens and the other hand you have a product that has one, maybe ten (depending on the liquid). Let's ban the one with less. It seems rational. [/sarcasm]

xflip227x

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2009
I think the argument against the ecig might just be falling apart. Logic simply does not allow for the connection to be made.

On one hand you have a product that has hundreds, if not thousands of chemicals that are irritants or carcinogens and the other hand you have a product that has one, maybe ten (depending on the liquid). Let's ban the one with less. It seems rational. [/sarcasm]

My thoughts EXACTLY! I was talking to my gf and my father (both e-cig users). Because of the lobby for tobacco products and the large amount of money invested in tobacco products (which are factually proven to cause numerous illnesses), true rationality seems to fall through the cracks!

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA

Vapor Pete

The Vapor Pope
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2009
Rochester, NY
Yeah... and the Medical fields comments of idiocy continue! That doctor in the interview should have is license BANNED! All he could come up with as a con for e-cigs is that it contains Proylene Glycol ? No sh*t! No ones hiding that fact! But hold the press: It may, just may... be an irritant. Well for Christs sake, we dont want to give cigarette smokers an alternative that may irritate their lungs, that would be down and out stupidity!!!!

Last time I checked, tobacco turns your lungs BLACK indicating that its an irritant!

Lacey is right... I think if enough doctors go on record with that kind of backward thinking, which sounds absolutly uneducated when actually spoken by them, it may be just what the e-smoking community needs to push this through! Im so sick of their lack of common sense I could just stab myself in ears with dull pencils. Although that may irritate my ear drums... Im not sure... lets do some research on that, in the mean time, ban pencils.

-VP

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
Lacey, immediately go read the article at http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/e-cigarette-news/10892-alternative-nicotine-delivery-harm-reduction-strategy.html.

You're plenty smart enough to understand it and the ramifications. It's a roadmap for us -- and we can't get to there from here. We need a new starting point. Post your thoughts on that extremely important thread after you read the article. Cheers and happy vaping.

THANK YOU! Read it once. Digesting. Will read again and then provide thoughts.

Eclectic_Current

Mar 30, 2009
Montreal
The article (link) posted by Tropical Bob dates from the years '95-'97 and regulations might have changed but this interesting statement is found in the 5.th to last paragraph ... (bold emphasis is mine):

"... Whereas tobacco companies can market new or changed nicotine delivery products with minimal constraints, pharmaceutical companies can only market their nicotine products after years of evaluation, necessary approvals, and with prescribed limits on the marketing of the products. ..."

If this (in bold) is still true, then maybe the quickest path to legal access to eCigs is to actively lobby and persuade some tobacco company to be first out of the gate with unconstrained Alternative Nicotine Delivery in the form of eCigs. What's the FDA or Health Canada going to say to this tobacco company when they are already selling the obviously much more dangerous analogs cigs ?

I know that sounds a little crazy but Govs are not going to slap sin taxes eCigs so these should be cheaper the exorbitantly priced analog cigs. While it might seem that such a tobacco company is competing with itself or undermining its own sales, an argument might be made that by offering eCigs to its clients, such company would in effect be shielding itself from increasing numbers of liability claims associated with analog cigs usage. Lawsuit claimants would no longer be able to argue that their nicotine addiction forced them to smoke analogs if eCigs are readily available. The available of eCigs would act as a liability shield maybe ...

Just thinking out loud here ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread