The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Wood filament

Discussion in 'Wood Craft' started by exnihilo, Nov 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. exnihilo

exnihilo Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    I 3d printed a stand using wood filament. Would I be able to post that here to share? I also did some of my epipes in the same stuff. I used to hand make them using wood blanks, but this is much easier!

Tapa-shutup

2. Rickajho

Rickajho ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 23, 2011
    Boston MA
    I don't see why not! You have me curious as all hell to see how that works as a finished item..

3. exnihilo

Jan 9, 2013
    Awesome. I'm at work, but as soon as I get home i'll upload some examples for the folks here :) .

For what it's worth, it worked very well! To have the design I was starting at forever creating it come to fruition was beyond awesome!

Tapa-shutup

4. Rickajho

Apr 23, 2011
    Boston MA
    Wanna see! Wanna see!

5. Norrin

Norrin Super Member

Aug 29, 2014
    Shetland
    :pop: Got my seat now where's the pics?

6. exnihilo

Jan 9, 2013
    Sorry guys, have been busy! Update: see below.

Tapa-shutup

7. exnihilo

Jan 9, 2013
    Don't know if this worked. Tapatalk is being a pain! Upgraded tapatalk and voila! See below :) .

Tapa-shutup

8. exnihilo

Jan 9, 2013
  9. asdaq

asdaq Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Egads, that looks like a $700 item from Shapeways! How big are the smaller holes?

10. exnihilo

Jan 9, 2013
    Lol, thanks! The small holes at the bottom are perfectly sized to hold drip tips. It's about 200mm x 150mm, or the size of my print bed. The back holes well hold 22mm devices. I can answer more specific question once home. I will say that just about anyone in this section would be able to run and maintain a printer. The hardest part is designing the parts, but for some it may be the opposite. :)

Tapa-shutup

11. exnihilo

Jan 9, 2013
    Uno mas:

20141110_173911-1.jpg

Here's two of my Zpipes. I turned them so the "grain" shows a bit better. You really have to get the shadows oriented like this to see the lines/layers; easily. I haven't actually started the finishing process on these, but all signs point to: good.

*Forum mods, not trying to show these for selling purposes :)

cg

12. Rickajho

Apr 23, 2011
    Boston MA
    Egads, that looks like $700 worth of 3d material!

About how long did that take to print out?

I'm not quite understanding the wood filament material. In pictures it doesn't look all that different from other 3d material. Does it have a different feel/texture?

13. Rickajho

Apr 23, 2011
    Boston MA
    Ok, that shows a lot better what is going on with the materiel. That's great!

14. exnihilo

Jan 9, 2013
    Yessir, thanks! If you'd like a different angle, or have any questions, feel free to ask. I'm not an expert, but I've piled a lot of info and run time into a short amount of time. I got this thing early September and have 453 running hours on it, lol. That's over 2.5 weeks solid.

Internet's down at the moment, but as soon as it's up I can add more pics, etc...

Tapa-shutup

15. exnihilo

Jan 9, 2013
    Sorry, Rick, didn't actually see your other post. The stand took about 12 hours. The layer height was .2 mm, with a 10% fill.

It does in fact feel grittier. Not in a bad way, but different than ABS and PLA. There's another filament maker out there who's wood filament well actually chance darkness/color and band if you vary the temp while printing. That stuff more expensive though.

For what it's worth the roll was $40/kg and I can get four out of one. The real cost is time. Electricity isn't that much since I don't have to heat the bed that high (or at all, really) and the printing temp is lower than ABS on the extruder. :)

Tapa-shutup

16. Norrin

Norrin Super Member

Aug 29, 2014
    Shetland
    Looks really good, I really want a printer, but will wait as the prices are bound to drop soon as more people start to get them. Nice design for the stand.
    Do you have to do much after printing to get a good finish?

17. exnihilo

Jan 9, 2013
    Thanks Norrin! Finishing, not typically. I spend a few minutes with a knife removing strays and random bumps, and cleaning off the raft and support material. The wood stuff can be sanded, and takes it pretty well, if necessary. It can also be stained or sealed.

Tapa-shutup

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.