The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Wood veneer on a Chuck (With Pics)

Discussion in 'Cosmetic Mods' started by tonypilot7, Sep 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. tonypilot7

tonypilot7 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Covering the cone could get tricky because as you apply it, the angle of the grain will change. You might be able to do it it with 2 pieces of veneer.Just apply one piece at a time from the center of the piece out towards the edge. then cut it so its straight. then apply the second piece and cut it to fit the first. The seams would show a lot more because of the way the grain is meeting at an angle but it could look kinda cool that way.

2. jambandphan03

jambandphan03 Super Member ECF Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    OR
    Do you have any tips on heating it? I plan to use a standard clothing iron, which is kinda big, so any useful info about the heating process would be appreciated.

3. Harleymedic53

Harleymedic53 Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 4, 2010
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    I had to stick my wood pieces in the oven to melt the glue. And then slap them on as quick as i culd

4. tonypilot7

Jun 5, 2009
    Portland, OR
    I would hold the iron upside down and apply the parts to it. That way the iron will be stable and you don't have to worry about dropping it on your foot.

5. jambandphan03

Jan 26, 2010
    OR
    Thanks for the tips... we'll see how it goes when my supplies show up.

6. Para

Para Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 15, 2010
    Texas
    Do a search on this forum.....about two weeks ago a member applied veneer to his tube mod and put a hand rubbed finish on it. It looked fantastic and he gave a short tutorial on how to apply it

7. jambandphan03

Jan 26, 2010
    OR
    Well, I've been busy while my internet was down yesterday... I really like working with the wood veneer, and found the learning curve to be fairly short. The light colored one is Birch, had trouble with the seam showing on that one, but after some practice, I think I know how to avoid that next time. The med color is Cherry, and the dark color is Walnut. I still have not made one with the red oak that I have seen other's already using, but after this weekend you can bet I will. I am using Minwax PolyShades Stain and Polyurethan in 1. Pecan color. I still had to stain, sand, stain, sand and then stain twice to get the finish I was looking for, but only had to buy one can. I'm impressed with how nice these came out considering I just started this 2 days ago. I spent the most time working on the darker Walnut Riva, Started the Cherry last night, so I need to put more stain on it, and decided to keep the Birch in the rougher stage, since the seam is bad. I might just redo the Birch one...
    DSCN4325.jpg

Attached Files:

8. WillyB

WillyB Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 21, 2009
    USA
    Very nice. Any seam tips?

9. capecodjim

capecodjim Super Member ECF Veteran

Sep 28, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Hmmmmm I wonder if my plastic battery boxes would melt from the heat needed to apply the veneer... lol... what would I have then? A Poak? Part Puck and part oak....

Looks great! Thanks for the pics!

10. jambandphan03

Jan 26, 2010
    OR
    for the seam, I figured out that if you over lap the seam by a couple of mm then sand it down, it works great. I tried >< butting the seam on the Birch one, and it was no good, a gap formed and it looks bad. This veneer is great to work with, and the cone was surprisingly easy to cover. I just made the template larger than the cone and trimmed the ends down after I wrapped it.

11. WillyB

WillyB Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 21, 2009
    USA
    Cool! Thanks for the tip.

12. tonypilot7

Jun 5, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Ha! The Poak.. Love it!

13. wheelofdelight

wheelofdelight Full Member Verified Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Ft Scott, Kansas
    I think this is a positively fabulous concept witht he warm concept of nature combined with my technology urge being spoiled at the same time hehehe! awesome job!

14. Weekend_warrior1999

Weekend_warrior1999 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Nov 7, 2010
    Sullivan, Indiana
    "Hey you woodchucks! Stop chuckin my wood!" lol

15. Gummy Bear

Gummy Bear Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 10, 2010
    orlando fl
    Overlap a bit and with an exacto knife and a straight edge cut through both layers, then lift up the end and fish out the small piece then press it all together. Even if you get off a bit the two parts will line up because they were cut together.

Dang woodchucks.

16. boringdays

boringdays Senior Member ECF Veteran

Dec 28, 2010
    Detroit
    This is prob a stupid question, but I've been looking for something to do with my box mods (cheap plastic). This wouldn't work on those would it?

17. roadkillstewie

roadkillstewie Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 2, 2012
    Spring
    Could in theory, you're just gluing veneer to the surface... you'd want to find something to remove the 'oil' from the surface of the plastic and maybe rough sand it a bit the make it a bit easier for the adhesive to grab.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.