Worst E-cig Story Yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

jburns

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2009
North Carolina
It doesn't get much worse than this!

"Fifty-One" e-cigarette will ensure you have no friends even after you quit smoking

We've seen e-cigarettes before, and no one was really surprised to hear that inhaling liquid nicotine might not be the safest way to kick the habit. Fifty-One, a new, more cigarette-looking e-cig, claims it's better than previous products because you change the mouthpiece with every use so you're not inhaling old leftover nicotine again and again... plus they've added a fake smoke effect when you exhale, which makes you look and feel cool. Sound safer? Nope, probably not. There seems to be a host of other things just completely wrong with this product: it comes in five flavors (tobacco, menthol, chocolate, vanilla and coffee) and seems to be marketed to only the shadiest sectors of society -- gangsters, card sharks, thieves, private dicks, AKA our kind of people. The starter kit also apparently includes a membership card in addition to all the regular stuff -- batteries, USB charger, poker chips -- and it'll run you a not-so-affordable $149.95, but you can probably score that at tonight's shakedown, right?

Programmer

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa
Yeah, I was just gonna say, a google search of a random sentence yielded this:

The offending post

Never heard of this engadget site before. This appears to be a one-paragraph blog-type entry. Whoopie. Do people really read this crap all day? Man. I think it's hilarious. People that couldn't get published in their own church newsletter suddenly think the world needs to read what they have to say.

Last edited:

taz3cat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2008
Port Arthur, Texas
I don't know one compared us to child molesters, thats the low of the lowest. I rather be gangster, a card shark or the private detective. that would spice up my life.

People that write those storys are just plain mean spirited. They are probably trashy people too. The person that wrote that story must hang out with that type of person or persons.

angel.white

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2009
Kansas
I don't know one compared us to child molesters, thats the low of the lowest. I rather be gangster, a card shark or the private detective. that would spice up my life.

People that write those storys are just plain mean spirited. They are probably trashy people too. The person that wrote that story must hang out with that type of person or persons.
And serial killers

(btw, YES, I WOULD GIVE THEM RUBBER KNIVES)

shoes

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2009
illinois--usa
They had a short e-cig discussion on fox this morning. They were talking with some doctor about it and what his views were. You could tell he never put much time in on the prep. I wish some doctor would actually prep himself before they start flaping their jaw. Anyway his review was a wash. They did say they had asked one of the e-cig companies to come on but they had declined. That didn't help anything.

Bellinghamster

ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2008
Bellingham, WA USA
I wish some doctor would actually prep himself before they start flaping their jaw.

Never *ever* going to happen.

No one knows anything about the safety of e-smoking, either in the short term or the long term. Anecdotal evidence and personal experience is good enough for me, but is like blood in the water for malpractice lawyers.

Please quote me in case I am ever proven wrong:

"No licensed doctor will ever advocate e-cigarettes in print or on TV"

Please, please quote me... I want to know the day we finally win.

EDIT: I hate when I miss the point. You are correct Shoes, I wish they would at least know the basics, and be able to at least express the issues intelligently.

Last edited:

Tasdad

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2009
Pittsburg, KS
Never *ever* going to happen.

No one knows anything about the safety of e-smoking, either in the short term or the long term. Anecdotal evidence and personal experience is good enough for me, but is like blood in the water for malpractice lawyers.

Please quote me in case I am ever proven wrong:

"No licensed doctor will ever advocate e-cigarettes in print or on TV"

Please, please quote me... I want to know the day we finally win.

EDIT: I hate when I miss the point. You are correct Shoes, I wish they would at least know the basics, and be able to at least express the issues intelligently.

Ok, I'll quote you. I'll also quote Show Synopsis from the tv show "The Doctors"

“For some people, this may be a big help to get them to quit smoking,” Dr. Ordon says. “We don’t want to get people on nicotine; that’s not good, either [because it] constricts your blood vessels, but it’s a lot better than consuming all that tar and charcoal and carbon monoxide [that is in cigarettes].”

Never say never.

macpanda

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2009
Geneva, IL
www.macpanda.com
I love engadget. I check it daily to catch up on all the new technology stuff thats coming out or being invented. Sometimes its serious but sometimes the whole article is written in a very sarcastic tone and ment to be taken with a sense of humor and this is one of those articles. He was not serious at all :)

macpanda

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2009
Geneva, IL
www.macpanda.com
I was there when Engadget came out with this trash, all the good guys got lowest ranked, nice to see they all got voted up! The people who write it are an ugly bunch of geeks trying to be cool and I have seen pictures!

I will agree that sometimes I dont like how they report things or when they like to mix their opinion in. But I do use it a lot to catch up on stuff and then if I find something I like I will do further research on my own. But I agree sometimes some of the writers are just trying to be cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread