Status
Not open for further replies.

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
I just received this cotton pads. It says they are made with no chemicals but not of organic cotton, per se. I am wondering if you think I should boil it first
2f4e124e0705cfeace6dd5c3e490d837.jpg

f2cd1b4e50817306bbff5c280ac44845.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
I just received this cotton pads. It says they are made with no chemicals but not of organic cotton, per se. I am wondering if you think I should boil it first
2f4e124e0705cfeace6dd5c3e490d837.jpg

f2cd1b4e50817306bbff5c280ac44845.jpg

Yes. Wash. It may not have been treated or blended in processing, but there's no telling where or how it was grown. That's why organic is so important... no pesticides or herbicides while growing... no bleaches when processing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Ive never used those but , Id try it out and see how it tastes. If youve been rebuilding a while Im sure you will be able to know if its good out of the box and not that youve over packed or under wicked etc.

Reason some washed thier cotton was because of the left over chemicals used to sterilize the cotton or as in some really natural cottons, because there is some natural residues in cotton that makes some actually repell liquids.

I got some Pima a while ago that was organic and etc... Its was beautiful, silky and shiny but it actually did not wick for me and was told it needed to be washed to get the natural residues off.... I have it in a bag somewhere, I dont want to have to wash and make sure its dry or worry about mildew.... Im lazy.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Yes. Wash. It may not have been treated or blended in processing, but there's no telling where or how it was grown. That's why organic is so important... no pesticides or herbicides while growing... no bleaches when processing.

Hi Shawn, you know Im not a trouble maker, and a pompous *** So Im not trying to be argumentative, but "organic" does not mean safe. My doctor told me some very disturbing facts about organic farming.... The fertilizers and insecticides that you can use to be able to be a certified "organic" label is scary.

I use KGD and some cotton balls that are "organic" and they just work. I like to be safe, but dont go "nuts" with it. If you vape it and it tastes "chemical" then there is probably something not good in it. We all have to put our health in someones hands and Im still comfortable knowing that vaping cotton with a bit of bleach residue is still better than cigarettes.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Hi Shawn, you know Im not a trouble maker, and a pompous *** So Im not trying to be argumentative, but "organic" does not mean safe. My doctor told me some very disturbing facts about organic farming.... The fertilizers and insecticides that you can use to be able to be a certified "organic" label is scary.

I use KGD and some cotton balls that are "organic" and they just work. I like to be safe, but dont go "nuts" with it. If you vape it and it tastes "chemical" then there is probably something not good in it. We all have to put our health in someones hands and Im still comfortable knowing that vaping cotton with a bit of bleach residue is still better than cigarettes.

I agree... but I'd rather start from organic and work my way up a short ladder than start with glyophosphate and spiral down :)

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
I just looked up the "White Rabbit" looks good, similar to the KGD and other popular cotton used for vaping. Id try it as is to start. Only thing that Im not sure about is its "fluffiness" Looks almost like surgical gauze or the layer most people pull off the Koh Gen Do cotton pads.

If I were trying it out Id cut a piece a bit thicker than I think, sort of pull and fluff it and then lightly twist it into shape. If it starts to burn or get dry hits make it a bit thicker. You dont want there to be much space between your coil and the wick , that when you get sort of an "afterburn" of liquid that heats on the coil.

You also dont want to have too much cotton or you dont get enough liquid flowing.

Try it.... Looks interesting.
41p7PY2RPGL.jpg

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
I just looked up the "White Rabbit" looks good, similar to the KGD and other popular cotton used for vaping. Id try it as is to start. Only thing that Im not sure about is its "fluffiness" Looks almost like surgical gauze or the layer most people pull off the Koh Gen Do cotton pads.

If I were trying it out Id cut a piece a bit thicker than I think, sort of pull and fluff it and then lightly twist it into shape. If it starts to burn or get dry hits make it a bit thicker. You dont want there to be much space between your coil and the wick , that when you get sort of an "afterburn" of liquid that heats on the coil.

You also dont want to have too much cotton or you dont get enough liquid flowing.

Try it.... Looks interesting.

I was trying to replicate this, which came out of a hohm skillet coil. I tried overlapping cotton "skin" and it didn't fit in
a1af5154bcb35c4064edd5b03f5b34f0.jpg

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
I have seen it some premade coil heads in tutorial for rebuilding premade coil heads. I assume its easier to fit in small spaces, as long as it wicks fast and is able to hold enough so it does not leak but not so thick that it clogs in those small heads could be the reason its used in those.

I love trying new wick materials so might order some out of curiosity. Looks like it would be great for those that like "the Scottish roll wick" method where they take KGD types and pull them out thin and flat so they can roll it up and then it "fills" for good wicking on high power vaping.

Reactions: ChelsB

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
I have seen it some premade coil heads in tutorial for rebuilding premade coil heads. I assume its easier to fit in small spaces, as long as it wicks fast and is able to hold enough so it does not leak but not so thick that it clogs in those small heads could be the reason its used in those.

I love trying new wick materials so might order some out of curiosity. Looks like it would be great for those that like "the scottish wick" method where they take KGD types and pull them out thin and flat so they can roll it up and then it "fills" for good wicking on high power vaping.

Actually took me quite a bit of searching to find the perfect size. I'm so glad someone else may benefit from this. If you pm me your address, I'm happy to send you a sample. This is a big box that'll last me a long, long time!

Reactions: anavidfan

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
Oh thats is too nice. Only if you it can fit a pad or 2 in an letter sized envelope so it doesnt cost you more than the price of a stamp

So many people have helped me here, I'm happy to do it!

benley73

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 2, 2016
So many people have helped me here, I'm happy to do it!

Thats great of you [emoji106]
lol find out where he lives ️
first lol ,
If he lives near lapetus although its only a small place of only 734 kilometers might be a bit expensive an long post , [emoji16] ,
Only joking , very generous of you [emoji106][emoji106]
[emoji597][emoji568][emoji574]️[emoji289][emoji573][emoji286][emoji294]️[emoji274][emoji763]
[emoji6] [emoji6] [emoji5]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Reactions: ChelsB

nclay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2014
California

Farmers use twice as many chemicals on organic crops, the chemicals they use are just certified for use in organics

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Farmers use twice as many chemicals on organic crops, the chemicals they use are just certified for use in organics
I really REALLY have come to hate the word chemical. H2O is a chemical, C02 is a chemical. Neither is harmful to crops or humans (in normal concentrations. Glyophosphate, on the other hand... or, Chlorpyrifos, perhaps... the "chemicals" argument is the same line being fed to the population at large about vaping... it produces chemicals... gasp... stop sometime, and try to pronounce all the ingredients in a box of fruity COPYRIGHTDMCA... and those are FDA approved!

So, yes, chemicals are used in organic farming. My hope is that they are not as damaging to the environment or my health as I know sucking down cotton coated in cholecalciferol or sodium hypochlorite would be...

Additionally, I have anecdotal proof from several I know personally that ended up in the hospital with reactions from vaping regular cotton...

As with all of vaping, the choice is yours...

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
I really REALLY have come to hate the word chemical. H2O is a chemical, C02 is a chemical. Neither is harmful to crops or humans (in normal concentrations. Glyophosphate, on the other hand... or, Chlorpyrifos, perhaps... the "chemicals" argument is the same line being fed to the population at large about vaping... it produces chemicals... gasp... stop sometime, and try to pronounce all the ingredients in a box of fruity COPYRIGHTDMCA... and those are FDA approved!

So, yes, chemicals are used in organic farming. My hope is that they are not as damaging to the environment or my health as I know sucking down cotton coated in cholecalciferol or sodium hypochlorite would be...

Additionally, I have anecdotal proof from several I know personally that ended up in the hospital with reactions from vaping regular cotton...

As with all of vaping, the choice is yours...

I decided to err on the side of caution and I boiled them

Reactions: Shawn Hoefer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread