Status
Not open for further replies.

FogHawg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2013
KY
I got lucky on my very first wick/coil & it was AMAZING!! It took me a while after that to duplicate the performance but it was the one that hooked me & I don't think I'll ever forget it. It was a pina colada juice in an AGA T2 (#400 solid wick w/a 4/5 wrap of 30g kanthal at 1.3 Ohms) & it was also my very first vape on my new Provari. It was incredible! Who else remembers their first good rba set-up? Details?

Scoop224

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2012
Cincinnati
I've had a couple of set ups that were duds, but overall I've been really lucky and have about a 90% success rate. The good thing about a cruddy set up is tearing it down and making a new one..... Free practice!!

my first wick and coil ever blew my mind when I fired it up..... I was laughing after every cloud.... i remember going back and forth with my carto tank and being overwhelmed at the differences.

thevyrus

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2013
new york
Hey, my first attempt was quickly followed by my second attempt today. My first was on a little knock-off china-made genesis style atomizer. I used a 500 mesh with some medical gauze string wrapped around the top with a 5/6 wrap of 30g kanthal to get 2 ohms (checked using a $10 multimeter from amazon, not the most accurate) which I popped onto a standard ego 900mah battery running at its default of 3.3V or so. I doused the tip with e juice and fired away, and i was disappointed as it barely produced any vapor. I then removed the cotton fiber off the top and rewrapped the kanthal - still not enough vapor. Finally, i cut it down to a 3/4 wrap (around 1.6 ohms, give or take) and voila, it was popping and sizzling like i've seen in countless videos. I had a hotspot on the top coil which was remedied by just kinking the wire against the middle post. I filled the tank with some strawberry from one vendor which sucked, and banana from another i got as a sampler (i did this so i wouldn't feel bad if it was a failure and i had to dump the juice). Metallic taste was prominent right away for the first dozen or so pulls. I stepped away for an hour and a half, returned, and it was AWESOME. i didnt care much for the flavor of the e juice, but the experience was unlike anything i got out of my carto tank, carto, bcc, vivi nova. Clouds of vapor, smooth hit, no dry hits AT ALL, no burnt taste even taking the full drag all the way to the 8 second cut off, and all this from a setup using a 15 dollar standard ego battery - i was satisfied. My second endeavor was with my vivi nova. i made a u wick. my torch went out half way through oxidizing, but i did focus on the "U" part of the wick where the coil makes contact (i think that it isn't imperative to oxidize the area which is not intimate with the coil, i could be completely wrong though) and then i wrapped the same 30g kanthal to a 5/6 wrap and popped it on my vision spinner (after checking it with a multimeter) and turned it to the lowest voltage and fired and saw the coils all swell up fiery orange - this was a great feeling. I loaded this one up with a hodge-podge mix of e liquids (minthol, strawberry lemonade, hawk sauce, razzleberry) and vaped away. Metallic taste like no other. Thought i failed. Sure enough, after vaping 1 mL or so and then topping off with some more e juice, it was STELLAR, vaping at 4.3V. Clouds of vapor, long draws with no burning or dryness whatsoever and crisp flavor. None of those features were consistently present with the stock silica wick head.

All in all, i still prefer my free zen style knockoff coupled with my dinky ego battery. I will eventually spring for a better device (looking at the vamo, particularly from vaporbreak for 27 bucks) but for now i wanna just enjoy maximizing my vape with the tools i have already.

Sorry for the novel, I am just very excited and elated to find such a perfect, economical vape less than 2 months after I first started with a logic e cig i got at a gas station. this forum rocks!

thevyrus

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2013
new york
photo (2).jpg

here they are

FogHawg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2013
KY
It's glad to see that I'm not the only one who recalls their first good RBA vape. I was really hoping that some of the more experienced RBA'ers would post about their first ones too tho. I gotta feeling most do remember it. I mean, it's what snaggged us all, right?

- pdib, you surpassed us mere mortals long ago. :laugh: Now tell us about your first good build.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
my first was on a DuD/CHuD/CHid/whathaveyou. a $20 genny. stock wick and wire. must have been 32g, #400. oxidezed the ever loving crap out of it. it took me lots of patience, none of which i thought i had. but i was determined. and you guys gave me that patience.

but anyway. prior to my foray in RBAs, i was having TH issues with my favorite liquid (NLV Gold). i kept having to up my nic% to get the solid TH i wanted. and i was not happy with that. i didnt want to be injesting 24mg juice all day long. i wanted the TH, but the effect of that much nic on my body was unnecessary and uncomfortable.

someone told me that gennys deliver amazing TH (and amazing flavor to boot!). when i first got that genny up and running i was like a little kid at christmas. my eyes were like silver dollars. my 18mg Gold was hitting like a Mack truck. seriously, it felt like i was vaping 36mg juice. i was so happy. and i still am. gennys fo life! haha.
and yeah, the abundance of flavor damn near knocked me over. i was beside myself. still am! as a matter of fact, id like to take this time to highly recommend Gold in a genesis-style atomizer. the experience is incredibly noteworthy. incredibly.
for the record, this build occured in november of last year. i have not run a single other juice through that particular genny and i never will. this is my gold machine. and i will never be without it! in order to try out other flavors in a genny, i decided that i just needed to buy more gennys. simple as that. and thats exactly what i did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread