Your interactions with the opposition, online or in person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgordon1100

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2011
A, A
Here's mine today. I was watching a reaction video to Rush's song "Witch Hunt". As I started to write my comment, I couldn't help but think that the current "witch" right now is vaping. Here's how that went.

Screenshot_20191006-064145_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20191006-064108_YouTube.jpg

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Here's mine today. I was watching a reaction video to Rush's song "Witch Hunt". As I started to write my comment, I couldn't help but think that the current "witch" right now is vaping. Here's how that went.

View attachment 843217 View attachment 843219

Reads like Al is a vegan who does yoga and meditation for an hour every day. Arguing with someone like that is like arguing with the Jehovah’s Witness at your door.

Horselady154

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
United States
We never claimed it was healthy. It is healthier than smoking combustible cigarettes; harm-reduction. He's right that it would be healthier to do neither. But, since he seems to be claiming that he is healthy in mind, body and soul, I'm thinking he needs to do some more work on the mind and perhaps the soul thing, if he finds it necessary to attack someone for making decisions to better their own health.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Reads like Al is a vegan who does yoga and meditation for an hour every day. Arguing with someone like that is like arguing with the Jehovah’s Witness at your door.

He’s not doing either right, or he wouldn’t be such a nut. The entire purpose of meditation and yoga are to clear and balance the mind and body, and he’s clearly too antagonistic to be benefiting.

mgordon1100

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2011
A, A
I'm thinking he needs to do some more work on the mind and perhaps the soul thing, if he finds it necessary to attack someone for making decisions to better their own health.

That's what I was thinking. Here we are, discussing the meanings of a song, and his only contribution is to jump on my personal life choices. Oh, the irony of that song being "Witch Hunt". It's interesting to note, the person doing the reaction is proud of her vape, and used it one of her videos the day it came in the mail. I hope she reads that post.

How about the rest of you? What has been your experiences? The media brainwashing runs deep.

Reactions: stols001

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Those who judge what others do are usually embroiled in their own mess, they just won't admit it.

Here's the thing about what he said, he's right in some ways, and wrong in others.

Vaping is silly in some ways, but for the former smoker it's harm reduction and often a live saver. Smoking related illnesses kills nearly 1/2 million people every year in the United States alone. Anything to lessen that number is a net positive for both the individuals affected as well as society as a whole. That becomes, in a system which provides healthcare to the poor, a drain on society.. not something that gives back.

Vaping has the ability to be a net positive from all we've seen thus far, since it's been an excellent form of harm reduction for the addicted smoker.

Is it stupid to take up a bad habit if you have none? Of course it's silly. It's also silly to drink alcohol, eat sweets, drink coffee or do anything to excess.. Even too much water is "bad" and can kill.

People with no addictions should stay away from things like vaping. It's a senseless pastime.. but for the smoker it's a wonder drug, and the only product available today that actually works to quit smoking..

As to your YouTube freind, I wouldn't bother with. Like Eskie said he's the new Jehovah's Witness who wants to control your actions.

I'd just remind him freedom has risk associated with it, and it's for freedom we fight. The whole who gets to rule others with an iron fist fight isn't what this country was founded on. Adults should be able to make their own decisions - even ones we don't agree with, and no government should interfere. We are born free, and will live free or die.

Iron Molly

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2010
State of Anxiety
I was at a party last night, and got the stereotypical "you know that's bad for you, right". Had a nice conversation where I explained the THC situation. The woman (who I had never met before) was actually glad to be informed! It went surprisingly well. I was kind of nervous about vaping around people who don't know me, but it wasn't an issue. It was outdoors, with no less than three fire pits that I'm sure were putting out many more toxins than my vape!

bigbob2322

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 27, 2014
    Schiller PK IL USA
    Those who judge what others do are usually embroiled in their own mess, they just won't admit it.

Here's the thing about what he said, he's right in some ways, and wrong in others.

Vaping is silly in some ways, but for the former smoker it's harm reduction and often a live saver. Smoking related illnesses kills nearly 1/2 million people every year in the United States alone. Anything to lessen that number is a net positive for both the individuals affected as well as society as a whole. That becomes, in a system which provides healthcare to the poor, a drain on society.. not something that gives back.

Vaping has the ability to be a net positive from all we've seen thus far, since it's been an excellent form of harm reduction for the addicted smoker.

Is it stupid to take up a bad habit if you have none? Of course it's silly. It's also silly to drink alcohol, eat sweets, drink coffee or do anything to excess.. Even too much water is "bad" and can kill.

People with no addictions should stay away from things like vaping. It's a senseless pastime.. but for the smoker it's a wonder drug, and the only product available today that actually works to quit smoking..

As to your YouTube freind, I wouldn't bother with. Like Eskie said he's the new Jehovah's Witness who wants to control your actions.

I'd just remind him freedom has risk associated with it, and it's for freedom we fight. The whole who gets to rule others with an iron fist fight isn't what this country was founded on. Adults should be able to make their own decisions - even ones we don't agree with, and no government should interfere. We are born free, and will live free or die.
    If you run for any office you have my vote. Perfectly well put!!!

mgordon1100

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 24, 2011
    A, A
    I was at a party last night, and got the stereotypical "you know that's bad for you, right".

Very nice, Molly! She may have walked away without her opinion changed one bit, but she opened that interaction with genuine concern for you. A person like that is inviting a healthy discourse, unlike my YouTube "friend", who lol'd at me, lectured me, and displayed some classic communist ideology. Good for you. I wish we all can have an opportunity for intelligent talks with others.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 25, 2014
    NY
    I would walk away if someone said to me "only an insane society allows cigarettes."

I simply can't deal with this kind of attitude. Because to me, an insane society is the one which tries to control what other people put into their own bodies.

So I probably wouldn't have made it to the part about having a healthy soul, but if I somehow did make it that far, that's when I turn my walk into a sprint. :)

Iron Molly

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 27, 2010
    State of Anxiety
    Very nice, Molly! She may have walked away without her opinion changed one bit, but she opened that interaction with genuine concern for you. A person like that is inviting a healthy discourse, unlike my YouTube "friend", who lol'd at me, lectured me, and displayed some classic communist ideology. Good for you. I wish we all can have an opportunity for intelligent talks with others.

I think she really did view it differently. She had never thought about what happens when legal products are banned, and she didn't realize that vape shops (that card) aren't the problem, but are put out of business by a ban. People who don't vape don't think about this at all, but once you mention it, it makes a lot of sense. I think this is what we all have to try to do to make any progress. I think that most people believe that adults should be able to choose things that aren't 100% safe, if they wish.

mgordon1100

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 24, 2011
    A, A
    A bit off topic, but I have a funny anecdote. 30 years ago, I was over at my girlfriend's place one Saturday morning after her birthday party. This JW rings the bell, and she invited them in. With the both of us sitting there in our robes, half empty and empty beer bottles everywhere, the water pipe sitting in the middle of the room, she argued with him as myself and his young children listened. I looked at her, and with all the mental telepathy I had, I asked her point blank "are you really doing this?"

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    My husband is like, addicted to trying to convert JHW to Christianity. I kept coming home and seeing pamphlets strewn about. I finally had to accuse him of having an affair with one (or both!) they tend to come in pairs. But, I wanted to frighten him into like, submission. If you talk with anything too long it can alter the mind and I am not BECOMING a JHW OR getting excommunicated as a wife, because I won't.

They built a "compound" or whatever like a mile from my house. One fine Saturday they ENTERED my property just like drove through my GATE like it was all fine. I was pretty much half dressed and disheveled. But, I RAN out of my house shrieking and waving my arms, going "YOU are (censored) trespassing I should call the (censored) /police, I should throw rocks at you, Get the (censored censored) off my property you revolting band of SOUL stealers, (CENSORED off) don't you EVER come here again!"

My neighbor (who is pals with the husband) was dealing with his carful like, far more politely/ He looked very amused. He told the husband my neighborhood misses me. LOL.

But you can't let them in. It's like ants or termites once they are "in" they are so hard to get "out."

Nothing against JHW EVERYTHING against trying to convert people. I don't run around shoving MY Creator on everyone, although frankly they'd have a great time MY Creator is the bomb. MY Creator would also censor me sternly and be like, "Anna, don't be a d:censored:. I know you are human and you can't help it, and neither can any human but you have to TRY to not be a d:censored: as much as you can. You know that's tenant number one.

Anna

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    I would walk away if someone said to me "only an insane society allows cigarettes."

I simply can't deal with this kind of attitude. Because to me, an insane society is the one which tries to control what other people put into their own bodies.
    Exactly. He thinks "society" owns you.

United States

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 17, 2018
    RVA
    If someone happens to indicate to me how vaping is bad I ask if they've ever smoked. If they no I say how at least I'm not inhaling carbon monoxide and leave it there. When they ask don't they explode I respond "yup, wanna see it?" and take a drag.

I have never been confronted by a non vaper.

Hide it? No not really. I just don't make a huge deal out of it. I like to say "educate, not dictate" when it comes to opinion related matters. Politics, religion, vaping etc. Starting debates aint my thing on social media.

Left, right, it don't matter. People are people. Most social media outlets are designed for confrontations. So the back and forth arguing is only feeding a monster that feasts on strife and gains power from it.

Don't feed the monster.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread