Status
Not open for further replies.

bushmaster

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2010
Colville, WA
I got mine and am truly happy with it and my new Ultrafire 18650 batteries. It is a terrific 3.7v vaping combination. I see that Madvapes now has the switch/circuit board on their site for ten bucks, so I'll have to be ordering a spare or two. For those of you who purchased the extended tube, does your tube have a little gap between the head and tube when screwed together? Yes, I know MadVapes said this would occur and some grinding or polishing might be required--I'm certainly not complaining. I just want to know if anyone has ground their tube down to fit flush yet. Was it pretty easy? I'm asking because I'd rather live with the little gap than screw up the threads on my new favorite vaping tool. Any input would be appreciated. I love this pv!

hoogie76

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 1, 2009
Charlotte, NC
We cheat a little bit with them and run the thread end across a belt sander. It quickly takes off material so be careful if go that way.. Rubbing the thread end across some sand paper wroks great also and gives you a bit more control but takes a bit longer.

Doesn't seem to screw up the threads inless you take them all off :) Good luck and glad you like the roughstack..

hoog

bushmaster

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2010
Colville, WA
Thanks, hoog. I picked up a cheap metal-ginding disc in town today and I'll use it to manually hand-grind my tube down to size. I can't tell you how happy I am with this pv. I'm a logger and durability is the key deal with me in purchasing a mod. I've had pretty good luck with boxmods, but the 14500 batteries were something of a limitation. They've done the job well enough, I'll admit, but this Roughstack with the 18650 battery is a true loggers tool. It is the pv I've been looking for since day 1. Well done indeed. Thank you:)

bushmaster

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2010
Colville, WA
Gee, I made that a lot harder than it needed to be. The grinding wheel used manually was not that productive, but a sanding sponge I found in my cabinet cut the extended tube down to a perfect fit in less than 5 minutes. Thanks for the advice, the encouragement and your fine product, hoog.

We cheat a little bit with them and run the thread end across a belt sander. It quickly takes off material so be careful if go that way.. Rubbing the thread end across some sand paper wroks great also and gives you a bit more control but takes a bit longer.

Doesn't seem to screw up the threads inless you take them all off :) Good luck and glad you like the roughs
hoog

bushmaster

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2010
Colville, WA
I went the o-rings route.

Ordered 2mm Section 20mm Bore Nitrile Rubber O-Rings and it fits just right. Cheers.

I didn't go that route because of my allegiance to the conductivity god. I want every thread (Noalox assisted) to have the opportunity to help my positive and negative terminals converse.

laid_in

Sep 24, 2010
Home Counties UK
Not at all Bushmaster.

Like you, I bought an original roughstack and am very happy with it. When I discovered I could get an extension tube for it for additional battery combinations I jumped at the chance.

I'll bet there's not many of us who own a standard roughstack with this custom battery extension so was really pleased to find a thread that talked about it. I'll admit, I'm not brilliant with a grinder or a lathe which is why I bought the o-ring and suggested it on here as an alternative solution.

First thing this morning I checked out the resistance of the roughstack spring myself against a copper one I have and there was no difference in my readings, but when I posted last night I thought it was a good suggestion.

This forum is great for people sharing thoughts and ideas in a common interest and this thread is the most exclusive one I have found for owners of a standard roughstack with 18650 extension tube like mine. I sure hope I haven't caused ill feelings with my suggestions on it. Brian.

A pic of my custom roughstack:-

rs.jpg

Jimi Mack

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2009
Long Island
That is a really good idea to use an o-ring to fill the flaw. I am still flipping a coin on if to get the regular or the maxi roughstack, though now I think I may be leaning more towards the maxi seeing the size of it in your fingers, not as big as I was thinking. For some reason in other pics it looked to be larger than my Chucks.

jctennis

ECF Veteran
That is a really good idea to use an o-ring to fill the flaw. I am still flipping a coin on if to get the regular or the maxi roughstack, though now I think I may be leaning more towards the maxi seeing the size of it in your fingers, not as big as I was thinking. For some reason in other pics it looked to be larger than my Chucks.
no longer, but it is a bit thicker.

Jimi Mack

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2009
Long Island
Like most things, the more you use it the more comfortable it will become. I have a couple with top switches and many with the std side switch. This type on the side say used in the Chuck seems to go off easier in your pocket, while on this unit on the top it is less likely to go off while in your pocket or if you lay it down on it's side.

bushmaster

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2010
Colville, WA
Not at all Bushmaster.

Like you, I bought an original roughstack and am very happy with it. When I discovered I could get an extension tube for it for additional battery combinations I jumped at the chance.

I'll bet there's not many of us who own a standard roughstack with this custom battery extension so was really pleased to find a thread that talked about it. I'll admit, I'm not brilliant with a grinder or a lathe which is why I bought the o-ring and suggested it on here as an alternative solution.

First thing this morning I checked out the resistance of the roughstack spring myself against a copper one I have and there was no difference in my readings, but when I posted last night I thought it was a good suggestion.

This forum is great for people sharing thoughts and ideas in a common interest and this thread is the most exclusive one I have found for owners of a standard roughstack with 18650 extension tube like mine. I sure hope I haven't caused ill feelings with my suggestions on it. Brian.

A pic of my custom roughstack:-

rs.jpg

Brian, I stand corrected. I guess you caught me at a bad moment or I took your comments wrong. My bad. Your Maxi looks great with the o-ring.

laid_in

Sep 24, 2010
Home Counties UK
Thanks Bushmaster. They sure are great to use aren't they.

Turok, I still use the smaller battery when around town as it's excellent for stealth vaping when you don't have time to explain what it is etc.

I find the bigger battery fitting ideal for everywhere else. It lasts me 2 days where a tornado/ego/riva lasts me just under a day.

I've a few other devices with side buttons. The top button placement on the Roughstack has never activated accidentally in my jeans pocket unlike the others. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread