Roughstack V1 melted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turok

May 15, 2010
pa
Ok, so the entire unit wasn't reduced to a gooey liquid resembling that of the Terminator when doused in liquid nitrogen. But the dripper tip had a similar look when I noticed that the unit was activated when I wasn't using it. I was using the old version cap with an old extended tube that Madvapes use to sell (unsure if they still do). Had one of those silver smok tech dual cartomizers screwed in (which its innards now resemble ash and charred metal). I expect things like this to happen (especially considering this particular mod was pretty old and got thousands of uses), but I want to figure out if it was the actual unit that went bonkers, or some other variable that may cause harm to my new Maxi V2 that's inbound.

So yeah, what do you think? The batteries don't seem to be the problem (trustfire 18350 3.7's) as I used two 16340's "propped" into the mod after this incident and the same thing seemed to happen. They mod remained active without pressing the button. Likewise, it remained active when different cartos had been screwed in.

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated. :2cool:

CritterBuddy

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
Use a multi-meter and thoroughly check out the switch and make sure it is operating correctly. If it is then it might be something along the line of what I was having a problem with.

Every time I used my V1 the casing would get real hot. Thought at first it was just the heat from my hand but then I noticed the center pin which touches the positive post of the battery didn't stick up very much as compared to the semi-circle circuit on the board. I cut out a small disk of thick paper just the size of the inside diameter of the body and used a paper punch to make a hole in the center for the positive post of the battery to make contact. Results were no more hot casing.

I was still nervous about using it as it just didn't perform like my box mod. So today I finally removed the spring from the circuit board and replaced it with a wire. While I had the soldering iron out I also added another "drop" of solder to the center pin to make it a little higher. Man, this sucker hits like a mule now... WOW!

5vz

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2011
in here somewhere USA
Had this happen last night. Used old Maxi RS all day, it was the same as yours Turok, extension tube purchased later, but that is not the issue, I don't think. After a big vaping session, I could hear it sizzling away while laying on the table in front of me. Immediately took the batteries out!

Have you replaced the switch assembly recently? I THINK this is what happened, at least on mine. Got a new switch assembly, put it in. There is a little tooth edged piece under the nut when you receive it. I think that needs to be discarded. That is what I am doing now. Fortunately I had ordered 2 switch assemblies, I am certain the other one fried yesterday. I am certain yours is too from what you describe, unfortunately. Hope that helps, and all you need is a new switch.

Also made the decision to take all batteries out of all mods when not in use. This is the 2nd mod in 2 years to do this, the other being a plastic 5v Wetbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread