Status
Not open for further replies.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
hey vape divrr looking at the wick and coil still in the atty the coil is black this is my first rba im thinking its supposed to be that
color?

yes, kind of black, they probably really gave it a good oxidize. but sometimes when you do a wrap, then maybe re-wrap it again, or make the coils a little tight you can possibly take off some of that oxidation in a certain area. this may or may not show up as a hotspot, but is a short, sometimes if you just rotate the wick just a little from the coils it can make a difference as well, but sometimes it may need a little bit more oxidation in a certain spot. so it may help if you do take out the wick with the coil and just give it a once over.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
my hotspot is basically the bridge piece of coil from the top of the wick to the center post

i had thought you didnt have a hot spot, and that you just had a bad taste. well that narrows it down, and probably can fix it without taking it apart, although it wouldnt hurt. usually this happens from to much tension, it could be either that the top coil is to tight or to loose. it shouldnt be strangling the wick, nor should there be a gap behind the wire. you might have it this way anyways but whatever way you have wrapped the wick, lets say clockwise, then make your connection to the top nut in the opposite direction, counter clockwise. this will keep the wire around the wick in better contact. also as you tighten up the top nut make sure it doesnt pull over the wick towards the positive post, this adds extra tension. sometimes you can tighten down the top nut or tighten up the lower nut to make everything tigh. and sometimes when you do tighten up the nut it trys to make the wire slip out to the edge of the nut, you dont want this. the wire needs to stay close to the actual post when tightening. keep at it you will work it out.

NayrTrawe

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2013
Chicago, IL
I got mine yesterday, as well, and I found that the pre-installed wick and coil were (for lack of a better term) jacked up, and not in line with the juice I was using (Boba's Bounty - too thick for 400x400 mesh, I think). I was getting burnt, dry hits no matter how much I fiddled with the coil and the resistance was jumping from 1.3 to 2.1 ohms. Having never used an RBA before I thought this might be part of the break-in process, but I was definitely wrong. I started over with a 325x325 mesh and made my first coil and I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was not all that difficult. Now everything is working much better and I am getting nice, clean hits and it hasn't even broken in yet. I am still not 100% sold on this setup but I am going to give it some time. I really wish the tight draw caps were still available somewhere....

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Im not a big fan of the stock wick setup that comes with the ZAP. Its tiny and doesnt seem to keep up well even when tipped and heating correctly. Mine is getting replaced today without the insulator and a larger wick. Most likely a double wrap

I actually like the factory set-up in the ZAP. When it's time to rebuild, I may just leave the insulator in, and use the extra wicks that came with it. I can get a good vape at lower watts than I can with my fat wick set-ups. The thinner wicks act as less of a heat sink. My DiDs use 1/8" wicks, and I'm finding the ZAP wicks just as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread