Z atty U voltage drop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmyhat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2012
West Chester, Pa
yeah I have a 2/3 wrap of twisted 28ga and it still is pretty weak and I still havent found a fix I tore the whole atomizer down and everything was clean so I sanded down the contacts and still more than 1 volt in drop. I tried a did clone and voltage drop was only .3. I can't figure out where all the power is going it's starting to seem like this is a flawed device

Last edited:

wfarrar33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Arkansas
Mine are both basically brand-new and have the same issue. right at 1 volt less at the coil than there should be. Suuucks

yeah I have a 2/3 wrap of twisted 28ga and it still is pretty weak and I still havent found a fix I tore the whole atomizer down and everything was clean so I sanded down the contacts and still more than 1 volt in drop. I tried a did clone and voltage drop was only .3. I can't figure out where all the power is going it's starting to seem like this is a flawed device

Jimmyhat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2012
West Chester, Pa
After rebuilding one of them again and sanding down all contacts and making sure everything was perfect I couldn't get the voltage drop to go away. I also test my zap's and they had a .2-.3 voltage drop. So i decided to just sell my 3 zau's I love zen products but unless your using a vv mod which I am not these things are no good. I had to resort to a kick and I hate kicks unless I'm using a vivi or a carto tank. It's a shame because like I said I love zen products. Hopefully my doodlebugs and steam turbines that I'm waiting on will be much better.

Jimmyhat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2012
West Chester, Pa
ok so I was bored tonight and figured I would give fixing the z atty u another try. I disassembled the whole thing, took the center post out and then took the top stud, spring and pin out. I then used my dremel to clean up the bottom pin and both end of the spring, I also cleaned up the bottom of the stud so that everything had a completely flat and clean surface. I put it all together and checked it suprise suprise I have NO voltage drop at all like none. So I guess the trick is to make sure all surfaces are perfectly clean and smooth. Needless to say I'm keeping the zau's

Jimmyhat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2012
West Chester, Pa
also I had one of the z atty's that had the plastic top part that kept popping out so I cleaned everything spotless and used JB weld to secure it since everything else didn't work. I'll be shocked if it comes out now and yes I know it's not exactly food grade but I can't see any issues with the JB weld once it's dry other than that center post is going to be permenently in there

shortee611

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2013
Aylmer, On
Mine is only 3 weeks old. I didn't realize there was anything wrong with it until I bought a AGAT+ for my wife. The aga hit harder and tasted better with the same omh coil. I'm making up a solid brass center post next week for the ZAU. But for now I replaced the spring with a solid piece of brass. Much much better. Now it outperforms the AGA which it should.

Jimmyhat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2012
West Chester, Pa
OK so the one is running well but another one started acting up tonight after I re coiled it at .9ohms and I'm unable to fix it cause the spring and bottom positive post is stuck in the plastic tube. I decided I'm going to do what shortee is doing more or less. I just have to get a 18ga piece of brass and make a post from the center pin to the top post. I also noticed that as you go down in ohms the voltage drop goes up, that's why the zatty pro isn't showing a huge voltage drop because the coils are at a pretty high ohms compared to what you would run on a mechanical. On the zatty u I ran a 2.4ohm coil and had very little voltage drop I think it was like .1 or .2 volts, I then wrapped a .9 ohm coil and voltage drop was around 1.4 volts. So it's almost like the internals are regulating the amps or something like that, this is at least my thought, so for now untill my other atomizers come I'm going to try to get this running better at all ohms with the brass idea shortee is using. Also Rymarski how many ohms is your coil on the z atty u and what mod are you running it on? With what seems to be happening with me I'm going to guess high ohms on a vv/vw mod but this is only a guess based on what is happening to me.

Rymarski

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2012
Chicago
Im running both the zap and zau on my provaris. The zap has around a 1.1-1.2 ohm coil and the zau a 1.1 ohm coil. I'm running the zap around 3.8-3.9 and the zau at 3.7 volts. So far the voltage drop is non existent. I did notice on my more used provari there was a larger voltage drop, but I cleaned the top cap threading thoroughly and now both the mini and regular are showing about a 0.1 drop (0.2 sometimes).

I'm currently on a preorder list for a mech mod. I'm gonna try to drop the resistance a little to like 0.8-1.0 ohms once I receive it. I'll keep you posted on the voltage drop then on the zau with the mech mod once I get it. But yea, so far so good.

Rymarski

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2012
Chicago
Mine is only 3 weeks old. I didn't realize there was anything wrong with it until I bought a AGAT+ for my wife. The aga hit harder and tasted better with the same omh coil. I'm making up a solid brass center post next week for the ZAU. But for now I replaced the spring with a solid piece of brass. Much much better. Now it outperforms the AGA which it should.
On both my zau and zap the response time is fantastic. Throat hit, vapor and overall consistency has been fantastic. I don't see how the Aga can be providing you with such a better hit. Really curious on this.

Hello World

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2012
Vancouver
also I had one of the z atty's that had the plastic top part that kept popping out so I cleaned everything spotless and used JB weld to secure it since everything else didn't work. I'll be shocked if it comes out now and yes I know it's not exactly food grade but I can't see any issues with the JB weld once it's dry other than that center post is going to be permenently in there
You should be good unless it's polypropylene/polyethylene plastic.

Last edited:

Jimmyhat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2012
West Chester, Pa
You should be good unless it's polypropylene/polyethylene plastic.
Apparently from what I have read it is not made out of either nor will it bond to those two types of plastic so I think I'll be good.

Also I used the brass post idea to replace the spring and I went from a voltage drop of 1.3 to a volatge drop of .25 so it works really well. I also checked two that I cleaned up with a dremel and sure enough the voltage drop is back and it is around .7 volts, so I'm going to track down some brass springs and use my friends lathe to make a brass bottom positive post and see what my voltage drop is then. It still bothers me that some people aren't getting any voltage drop and others are I wish I could figure out what the deal is with that since is def isn't the ohm's of the coil like I original though it was.

While I was modding everything I decided to take two extra zen caps I had and I drilled the airholes to 5/64", it's awesome it's really an airy draw but I like it. The vapor is a little cooler which I like, since I'm running low ohms the vapor tends to sometimes be a little hot for my liking. I also feel like I have more control over the gensis atomizer, it's almost like you can control the vapor and how it wicks. This might be my imagination but either way I like the bigger airhole and figured I'd share that info with you guys if you were considering it.

Hello World

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2012
Vancouver
Apparently from what I have read it is not made out of either nor will it bond to those two types of plastic so I think I'll be good.
I know cutback asphalts will stick to these for a month ... lol

Also I used the brass post idea to replace the spring and I went from a voltage drop of 1.3 to a volatge drop of .25 so it works really well. I also checked two that I cleaned up with a dremel and sure enough the voltage drop is back and it is around .7 volts, so I'm going to track down some brass springs and use my friends lathe to make a brass bottom positive post and see what my voltage drop is then. It still bothers me that some people aren't getting any voltage drop and others are I wish I could figure out what the deal is with that since is def isn't the ohm's of the coil like I original though it was.
Mine's only 6 weeks old and I know I'm in for a somewhat dreaded clean-up myself in short order. I've had no issues ... still working the same way it did when I got it. And yes, the brass springs & bottom pos. post is a great idea. Let us know how that turns out, as it could prove to be valuable infos for ZAP owners.

While I was modding everything I decided to take two extra zen caps I had and I drilled the airholes to 5/64", it's awesome it's really an airy draw but I like it. The vapor is a little cooler which I like, since I'm running low ohms the vapor tends to sometimes be a little hot for my liking. I also feel like I have more control over the gensis atomizer, it's almost like you can control the vapor and how it wicks. This might be my imagination but either way I like the bigger airhole and figured I'd share that info with you guys if you were considering it.
I have noticed that too. Some juices seem too airy, others could use a bit more, so some subjectivity is most certainly at play. When I first got the ZAP I was going to choke the airhole down with epoxy, but then got so used to it that I feel it's actually quite perfect for me the way it is.

Last edited:

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
Im running both the zap and zau on my provaris. The zap has around a 1.1-1.2 ohm coil and the zau a 1.1 ohm coil. I'm running the zap around 3.8-3.9 and the zau at 3.7 volts. So far the voltage drop is non existent. I did notice on my more used provari there was a larger voltage drop, but I cleaned the top cap threading thoroughly and now both the mini and regular are showing about a 0.1 drop (0.2 sometimes).

I'm currently on a preorder list for a mech mod. I'm gonna try to drop the resistance a little to like 0.8-1.0 ohms once I receive it. I'll keep you posted on the voltage drop then on the zau with the mech mod once I get it. But yea, so far so good.

You can't tell if there is a voltage drop with a Provari. The provari actually regulates the volts and keeps it at a constant. You can only measure the voltage drop with a mechanical device and a multimeter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread