Zebra Spiders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I personally am not fond of spiders crawling around me or being near me, I don't despise them they just creep me right out. And though I am creeped out by them I'm still somewhat intrigued and fascinated with them. Especially one specific type of spider. The Zebra Spider/Jumping Spider/Salticus Scenicus, these little spiders are almost cute to me, and I don't mind if it crawls around on me, hangs out in my window above me.

I have been taking macro videos of insects up close whenever I see one that I find interesting or would just like to see up close. Using my Kodak Zi8 camera and a macro lens attachment I bought for it. I captured one of these Zebra Spiders in an old make-up container my girlfriend had given me for this reason. So I decided to take two videos of it.

First one, inside with low light

YouTube - Zebra Spider (Salticus scenicus) Part 1

The Second one, outside with the lid off I was letting him go after capturing him, and decided I'd try it again with daylight sun. I'm a little shakey, I'm 27 and shake like an 80 year old.

YouTube - Zebra Spider (Salticus scenicus) Part 2

quasimod

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Joplin, MO - USA
Yeah, those are cool. I think the gray, striped, fuzzy jumping spiders that hang out on windowsills are cute, too. Probably because it looks like they have smooth fur. I like that they don't build webs (to mess up the house), they creep up close to bugs and jump on 'em.

Spiders never bothered me, but roaches freak me out. Also, of all things, June Bugs. I don't know why, but June Bugs just look nasty and give me the willies. Spiders are cool. I don't like to kill them unless doing otherwise is too much trouble, because I really hate flies and mosquitoes, and I'm not wild about gnats.

gray striped ones, aren't they the same as the ones in the videos I posted? The other day although they don't build webs, they still use that to get around, it dropped down from my ceiling right onto my lap. Pretty cool.

Roaches are definitely disgusting. I know a lot of people bothered by June Bugs, I just don't like them smacking into my head, other than that I'm fine with them, haha.

quasimod

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Joplin, MO - USA
Rhetoric Camel said:
gray striped ones, aren't they the same as the ones in the videos I posted? /.../.

Can't look now, I'm out in the boonies on my phone. I may be remembering it wrong (I watched a couple of spider vids while I was there), but I remember the one in the video looking kind of brownish. The ones I've seen in person are mostly black w/gray markings. Same overall shape and distinctive style of movement, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread