Status
Not open for further replies.

j_fro

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2012
Upstate NY
wow. I hope brother Rat has one of the ZNA in his hands on Monday when I visit him. I now realllllly want to use one, I am sure as soon as I do I will have my heart set on getting one. I put some of my tobacco pipes on fleabay to generate some shekles for this endeavor. Looks like it will have to be timed right as well. Maybe I will just pick up a brevis while I wait...

Last edited:

GemCutter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2014
Maine USA
The vape is just amazing, single coil, two pieces of 28g twisted, .8ohm in the igo-w3 at 22watts is pure heaven. Juice I had stopped tasting and given up on is back in rotation.

The ergonomics are amazing, I kept hearing people say if you have hand issues this is the mod, but I didn't get it. However, compared to a bottom button firing mod, this is absolutely leaps and bounds ahead. A bottom-firing is like trying to open a tin can with your bare hands compared to using a can opener. It is that much of difference.

Someone who is disabled or has a hand injury, or arthritis, this could be a serious game changer, like "I can now vape pain free" game changer.

Just so intuitive, it's exactly where you want the fire button to be.

Evolv's chip is awesome sauce.

Still blown away by the design, pictures just don't do it justice. Work of art, that works!

GemCutter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2014
Maine USA
J-fro, I have an old Dunhill bruyere bulldog 110, saw one in great condition sell on ebay for 90 pounds or euros, it said used but it looked real nice. Mine is clearly well used, it scraped a little around the top of the bowl and the stem is slightly faded. Do you think it's still worth putting up?

And here is a pic for size scale. Beam me up Scotty!

image.jpg

Ray22

Nov 16, 2013
España
I feel the need to ask... does your bottom cap screw in completely using AW IMR's? There's no way I can, spring is way too stiff (sometimes I can even hear it like "click" on the inside). I can force it to mount almost flush (~1mm gap), but my batteries get scratched. Another problem I've found, judging by touch, I believe there is no reverse polarity protection at all, the pin that touches the positive exceeds from the delrin. Not willing to try at all...

Also, I can see some machining issues here and there, quarter of a circle scratches where the box that holds the dna makes a corner with the tube halfway to the corner where the LCD is at both sides, some irregularities in the cutting of that piece, and a thick line in the switch just where it bends (this last one I found is quite normal, but it's there). Plus, the battery tube doesn't sit completely flush at the top, it stands out by almost 1mm at the opposite side of the screen.

It's not likes it's crap or subpar quality, all in all it's an amazing PV, I just believe it's a way too complicated device to make, and quality control hasn't been as high as I'd expected watching Mike's interviews and so on (hype is way too bad, this has happened before to Imeo fans, and it's happened to me now with Zen). Anyway I wanted to know if any of you has seen this kind of things or if mine's a lemon or sth.

I'll try to post pics tomorrow of the issues I've described. BTW, new batteries, with around 20 cycles, and the DNA30 always says weak battery. They are the real deal, they're from an official AW distributor, I don't know why it just keeps on saying weak battery always (JUST when it starts up, then it fires without a hassle). DNA20 does the same thing though so...as long as it keeps on firing, I'm not too worried.

BTW: Being fair with this device despite what I've said, construction is top notch, the concept is really close to perfect except for the 510 connector, and the buttons, specially the firing one is, simply put, just the best I've ever seen in a VV/VW device by far. It's the only VW mod I've been able to use with gloves!

Last edited:

GemCutter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2014
Maine USA
Yep I got 2 aw imr 18490's and they both fit perfect, just a little tight and weird feeling as it tightens up fully, but the bottom and top caps sit perfectly flush. I checked my 18500, no chance, it wasn't going to fit at all so I didn't even try to tighten it down, so that one millimeter makes a big difference, I wonder if your 490's are taller than they are supposed to be?

Yeah that weak battery thing is annoying.

Yeah pretty sure they said there is no reverse protection and it will fry the board, the mechanical protection, the delrin ring should stop it from connecting on a negative although it looks like the post on mine might stick out a touch, I am always OCD about double checking that anyway.

Last edited:

Ray22

Nov 16, 2013
España
Yep I got 2 aw imr 18490's and they both fit perfect, just a little tight and weird feeling as it tightens up fully, but the bottom and top caps sit perfectly flush. I checked my 18500, no chance, it wasn't going to fit at all so I didn't even try to tighten it down, so that one millimeter makes a big difference, I wonder if your 490's are taller than they are supposed to be?

Yeah that weak battery thing is annoying.

Yeah pretty sure they said there is no reverse protection and it will fry the board, the mechanical protection, the delrin ring should stop it from connecting on a negative although it looks like the post on mine might stick out a touch, I am always OCD about double checking that anyway.

There's always a slight tolerance in batteries, Zen had to change the delrin because of that indeed (it was on Zen's blog at HoH website). There are batteries that fit better than others.

Anyway I believe the problem is the spring, way too stiff. About the battery reverse protection, I ain't got a problem with that at all, but it's just something the ZNA hasn't lived up to its specs. For me it's no big deal, but I found it was a nice feature (and an exclusive one too for a DNA) as some people are less careful than others and might fry the board.

Anyway I hope I can talk to Mike tomorrow and talk to him about this things. I'm making a review of the ZNA (in spanish) and I'd like to have all this things well explained and not take for granted that all ZNA's have the same problems as mine.

BTW, hasn't the pin scratched the positive of your batteries a bit? This seems like no big deal but to be fair, it's not good at all for the batteries, and if using them like that with other mods (say reo for example) it might create somewhat of a voltaic arc.

LilyBear

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2011
Western NY
Darnit I forgot about the "rotation" once I got the ZNA! Maybe I should give it a rest...........I am still taking it with me though LOL
I'm in the same boat brotha... I will never part with my original first edition ss standard and mini... I use them in rotation with all my other zen~ gear ;)...but then, my Ti standard isn't going anywhere too...it NEVER comes outta my rotation ;)

FACE MEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Costa Mesa, CA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread