~ zenesis questions ~

Status
Not open for further replies.

tastyjuice

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Yukon Oklahoma
I recently acquired my first Zenesis mini #151 on the FS/FT forum, thanks to a very cool guy odogg_mia \m/. Ive wanted one of these since I started vaping so Im pretty proud of it. I had done quit a bit of research on these before I bought it so I thought I would have some basic knowledge of how to set it up and operate it. WRONG! When your holding it in your hands and trying to wrap a coil with that tiny little WIRE!!! I got a little frustrated. But I sat down and watched video after video and I finally wrapped a good coil yesterday (400 mesh with a 3/4 wrap of .325)

This brings me to my first question, I know I'm suppose to place the hole perpendicular with the wick, but is the hole facing away from you or towards you? Ive been having the air hole face me. Because of the juice filler hole will leak juice, correct? I do this but Im still leaking a lot of juice. Juice all over my connections, all in the top cap. Should there be some kind of plug in there? The last thing I want to do is waste good juice. But the plus side to this is that I m vaping HUGE thick white clouds of pure goodness. This is by far the best vaping experience I have ever had :vapor:

On one of my many wick rolling attempts I melted one of the small plastic wick insulators to the wick. Right after that I watched a video of someone rolling a wick for an ac9, they did not have an insulator. If I dont have to use the insulator does that mean I can make larger wicks? Bigger wick, larger kanthal, longer life and a better overall vap, correct?

Thanks for any tips or advice :D

Last edited:

Ottotek

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 11, 2013
Michigan
My ZAP did not come with wick insulators, and I have had no issues with the wick shorting out to the deck. My Z2 did not come with insulators either, but the wick hole is ginormous! E-Stix is sending me some insulators; I will try them out, but so far, my Fatboy wick is doing well uninsulated, with a 3/4 wrap of 30ga Kanthal.

tastyjuice

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Yukon Oklahoma
The air hole should be right in front of the coil facing you. Sounds like ur over tilting the mod and making a mess. Let the mesh do most of the wicking, tilt only when needed.

Ken

Alright so now that Im not tilting it as much I get more dry hits. Still confused by this. Why is there no plug for the fill hole. I was thinking about making one out of a toothpick. Any suggestions?

tastyjuice

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Yukon Oklahoma
My ZAP did not come with wick insulators, and I have had no issues with the wick shorting out to the deck. My Z2 did not come with insulators either, but the wick hole is ginormous! E-Stix is sending me some insulators; I will try them out, but so far, my Fatboy wick is doing well uninsulated, with a 3/4 wrap of 30ga Kanthal.

SO insulators are not a used to prevent shorts? Then why are they called insulators? When my wick finally goes out I will try it. I say they should make a small tube or cap that attaches to the bottom of the tank that prevents the wick from making contact to the base. That would make things easier and it would always make your wick straight while wrapping. Just my 2 cents

Last edited:

Ottotek

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 11, 2013
Michigan
I think a cap for the phil hole (apologies to pbusardo) would be OK, but a cap on the bottom end of the wick could restrict the fluid wicking. As far as the insulators, my understanding is that if the wick is oxidized well, it should not short to the deck. The insulator will just insure that there are no shorts to the deck, especially if you're using the pulse method to oxidize your wick/coil assy.

floridaBMW

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2012
S. Florida
Alright so now that Im not tilting it as much I get more dry hits. Still confused by this. Why is there no plug for the fill hole. I was thinking about making one out of a toothpick. Any suggestions?

Maybe ur chain vaping and the mesh cant keep up? Take the top cap off and see if ur mesh is even wicking. Could be the juice is just pouring out onto the wick from the xtra space in the wick hole.....I really don't know what the prob is...sorry lol..

Ken

ksmith

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2011
Colcord, Oklahoma
tasty, the insulator was a feature that Mike added for safety for the less than experienced users that didn't have much experience in oxidizing mesh. I run about half of mine without the insulator and haven't had any shorting as long as I oxidize my wicks fully. As for the fill hole, I don't believe that is where your leaking is coming from and I believe I read that plugging it would cause wicking problems. If you are having excessive juice buildup under the top cap it is more than likely due to over-wicking. Like what was suggested before, try tilting a little less. I normally tilt mine at about 4 o'clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread