Zenesis vs The Katana

Status
Not open for further replies.

the ob

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2011
Portlandia
I wanted to post a comparison of the Katana and the Zenesis genesis devices.

I have had many ask (in PM) because I have both devices. I am now prepared to do a side by side as I have had both long enough to do that. Mind you, I am not one to bash others devices. I am not one to bash in general. I feel that badmouthing others in general makes you look like an .... I just want to give a honest comparison and my thoughts. Mind you, these are my first devices of this kind and what I will say will come from the point of view of a someone who had never owned a genesis device before owning these.

I received my katana first. I immediately turned a screw inside too hard and broke it. This happened mind you before I even used it ONCE. I had done this because the screw seemed to be uneven. The good news is that my mistake helped at least a couple of other people I know not break theirs by doing the same thing. :)

I sent it to my friend (here in the USA thankfully) and he promptly fixed it for me. He is a amazing person and a great resource. He is very fond of those devices and respectful of the maker. I am going to try to do the same while comparing the two. I am going to give the same respect to Zen.

Here are my thoughts and things that I have noticed so far.

The Katana for whatever reason, seems to be more "photogenic" There are more curves and angles and perhaps this is why. I can tell you that in person, the Zenesis is very beautiful as well. Most that own them by now would probably agree that it is definitely more impressive in person than in the pictures. Maybe it is because of the solid construction and maybe the weight.

The Katana is lighter. I would not go as far to say it feels flimsy, but the Zenesis feels more substantial in your hands. Part of it is the weight, and partly because it just feels more solid.

There are features that many find appealing about the Katana that I would like to discuss. There is the ability to convert it from a 18650 device to a smaller 18350 device. This was a very appealing feature. A convertible of sorts. While this was super appealing, I have found that I do not use it in both modes in the same period of time. I normally leave one tube at home and then just leave it in the way that I set it up when I took it. In the end this which I found so appealing, really did not end up being a huge advantage for me. Now that I am fortunate enough to own both a mini and a standard, this feature and they way I use them has become a moot issue.

The tank screw on cover is another feature that many like for its "cool" factor. Once again, I was excited about this, but realized that the tank is plastic and that it would not break and in the end it sometimes is not really necessary as I have to unscrew it to see how much juice is in there. I guess it is possible that the cover might protect the tank in the case of a serious mishap, but once again being plastic I would be surprised. I have extra plastic to make tanks as well. I have to admit it does look good though.

The screw on tank is probably the main feature that most love. I get this. Having broken a number of coils in my pocket when the cap comes off, I can see why this feature might be appealing. That being said, from what I understand the adjustable throat hit is not a possibility with this type of cap and Zen has chosen to take that route. I can understand why. Although, I do not use this feature often, I know many do. I do love just being able to pop the top off at will as it is much quicker.

The Katana has a lock ring that is a nice feature. I will not say it is any better or easier than just unscrewing the Zenesis, but I do know when it is fully locked. With the Zenesis, I probably unscrew it farther than it has to go just to make sure.

I find that in general, the threads are much cleaner and just work easier on the Zenesis. My Katana squeaks as I unscrew it which is unsettling for my dog who thinks it is a squirrel. :)

I find it much easier to unscrew the screws in the Zenesis. I have never understood why anything would use a conventional screw any longer. They are often hard to keep the screwdriver in place. On the Katana, the screw hole has a screw which is so small that it sometimes takes about 10 min to get it back in. I tried to get a magnetic screwdriver, but that did not work. I tried to magnetize the screw, that did not work. I finally just left it out. The positive and negative screws have the same ones and I personally find them harder to work than the ones on the Zenesis. The fact that one size screwdriver may be a advantage here, but as I said I personally do not know why anyone would use a conventional screw, when to me there seem to be better options. Even a phillips head would have been easier.

The switch on the Katana has a spring. It is fine, but I much prefer the magnets on the Zenesis. I purchased ones specifically to put in the Katana, but have yet to do that. The magnets provide a much smoother push.

I find that the taste is better to me on the Zenesis. Why this is the case, I cannot explain. I made the wick on the Katana, and while I thought I did a fine job, this could have some effect. Also, the airhole in the cap is small. I know people are drilling them out, but I am somewhat afraid to do that. When I first began using the Zenesis, it was a little airy for me. I now find that I prefer it. So much so, that I purchased adjustable drip tips, but do not use them.

The Zenesis fully comes apart and easily for cleaning. The Katana is cleaned by emptying the tank, and filling a syringe with water and flushing it out. Personally, I like to clean it out completely. I also like that no water is left in after I clean it.

I can understand why compared to other genesis devices, many would love the Katana. It is a nice device with some cool and even useful features. Mine is sitting cleaned currently in my box of toys and has been replaced currently by my Zenesi.

One thing to note is the entire package of what you receive from Zen. Wicks already made, coil, tools, case etc. You receive a entire package all ready with everything. Nothing to buy. Once again, some might like to futz. I know I do. I bought mesh and a blowtorch and will still continue to make my own stuff but just because I want to, not because I have to.

I love the fact that the person making them is here in the USA and that if necessary, I can just ship it off to him to fix. I was fortunate to have this in someone else, but I am sure our friend Lorderos does not want to do this full time. :) It is not that everything I buy is USA made, but if I can, I prefer to.

summary.

The Zenesis is easier to clean and use. It is much more solid and of course heavier, but for me, it just seems to be put together tighter. I like the cleaning method. I like that it is made in the USA. I like the switch. I like the fuzed quartz tanks. I like the draw. I like the fact that I could clobber any mugger (with the device itself :)) that tried to take it from me. :)

As I mentioned the Katana has a couple of features that might be appealing to some. The main one for me is the screw cap because of the way I carry. That being said, I have ended up with a pocket full of juice from that device tipping in the wrong way.

I just prefer the Zenesis because of the many reasons I listed.

I guess the most telling thing might be this. I am going out of town this weekend, and strongly considered taking the Katana instead of any of my Zenesis devices. Not because I preferred it or because of the convertible factor, but honestly because if it was confiscated at the airport, I would not be as upset as if they took my Zenesis devices. This is not meant to be a bashing of that device. It is just how I feel.

gimmieshelter31

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2011
Baltimore,MD
Thank you for the thoughtful insights . I must say , it has been frustrating waiting for the Zenesis to be more readily available for purchase . There seems to be a HUGE pent up demand for this device . I have resisted purchasing a different mod as it is the , no , THE mod I want to own . I hope I can procure a Zenesis in the next few months.
Thanks again,
Russ

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread