Zeus Tank Burnt Coils?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottishThistle

Sep 23, 2020
Good Morning/afternoon/evening where ever you reside friends.
I'm new to the forums so please excuse me if i have posted in the wrong section.
I switched from the smok morph 2019 kit to the aegis x zeus kit hoping it was an upgrade,
But the zeus tank coils are burning out so quick is this normal? a coil will last me a day, I still have my Mini V2 so i put the same juice in both tanks to see if it was the juice causing this, the mini v2 had to be changed after 1 week, the zeus coil started getting the burnt taste at the end of day 1, i then changed liquid to a less sweeter and from 70vg to 60vg and still the same problem.
I use the 0.2 mesh z2 coils vaping at 75 watts, the mini v2 i use the A1 coils vaping at 100 watts.
To prime the coils i soak the oil for 15 minutes and start vaping at 40 watts after the 15 minutes and build it up to the required wattage.
I was thinking of either sending the full kit back or buying a new tank the valyrian 2 but then again i would be taking another chance as i have never used this tank and could end up with the same problem as i have now.
I have seen the same issue with these coils on reddit posts but never a solution.
After reaching out to one of the users who had the same issue a few months back his reply was - "My only guess is the coils and tank setup just suck. I'm no longer using the aegis x for that reason"
I have contacted geekvape for their input and they just told me how to prime coils.

any suggestions would be great.

• Useful
Reactions: Izan

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi and welcome,
The Aegis X is a battery device. You can put any tank, from any manufacturer, on top.
Have you watched any videos of folks using the set up you have?
How long are your "draws" with the Zeus?
What is the suggested wattage for the coil you are using?
What is the nicotine content of the juice you are using?

Where are you located?

Cheers
I

ScottishThistle

Sep 23, 2020
Hi and welcome,
The Aegis X is a battery device. You can put any tank, from any manufacturer, on top.
Have you watched any videos of folks using the set up you have?
How long are your "draws" with the Zeus?
What is the suggested wattage for the coil you are using?
What is the nicotine content of the juice you are using?

Where are you located?

Cheers
I
Thank you for the reply, I'am from the UK and yes i watched videos on my setup it was the reason i purchased it as everyone had raving reviews about this setup including my local vape shop.
the time it reads for how long my puffs are is 1.80 seconds.
the coils i use the recommended watt is 60w-80w
nicotine strength is 3mg, i have never budged from this from day 1, i'm an ex smoker and curbed my addiction to smoking.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Thank you for the reply, I'am from the UK and yes i watched videos on my setup it was the reason i purchased it as everyone had raving reviews about this setup including my local vape shop.
the time it reads for how long my puffs are is 1.80 seconds.
the coils i use the recommended watt is 60w-80w
nicotine strength is 3mg, i have never budged from this from day 1, i'm an ex smoker and curbed my addiction to smoking.
I was thinking that you may not be inhaling strongly enough to cool the coil properly. You could also try releasing the fire button a quarter second before you stop inhaling to help cool the coil.
If the juice is very sweet or contains a large amount of flavoring you might also have some coil life issues.
In your stead, I would drop watts to 60 and see if it makes any difference.
Does the manufacturer offer any other coils that you could try? Perhaps they have one that fits better with your vaping style and technique.
Sorry to hear of your frustrations.

Hope you get it sorted.
Cheers
I

ScottishThistle

Sep 23, 2020
yeah, try to first release the hit button, then finish the draw.
I've been testing the Zeus for about a month, coils lasted around 2 weeks for me
i'm beginning to think it is oil related, because even the guy in my local vape shop said his zeus coils last a week, i do go for fruity ice flavors the 3 pictures attached have been the last 3 liquids i have had all have worked great in my mini v2 tank just not as great in my zeus tank
sourz-ice.png
zoom_Sweet_Spot_Whambar_100ml_120ml_Short_Fill_Nicotine_Free_E-Liquid.jpg
dr-frost-pink-soda-500x500-0_1000x1000.progressive.png.jpg

Reactions: dreamvaper

ScottishThistle

Sep 23, 2020
I was thinking that you may not be inhaling strongly enough to cool the coil properly. You could also try releasing the fire button a quarter second before you stop inhaling to help cool the coil.
If the juice is very sweet or contains a large amount of flavoring you might also have some coil life issues.
In your stead, I would drop watts to 60 and see if it makes any difference.
Does the manufacturer offer any other coils that you could try? Perhaps they have one that fits better with your vaping style and technique.
Sorry to hear of your frustrations.

Hope you get it sorted.
Cheers
I
thank you for the suggestions i will be sure to give it a go, the zeus tank offers 2 different coils - Mesh Z1 coil: 0.4ohm, 60- 70W and Mesh Z2 coil: 0.2ohm, 70- 80W
GeekVape-Zeus-Z2-Coils.jpg

asharru

Feb 7, 2015
pgh, pa
I've been using the same Zeus Z1 for over two weeks with some pretty dark liquids(coffee and granola cream). I vaped 120ml of the granola before switching, and the coil is still going strong. However I only vape between 45-55ish watts. Historically Smok tfv8 and knockoff coils are the only one's that have ever given my trouble, and the tfv8's are hit or miss...most of the time they work just fine. I didn't think I'd like the Zeus X as I like to use my own coils, but it was boxed with an aegis max I wanted, so I gave it a whirl. I've bought several more boxes of the coils since I like it so much. Are you sure the coils you have are authentic?

Last edited:
  • Useful

ScottishThistle

Sep 23, 2020
I've been using the same Zeus Z1 for over two weeks with some pretty dark liquids(coffee and granola cream). I vaped 120ml of the granola before switching, and the coil is still going strong. However I only vape between 45-55ish watts. Historically Smok tfv8 and knockoff coils are the only one's that have ever given my trouble, and the tfv8's are hit or miss...most of the time they work just fine. I didn't think I'd like the Zeus X as I like to use my own coils, but it was boxed with an aegis max I wanted, so I gave it a whirl. I've bought several more boxes of the coils since I like it so much. Are you sure the coils you have are authentic?
well this has been happening since coming out of the box with pre installed coils which was 8/9/20, i have went through 2 packs of coils since then and now on the 3rd where i changed yesterday morning and by 10pm last night it was burnt again, so for the time being i have went back to smok, both kit and coils has been verified by geekvape, understandably i know why the coil burnt out in half a day with the zeus as i got some oil back as a gift from america called candy punch by far e-liquids which is really meant for a dripper as its sweet and 75vg but used this as a stress test on the 2 tanks mentioned and as i said the zeus had burnt by 10pm after installing it at 10am, the v2 mini is still going today and was installed at the same time, so it has been 3 different oils tried all different vg/pg ratios, different flavors, only thing that stays the same is nicotine strength at 3mg, the zeus with all 3 oils has lasted 1 day apart from the sweeter higher vg one where it lasted half a day, the v2 lasted a week no matter the oil and with the latest sweeter higher vg oil that test was still ongoing but has already lasted a day more than the zeus

ScottishThistle

Sep 23, 2020
If you're looking for tank options @ScottishThistle, check out Freemax and Horizontech. They make some good DTL tanks.

But with your Zeus tank, are you making sure that the coil is primed sufficently before use?
you are not the only person to recommend me the freemax tank, having looked at it... it comes in all silver and that would annoy me as my mod is all black lol, in terms of priming the coils, i soak it for 15 minutes in the liquid, i then vape it without pressing the button, i start at 40watts, and then build it up to the required 75 watts. May i ask is it the falcon 2 tank you are referring to?

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Horizontech do the Falcon King and Falcon 2 tanks.

Freemax do the Fireluke 2 & 3, M Pro 1 & 2 and the Fireluke 22.

Any of them is a decent choice @ScottishThistle, unfortunately though they may not be matchy matchy. But the universe doesn't give you what you want, it gives you what you need.

At least Stainless Steel finish doesn't show the wear up quite as much though.

But for Black finish, I think that Horizontech may have you covered.

• Useful

Chris Sutton

Dec 31, 2017
Galveston, TX
I was browsing through threads looking to see where I might find coils, and saw your tag. I had the exact same setup... Aegis mod with a zues setup, and I'm having the same issues. I ended up putting a different tank on with prefabbed coils. Apparently, I'm going to have to get back into making coils again, so I wanted to insert myself in the thread, so if we can work on fixing this problem, I'll be in business still lol. I tried the single coil ammit tank, and the dual coil Zeus, and both go about the same. First day, everything's great, then the next, juice popping, turning flavor, then day 3, the cotton is burnt. So burnt that the middle cotton is gone. I wasn't vaping them at 100W or anything... I think I was getting around .7 ohm and usually 15-20W was a sweet spot. I've tried regular wire, different gauges, clapton wire, premade coils, and every single one has been the same: Day 1 fine, day 2 hot juice in the mouth, day 3 needs a change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread